Fitness tracker that DOES NOT add steps while driving??

Options

Replies

• KennyLaguna2016
    KennyLaguna2016 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »
    my Mircosoft band 1 doesn't add steps for driving either and I drive a very old bouncy polo

Interesting. So I'm assuming you've tested it. That's good to hear knowin you drive a bouncy truck!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I usually just take it off and put it in my pocket.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    My Garmin Fenix 3 watch doesn't add steps while driving. Well, maybe a dozen over a hundred miles. It used to pick up a lot of steps (probably from turning the steering wheel) but people complained and Garmin fixed it.
  • KennyLaguna2016
    Options
    My Garmin Fenix 3 watch doesn't add steps while driving. Well, maybe a dozen over a hundred miles. It used to pick up a lot of steps (probably from turning the steering wheel) but people complained and Garmin fixed it.

Just a little out of my price range! Thanks though!
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit One for over two years and have had ZERO issues with it. I often test the steps against what is logged on the elliptical and it has always been spot on. Mine does not record steps while driving nor does it record steps/floors like another person said it did for them. I have even climbed tall ladders before and while it counted each rung as a step, it did not count the heighth I climbed as a floor. (I was curious so I tested it by climbing up onto my roof :) ... I clip mine on the inside of my pocket for the most part. At the gym, depending on the exercise, I may clip it on my shoelaces, my sports bra or inside my sock for protection.
  • Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you think in the truck is bad, you should definitely not try on a motorcycle. Mine have added over 1500 steps for a 20 minute ride. And doesn't matter if you put it in a jacket pocket or in a backpack, the steps still add up :neutral:

I had to start placing my fitbit in a portable charger to keep it from adding steps.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just take it off while your driving? it seems like the most straight forward solution but might not be suitable if you have lots of delivery stops and need to keep putting it back on every few minutes.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My husband has the same problem with his Fitbit Charge HR when he drives his DOT truck. It's fine in his pickup, so I think it's a big truck thing. I have a fitbit one that seems fine in the car, but goes crazy on the Harley. Had like 14,000 steps - and over 600 flights of stairs - on one of our rides last summer!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I've had a Fitbit One for over two years and have had ZERO issues with it. I often test the steps against what is logged on the elliptical and it has always been spot on. Mine does not record steps while driving nor does it record steps/floors like another person said it did for them. I have even climbed tall ladders before and while it counted each rung as a step, it did not count the heighth I climbed as a floor. (I was curious so I tested it by climbing up onto my roof :) ... I clip mine on the inside of my pocket for the most part. At the gym, depending on the exercise, I may clip it on my shoelaces, my sports bra or inside my sock for protection.

What do you typically drive? As I mentioned, my daily driver, which is a car, does not have a problem adding steps. But in larger trucks that don't ride as smooth, it seems to pick up the steps/stairs more.
    I am lucky I only drive the trucks occasionally for work, but the days I drive for about 60 minutes result in 25+ flights of stairs. Way more than I average.
    I have a friend who has issues on motorcycles with a Fitbit Charge, just like Jen mentioned.

For daily activity/gym/cardio I love the One, and I actually find it's calorie burn to be pretty accurate for myself. But if OP is driving around in a large truck daily for work, I think he's going to be frustrated if he buys a new FitBit and has the same problem.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies!
    Any suggestions on a good "clip" tracker?

I've had a wonderful experience with my Misfit Shine. It can be worn as a watch or a clip, and I wear it as a clip and don't have a problem with it counting steps when I'm driving. The Misfit Flash is similar and cheaper, but I don't have personal experience with it.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options

What do you typically drive? As I mentioned, my daily driver, which is a car, does not have a problem adding steps. But in larger trucks that don't ride as smooth, it seems to pick up the steps/stairs more.
    I am lucky I only drive the trucks occasionally for work, but the days I drive for about 60 minutes result in 25+ flights of stairs. Way more than I average.
    I have a friend who has issues on motorcycles with a Fitbit Charge, just like Jen mentioned.

For daily activity/gym/cardio I love the One, and I actually find it's calorie burn to be pretty accurate for myself. But if OP is driving around in a large truck daily for work, I think he's going to be frustrated if he buys a new FitBit and has the same problem.

