I want to build muscle

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    I'd really suggest skipping the home gym, for now, and going to a gym that has everything you need if you want to get serious about building muscle. Especially if you're just getting into it. Make sure you'll stick with it prior to spending the major money on outfitting a home gym.

^^^ Absolutely agree with that statement
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    I am also a beginner in strength training and doing it at home.
    I bought and follow the Chalean Extreme program and I love it !
    Look it up !
    (I found it for 40$)
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by more than lean muscle. I'm a beginner lifter too, so can't advise you too much.

I am setting up a home gym though. I think there are a lot of reasons that working out at home is easier and more doable, so not sure why everyone thinks you need to join a gym. It's not all that expensive if you have space. I have a treadmill (free, was DH's parents' that they never used), a suspension system (TRX knock-off, $40 on amazon), resistance bands ($30 on Amazon), a bench (bought for $50 at Walmart 10 years ago), a yoga mat ($20 at Costco), barbell and weights (free, DH's from high school). My splurges were Powerblock dumbbells ($300) and a Power rack ($320). All in all, I have a pretty good set up for the price of a few months' gym membership.

People will tell you that when starting to lift, you should have a professionally designed program. Meaning don't just create your own if you don't know what you're doing. I'm going through the book "Strong" by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. Others you can do are Strong Lifts, Ice Cream Fitness, Strong Curves, I'm sure there are others.

And I workout so much more than I would if I had to actually go to a gym. Never have to wait for any equipment. And I can pause to hug my babies if I need to :)

thanks for the great info :smiley:
  • sexymom04
    Get a set of hand weights. I use dumbbells everyday, at home and at the gym. There are a lot of things that you can do with them. You dont have to go heavy at first you can work on building your strength. I started with 8lbs and in three months am up to 20-25lb dumbbells depending on what exercise I do. I work closely with my trainer and get lots of good advice from a knit tight group of people and it has helped tremendously.

Another piece of home equipment that I got that was very inexpensive was suspension training equipment. There are alot of things that you can work on with that as well.

I have also started in-taking more protein and watching my macros a lot. You should consume a gram of protein per pound of your weight. If you weigh 125lbs then you should have 125grams of protein in your diet.

Whatever you decide to do like someone said earlier stick with it. Only you can make the difference for you.

Good luck!

I have hand weights, 3,5 and 10 lbs and I've been eating more protein as well.
  • sexymom04
    rileyes wrote: »
    I have a Vectra home gym that mostly collects dust except for the cable part. Look at functional trainers or cable trainers over the fixed machines. Go for "free-range-of-movement".

The other equipment you might consider is Olympic barbell, weights, bench, and cage. This is my go-to. I can also hook up bands and a suspension trainer to my half cage. And I added a Landmine sleeve for variety.

so free weights are better than the pully system?
  • sexymom04
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    You can build muscle, you will get strong. Go to a gym, stick to a programme and prove them all wrong!

You're a poet.

OP, try beginners strength training program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength. They're awesome.

I'll look into those, thank you
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited April 2016
    sexymom04 wrote: »
    Get a set of hand weights. I use dumbbells everyday, at home and at the gym. There are a lot of things that you can do with them. You dont have to go heavy at first you can work on building your strength. I started with 8lbs and in three months am up to 20-25lb dumbbells depending on what exercise I do. I work closely with my trainer and get lots of good advice from a knit tight group of people and it has helped tremendously.

Another piece of home equipment that I got that was very inexpensive was suspension training equipment. There are alot of things that you can work on with that as well.

I have also started in-taking more protein and watching my macros a lot. You should consume a gram of protein per pound of your weight. If you weigh 125lbs then you should have 125grams of protein in your diet.

Whatever you decide to do like someone said earlier stick with it. Only you can make the difference for you.

Good luck!

okay so what I've seen so far as suggestions are resistance training (ETA except SL and SS). That can build strength to a point but not muscle.

To build muscle you need to do a progressive load lifting program and eat in a caloric surplus...

Now OP are you sure you want to build muscle or are you looking to build strength and show the muscle you have...ie look lean.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Moderate caloric surplus, heavy compound barbell training, progressive overload and above all CONSISTENCY.

I second the Starting Strength or Stronglifts suggestion.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Good luck!

okay so what I've seen so far as suggestions are resistance training (ETA except SL and SS). That can build strength to a point but not muscle.

To build muscle you need to do a progressive load lifting program and eat in a caloric surplus...

Now OP are you sure you want to build muscle or are you looking to build strength and show the muscle you have...ie look lean.

