What's your best little tip that has helped you?

Options

Replies

• nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Eating when I was hungry and not when the clock said I should eat. Before, I had too much time left at the end of my calories.
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    -lots of water and gum between meals

-When I'm out of calories and want something salty I like to eat whole pickles. Only about 5 or 10 calories.

-Fiber one brownies in the microwave for 10 seconds and then a dollop of cool whip on top is HEAVEN.

-On my hormonal "eat all the foods" days, I chug two tbsp of chia seeds in a glass of water/ crystal light after breakfast and lunch. Keeps me full for hours! 120 calories for two tbsp plus awesome source of fiber, protein and omega 3's.

-Coffee helps my cravings!

-fancy hot teas- like fruit or peppermint- help me with sweet cravings.

-I have a go-to low cal meal at every restaurant in town, so no stress when last minute dinner decisions are made!

This is a fun thread!
  • rmtdoug
    rmtdoug Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you go slow and don't chew them, you can make 50 m&m's last about an hour. Whenever I'm at least 100 calories under at the end of the day, I get a treat!
  • launchpadmkquak
    launchpadmkquak Posts: 53 Member
    Options

-Fiber one brownies in the microwave for 10 seconds and then a dollop of cool whip on top is HEAVEN.

I've done that. I've also put them in the refrigerator. Oddly different experiences.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    ebrass73 wrote: »
    Rewards for big milestones. I, personally, have a huge weakness for cute workout clothes and shoes. So, I set goals for myself that when I reach (A) goal weight or (B) exercise goal or (C) get through a holiday without eating sweets, then I'll reward myself by purchasing something cute. When I finished my half-marathon last fall, I bought myself a pair of Nike Frees. Look good, feel good!

When I'm tempted to eat sweets or other free junkfood in a public setting (like the teacher's lounge since I'm a teacher), I always ask myself, "Would I go out and buy this at a store with my own money?" If no, then I pass. If yes, then I splurge a little.

I love this. If it's not worth paying for, I shouldn't be snacking on it. Usually I munch at work because it's there, not because I really want it. It has helped to be mindful of that.
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You don't have to follow rules. You don't have to eat every 2 hours, 6 small meals, workout every day., use HIIT to lose fat etc. Make your own rules. Observe the facts and make your own. Example: I may fast in the am to get more work done as I am more productive. Then, I may eat half of my cereal and banana an hour before my workout, and then eat the other half as soon as I am done. I make small meals mini meals and stretch them. Other times I big out and sleep the day away
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I've done that. I've also put them in the refrigerator. Oddly different experiences.

They are so good! Oh, and the Special K blondie bites are my fave! They taste just like cookie dough bites!
  • rabblescum
    rabblescum Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When working out I tell myself well just finish these five minutes so it Is a round number, then when I get there it is oh just finish these x reps or the quarter mile, and when that is done I convince myself to finish rounding the time. It shouldnt work. I know I am tricking me. But damned if it doesn't work.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Food scale
  • Officially_Rosey
    Officially_Rosey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Food scale

Definitely one of the most handy things to have :smile:
  • JennaBelle86
    JennaBelle86 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The Fiber One dessert bars! They come in so many flavors and taste great. And you won't be tempted to eat more than one (or two) ... because, well, you know ... they are fiber bars! ;)
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I make myself eat a snack in the afternoon, even if I'm not hungry. Otherwise I'm too hungry when I get home from work and overeat.
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I made a rule try something new every week. It's turned into a fun challenge to find new foods and it helps me feel like I'm not "missing out"

Also making sure I pack fruit in my lunch for sweet cravings so I don't make a trip to the vending machine
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    titinyc wrote: »
    Tip #1: I can't tell you guys how many great habits I've started using the '21 Days' rule. A lot of psychologists say that it takes 21 days to make a practice into a habit, so if there's something I'd like to change, I'll commit to 21 days of it (which is just three weeks and feels totally palatable). For example, "I commit to drinking 8 glasses of water per day for three weeks." By the end of your tenure, it's pretty much something you've grown accustomed to doing daily. It's a really good process practice for little things you'd like to change to help along your journey.

Tip #2: when there's a movie you're reeeeeeeally excited about seeing on Netflix, bring your phone/iPad/laptop to the gym and watch it while walking on the treadmill or elliptical. You'll be so engrossed in your flick that you won't even notice you've just burned off 1000 cals. It's great!

Oh and I'm not even gonna lie, I love the 'workout next to a cute girl' rule. My gym is full of cute dudes and it's my #1 motivator for SURE. Best times to go are 5-7PM when they all get off work! :)

When I first started someone told me about this and tho I never looked it up it stuck in my mind. When the first week was hard I kept telling myself just 21 days. It really works.

I had a problem buying sodas at work it was a habit so I would purchase water after probably 14-21 days one day half way through my shift I realized wow I didn't have to buy a water today.

As far as a tip for me it was finding the right times to eat and what to eat. I also now sit at a table (which I have never done) each meal. It has helped me to realize "Hey you have ate" and when I am hungry realize only X amount of time till food.
  • sew205
    sew205 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ajfuelling wrote: »
    Also, related, if I REALLY just want something to eat, I give myself TOTAL PERMISSION to eat something... in an hour. By then then urge has passed, usually, or by then I'm close to my next meal so I can hold out. Something about not telling myself NO... that has been a thing.

YES. This 100%. Some part of me is still three years old, and throws an oppositional tantrum upon hearing "no, you can't eat this pint of ice cream". She's much less rebellious when told "sure, you can have it later." And then she's gotten distracted by something else when later rolls around.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Definitely a digital scale!
    When I first started I thought I was doing great using the portions/servings in the database. Then my loss seemed to slow right down. So I bought the scale on a recommendation and realized that I was so under recording my intake.
  • taylorwatson1
    taylorwatson1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I never miss a Monday workout, even if I only do a small workout, I never miss a Monday. I always think the week is more positive when I start it well.

Love the film idea, I think I'll be adopting that one and hopefully burning lots and lots of calories at the gym!

Love this thread :)
  • Tenster
    Tenster Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Record your calories as accurately as possible and always over estimate if in doubt.

Also don't put your excersise calories in, from what I can tell most people on here always over do the excersise calories.

Save carbs for after training
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!