I drive a Jeep as well as a Tundra truck ... so my vehicles are not conducive to those "extra" steps ... I guess I can see how a large work truck might add them if it was worn on the wrist but still don't see it if it was clipped to a belt of pocket.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    @SezxyStef how do you like your jawbone? Which one do you have? I bought the charge hr and the jawbone up3 this week. I just put the Fitbit on and will try the jawbone also trying to decide which I like.
  • KennyLaguna2016
    Options

I drive a Jeep as well as a Tundra truck ... so my vehicles are not conducive to those "extra" steps ... I guess I can see how a large work truck might add them if it was worn on the wrist but still don't see it if it was clipped to a belt of pocket.
    Unfortunately I tried just sticking it in my pocket. I didn't have much luck going that route either.
  • hummingbird314
    hummingbird314 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I wear my Misfit shine on my shirt or in my pocket and it doesn't calculate extra steps while driving. My Fitbit Charge definitely does.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Amerane wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies!
    Any suggestions on a good "clip" tracker?

I've had a wonderful experience with my Misfit Shine. It can be worn as a watch or a clip, and I wear it as a clip and don't have a problem with it counting steps when I'm driving. The Misfit Flash is similar and cheaper, but I don't have personal experience with it.

You beat me to it! My Misfit Shine doesn't count steps while I'm driving, either. Mine can be worn as a clip, watch or pendant and it's pretty accurate as far as I can tell.
  • KennyLaguna2016
    Options
    I wear my Misfit shine on my shirt or in my pocket and it doesn't calculate extra steps while driving. My Fitbit Charge definitely does.
    I just pulled the trigger and bought one! Everyone who has mentioned the Shine has said that it doesn't track steps while driving. Definitely worth a shot, and it won't break the bank!
  • achocolateaffair
    achocolateaffair Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to have found this thread because I am a bus driver and have completely quit using my Fitbit for the SAME reason!!!!! I'm TOTALLY going to try the Fitbit one I saw mentioned here. I didnt know that existed. Thanks for this post!
  • achocolateaffair
    achocolateaffair Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Or I'll try the Shine...
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've had Fitbit and Garmins, and so far the most accurate tracker that I've had is my current one - Xiaomi Mi Band 3, the previous version Band 2 was very good as well, but they've definitely improved it in version 3 (and btw Band 4 should be coming out soon if I'm not wrong). I had a couple of Garmins, but I wasn't very happy with them. Then I used Xiaomi Mi Band 2 for over a year and was delightfully surprised how good it was for such a cheap tracker. I switched to a Fitbit Flex as I got it as a birthday present and decided to try it but after about a month or two I just stopped wearing it - it was the most inaccurate tracker I had ever had. Might be the model, but it kind of "turned me off" Fitbit. I ditched it and for a while wore nothing, but in the end, I decided to get the new at the time Xiaomi Mi Band 3 and I've been extremely happy with what I got.

And it's cheap - I got mine for about $30.

I stumbled upon this thread in the morning and I decided to double check the accuracy of the Band 3 as I was going out, with about 100km of a drive. A few details - I wear mine on the right hand, I'm right-handed and my car is a manual (so right hand is moving a lot), I'm driving a small car with a not so great suspension and the streets around here are quite bumpy/holes. So for the whole ride, with multiple stops, a few walks to stores, and some more driving the tracker estimated 0 false steps - I did check the numbers prior to each getting into the car and prior to getting out of the car. I'm not saying that they've fully eliminated this issue, but they've limited the problem to a minimum (at least compared to my two previous Garmins and my Fitbit flex - for my drive from/to work (about 8km) they were always giving me additional 500-1000 steps which was absurd).

So it's worth the consideration.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    this thread is quite old but I know a few things have changed.

Jawbone is out of business for wearables
    Fitbit has changed how it counts steps. It is no longer based on the swing of an arm it is based on concussion as your foot hits the ground.
    This is how others do it as well so any false steps will be along the same lines for most trackers now.
    All of them count steps that we didn't take.
    These are not meant to be 100% but a useful tool in a total tool box.