I think she did say that she didn't want to just be lean, which I take as not just wanting to cut off body fat to show the muscle definition. I think what OP wants is to build muscle. OP: If you're focus is to just build muscle, and as muscle as you possibly can, you need to eat in a surplus and lift heavy. Suspension training, body weight training and the like may work for the short term but as your strength increases, you're going to need to increase the weight. This is called progressive overload. A home gym may work initially but you're going to have to buy heavier and heavier weights to keep up with the progressive overload. That's why you have people saying that a gym will suit your needs better. Specifically for certain reasons, 1. Most gyms have knowledgeable people that work there that can focus you on the exercises and equipment to use. 2. A good gym will always have the weights you need and 3. You do want someone to be able to check your form so you don't injure yourself or spot you when you're lifting at max.

I typically don't like set programs because they're a one size fits all type of deal. Some people already may have well developed glutes and legs and some routines will focus on compounds like deadlifts that will work areas that you are already strong in. It might be worth your while to have someone design a program that works specifically for you and focuses on your weak areas so that you don't get muscle imbalances.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Good luck!

I think she did say that she didn't want to just be lean, which I take as not just wanting to cut off body fat to show the muscle definition. I think what OP wants is to build muscle. OP: If you're focus is to just build muscle, and as muscle as you possibly can, you need to eat in a surplus and lift heavy. Suspension training, body weight training and the like may work for the short term but as your strength increases, you're going to need to increase the weight. This is called progressive overload. A home gym may work initially but you're going to have to buy heavier and heavier weights to keep up with the progressive overload. That's why you have people saying that a gym will suit your needs better. Specifically for certain reasons, 1. Most gyms have knowledgeable people that work there that can focus you on the exercises and equipment to use. 2. A good gym will always have the weights you need and 3. You do want someone to be able to check your form so you don't injure yourself or spot you when you're lifting at max.

I typically don't like set programs because they're a one size fits all type of deal. Some people already may have well developed glutes and legs and some routines will focus on compounds like deadlifts that will work areas that you are already strong in. It might be worth your while to have someone design a program that works specifically for you and focuses on your weak areas so that you don't get muscle imbalances.

See I take that to mean "I don't want to be skinny with no definition" hence why I asked the OP.

As for home gym I have one and have yet to run out of plates.

I have 300lbs at home a bench and a couple bars and my squat rack....for safe lifting of course. My son and husband spot for me and if they aren't home that's why I have my rack.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    rileyes wrote: »
    I have a Vectra home gym that mostly collects dust except for the cable part. Look at functional trainers or cable trainers over the fixed machines. Go for "free-range-of-movement".

The other equipment you might consider is Olympic barbell, weights, bench, and cage. This is my go-to. I can also hook up bands and a suspension trainer to my half cage. And I added a Landmine sleeve for variety.

so free weights are better than the pully system?

Free weights or cables mainly.

When you said "home gym", did you mean an all-in-one gym? If so, I would choose one that allows for free range of motion where your whole body is working to stabilize as you perform a movement. That would be free weights like barbell training or cables. Functional trainers work with cables. Look for one that you can adjust the pulley to be at different heights so you can perform more movements (Lat pull-downs, adductions, horizontal chops...). A good full range of motion cable system can be pricey but can last you a lifetime. There are a lot of cheap ones on the market that have limited range and not worth the crowding of your space.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    edited April 2016
    It is tougher for women to build muscle than it is for guys, but it is still very doable!!! As a beginner, you will likely see initial growth rather quickly. There are many, many good programs available for free on bodybuilding.com. Also, learn as much about diet as you do about exercise because diet is going to be determinative. Without a muscle-building diet, you aren't going to see growth. Specifically, if you want to "build" you will need to be in a caloric surplus. If you have fat to lose and are a beginner, it is possible to do both fat loss and muscle building simultaneously, which is called a "recomposition", but you will not see drops in the scale. If scale numbers motivate you, this could be discouraging, so look to calipers (not very reliable) or use pictures and a simple tape measure. You will shrink and change shape, but the scale won't budge. The measurements and photos will help you see how far you've come.

