How bad is wine?

2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,956 Member
    I've cut way back on wine (beer, etc.) to lose weight and get healthier (the latter's the main objective). I was drinking 1-2 drinks daily, and I can't do that *and* hit my macro/micro-nutrient targets every day, especially when in calorie deficit.

I've found I sleep better, wake up more energetic in the morning, and more good stuff, on top of any caloric/nutritional benefits.

I still have the occasional drink when I can fit it in and still get bulletproof nutrition, maybe once a week or so, or on special occasions.

Others experiences & priorities may vary; these are just mine.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Wine is good. Not as good as beer, mind you, but still good.

True. I prefer beer, but I can fit wine into my calories better for some reason. Beer always throws my weight loss off, but when I drink wine I always stay on track.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    I did find that I lost weight faster when I cut from a drink most nights to a couple of drinks a week. I always logged and stayed within my calories, but somehow it still mattered. Another approach is to reduce portion size, just like everything else. Get a champagne flute and fill it only half full. I was surprised that I am usually happy with that amount as much as with a half of a big red wine glass. I think for me it is sometimes more of an end-of-the day ritual and that seems to satisfy that desire with fewer calories.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    I love my wine...so I make sure there are calories allocated to it. Not an issue.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    edited April 2016
    If you want to be convinced not to drink, (although wine is delicious!) have you ever thought about what it's costing you in a financial sense?
    You say you drink mainly on the weekends - is that bottles you are buying yourself, or purchasing by the glass at a restaurant or pub/bar ? If you're buying a glass of wine for $8.70 per glass and you have 5-6 of them in a night - that can add up to a lot. What quality of wine are you buying? $10 bottles or $30 bottles? Go through 2-3 in a weekend - that's $100 right there.

What else could you be spending that money on? :):)
  • AggieCoffeeGirl
    AggieCoffeeGirl Posts: 1 Member
    Pathmonkey wrote: »
    Wine....goooooooood! :smiley:

It's so good!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    There is no "bad". All things in moderation.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    I like all of these responses. Wow, thank you!