Fitness tracker that DOES NOT add steps while driving??

Options
Hello everyone!
I have a Fitbit Charge HR which I really liked until I saw how many steps it calculates while driving. I've tried all the "fix" procedures and nothing works. I can't log my drive time because I am a FedEx delivery driver and it just isn't practical.

So my question is...is there a tracker that is tried and true, that does not calculate steps while driving? Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Also, I'm looking for something "somewhat" reasonable.

Thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Fitbit customer service? They are very helpful.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I found ones not on my arms work best for not logging driving. Because you are moving your arms around to steer it seems to give it enough motion to register thinking you are walking.
  • KennyLaguna2016
    KennyLaguna2016 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have you tried Fitbit customer service? They are very helpful.
    Yes I have, and yes they are! Unfortunately they are aware of the glitch and there isn't much they can do about it (except refund my money)

Driving in a FedEx truck all day is going to register some extra steps regardless.

Thank you for replying though!
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'd switch to a fitness tracker that doesn't sit on your wrist. I know that FitBit has some that can clip on to your shirt or pants. If you like the FitBit brand you could look into that, otherwise I'm sure all the other fitness tracking companies have similar models that are clip ons.
  • KennyLaguna2016
    Options
    Thank you for the replies!
    Any suggestions on a good "clip" tracker?
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies!
    Any suggestions on a good "clip" tracker?

My In-Laws both have a FitBit One and really enjoy it
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR and the Fitbit One. I tested them both while driving. On a 3 mile drive to work the HR counted 30 steps because of my hand movements. I had the Fitbit One in my pocket and it did not count any steps.
  • KennyLaguna2016
    Options
    EddieP50 wrote: »
    I have the Fitbit Charge HR and the Fitbit One. I tested them both while driving. On a 3 mile drive to work the HR counted 30 steps because of my hand movements. I had the Fitbit One in my pocket and it did not count any steps.
    Does your Fitbit One seem pretty accurate as far as counting steps that it should? The last clip on tracker I had (not a very good one) wouldn't register all my steps. I would test it by taking like 30 steps, and then check it. It would say I had only taken maybe 15 or so.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    The only time my Fitbit HR calculated steps while "driving" was when we were on off-road jeep tour in Arizona and got jounced around quite a bit. Otherwise, this has never happened to me. However, I wear mine on my non-dominant hand. Perhaps you can try that.
  • KennyLaguna2016
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    The only time my Fitbit HR calculated steps while "driving" was when we were on off-road jeep tour in Arizona and got jounced around quite a bit. Otherwise, this has never happened to me. However, I wear mine on my non-dominant hand. Perhaps you can try that.
    Thank you but I've tried EVERYTHING. The Change HR and FedEx trucks just don't get along! : (
    I'm surprised because my truck is actually a pretty smooth ride.
  • spritey86
    spritey86 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is an app you can download called drivebit. It stops my Charge HR counting but you do need to remember to turn it off and on or it assumes you are still driving while you are in fact stepping.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the "DriveBit" app?
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.littlebytes.android.fitbitdrive&hl=en
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/drivebit-free/id885089506?mt=8
    It logs your drives for you, and all you need to do is push a button when you start and stop driving. If it's too cumbersome, fitness trackers may not be for you. From what I remember, the "Moves" app was very good at recognizing driving (basically a step tracker on your phone), but last time I used it was 2 years ago, not sure if it's still as good after Facebook acquired it.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    My Charge HR never gives me steps while driving. Weird. I suspect the ones you wear on your body (Zip, One) would work better, though.
  • KennyLaguna2016
    Options
    spritey86 wrote: »
    There is an app you can download called drivebit. It stops my Charge HR counting but you do need to remember to turn it off and on or it assumes you are still driving while you are in fact stepping.
    Yes I tried Drivebit. Even though it says that drive time was registered successfully, when I check the Fitbit app, it still shows my unaccounted steps. It doesn't seem to make any adjustments.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my jawbone doesn't log driving as "steps"...I know cause I can be driving to work (which isn't that far) and I get buzzed for my inactivity (it's set for 15mins)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR which I really liked until I saw how many steps it calculates while driving. I've tried all the "fix" procedures and nothing works. I can't log my drive time because I am a FedEx delivery driver and it just isn't practical.

So my question is...is there a tracker that is tried and true, that does not calculate steps while driving? Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Also, I'm looking for something "somewhat" reasonable.

Thanks!

Only thing I found was to drive a less bumpy vehicle.

I did notice I log fewer driving steps with my Garmin Vivofit compared to my old Fitbit. I didn't worry too much though because I averaged less than 1 step per 2 minutes of driving with the Fitbit (yes, I tested it to see just what the driving count was).
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit one that I clip to my pants and it does often count steps/floors while driving. In my car it isn't so bad, but a truck that doesn't ride as smooth usually racks up the steps. (Similar to your delivery truck I'm guessing.)
    So I would say save your money, the One isn't going to solve that.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My microsoft band 2 doesn't add steps while I'm driving. I haven't logged this over a long period of time to confirm that it never does it, rather, I've checked it a couple of times before and after a drive and it seemed to not be confused by what was going on.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    my Mircosoft band 1 doesn't add steps for driving either and I drive a very old bouncy polo
  • KennyLaguna2016
    Options
    I have a FitBit one that I clip to my pants and it does often count steps/floors while driving. In my car it isn't so bad, but a truck that doesn't ride as smooth usually racks up the steps. (Similar to your delivery truck I'm guessing.)
    So I would say save your money, the One isn't going to solve that.
    crap. Not what I was hoping to hear! I was actually leaning towards one. Thank you for your honesty!