The "big lifts" are great for building muscle--deadlifts, squats, presses, cleans, hip thrusters, etc. To start with, look for a set of dumbbells. Or, if you can, join a good gym, as the Olympic type weights are expensive and take up a lot of room. Look to craigslist and garage sales for good buys. I've picked up a lot of stuff that way. Also, look into bands--I do a mean lower body workout with bands (not the ones with handles, although those are great too, but the ones that look like rubber bands). You can purchase an entire set of these on Amazon for about $15.00. I use them all the time when I travel to places without a good gym. If you like a set program, seriously look at bodybuilding.com. T-Nation is also great, but they are geared mostly toward men, so if you're easily offended by language, that's not one for you. However, their information is top notch. Bodybuilding.com permits you to search by goals, they have great workouts, and there are linked videos which explain and demonstrate the lifts. If you're into a "set" program and have only dumbbells, I would recommend Body Beast, which is a Beach Body product. No, I'm not a coach, so I'm not trying to sell you one. It's a good program. Its initial audience was guys, but a ton of women do it. I'm part of a FB group that has 16,000 women who use that program and have had amazing results.

For nutrition, I would recommend, "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. It will also give you some programs, but it explains the entire "macros" piece of this. It is important to feed your body properly for muscle growth-- .8-1.5 grams/protein per pound of body weight. Sufficient carbs and good fats. Most people have a very hard time meeting the protein goal without protein powders/shakes.

• lindalee0315
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    Moderate caloric surplus, heavy compound barbell training, progressive overload and above all CONSISTENCY.

I second the Starting Strength or Stronglifts suggestion.

This!!
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    It is tougher for women to build muscle than it is for guys, but it is still very doable!!! As a beginner, you will likely see initial growth rather quickly. There are many, many good programs available for free on bodybuilding.com. Also, learn as much about diet as you do about exercise because diet is going to be determinative. Without a muscle-building diet, you aren't going to see growth. Specifically, if you want to "build" you will need to be in a caloric surplus. If you have fat to lose and are a beginner, it is possible to do both fat loss and muscle building simultaneously, which is called a "recomposition", but you will not see drops in the scale. If scale numbers motivate you, this could be discouraging, so look to calipers (not very reliable) or use pictures and a simple tape measure. You will shrink and change shape, but the scale won't budge. The measurements and photos will help you see how far you've come.

The "big lifts" are great for building muscle--deadlifts, squats, presses, cleans, hip thrusters, etc. To start with, look for a set of dumbbells. Or, if you can, join a good gym, as the Olympic type weights are expensive and take up a lot of room. Look to craigslist and garage sales for good buys. I've picked up a lot of stuff that way. Also, look into bands--I do a mean lower body workout with bands (not the ones with handles, although those are great too, but the ones that look like rubber bands). You can purchase an entire set of these on Amazon for about $15.00. I use them all the time when I travel to places without a good gym. If you like a set program, seriously look at bodybuilding.com. T-Nation is also great, but they are geared mostly toward men, so if you're easily offended by language, that's not one for you. However, their information is top notch. Bodybuilding.com permits you to search by goals, they have great workouts, and there are linked videos which explain and demonstrate the lifts. If you're into a "set" program and have only dumbbells, I would recommend Body Beast, which is a Beach Body product. No, I'm not a coach, so I'm not trying to sell you one. It's a good program. It's initial audience was guys, but a ton of women do it. I'm part of a FB group that has 16,000 women who use that program and have had amazing results.

For nutrition, I would recommend, "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. It will also give you some programs, but it explains the entire "macros" piece of this. It is important to feed your body properly for muscle growth-- .8-1.5 grams/protein per pound of body weight. Sufficient carbs and good fats. Most people have a very hard time meeting the protein goal without protein powders/shakes.

Love this post.
    I got a lot from it
    :smile:
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    I don't know what you mean by lean muscle but you need to be eating in a surplus and following a progressive strength training programme.

so eat more calories? And yeah I'm not going to be juicing anything :neutral:

Celltech thread. In.
  • lindalee0315
    The bodybuilding models you like are in the "figure" category. It typically goes "bikini" which is more a "toned" look with a little definition, figure which is a lower body fat percentage and more muscle definition, physique which is the first one you don't like as it is very muscular, then "bodybuilding (which most divisions are dropping as women don't like it--and physique is becoming very muscular), and some have a "fitness" category which is somewhere between "bikini" and "figure." To get a "figure" look, you will need to eat much more than you probably think you do! Depending on your body composition now, you won't be doing a ton (if any) dedicated cardio. That's the look I'm building now. Much compound lifting, little cardio at all (very different from when I started exercising years ago), and joy of joys...a lot more eating. I am 5'11", weigh 140-145 and eat between 1640-1750 calories daily, 150p/125/carbs/60 fat to 125p/175c/60f.