I want to build muscle

Replies

• lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Jessie Hilgenberg I think is a physique competitor. She's got a program on bodybuilding.com. You would probably also like Erin Stern, who has a great program there which I've used in the past. Similar look, a little less muscular.
  • sexymom04
    sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
    I'm 5'4" and i weigh 132, right now I eat about 1200 calories a day
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    sexymom04 wrote: »

This was the trap I was in for years. Lost all my baby weight doing it, and it was successful, so it's hard to change that mindset. However, over time, you just wear yourself down. After a few years (and I've also been relatively thin and very active), I started gaining weight. So, I exercised more, ate less. I am not exaggerating when I say I did between 60-90 minutes of cardio 7 days a week. I ran half-marathons, did century bike rides (100 miles), took three spin classes a week, and did a 2 hour cycling training every Sunday during the winter. I got fatter. Finally, I met with a local trainer as I was tired, sore, not sleeping, and continuing to gain weight--not a lot, but enough. She told me to knock off the cardio, eat more, lift weights 5 days a week, and give my body sufficient rest. I didn't believe her as I was scared to eat so much and exercise so "little." After beating my head against a wall for a few more months, I did it her way. Within a few months, I dropped a bunch of fat, currently around 21% fat, and I EAT, and exercise about 5-6 hours per week. Her mantra is "stimulate, don't annihilate your muscles." It was very difficult to trust the process, but I'm so glad I did. I'm gearing up for my first competition in October, so I will have to drop more bf, but even though I weigh more than I used to weigh, I actually wear the same clothes I did in law school--not the same size, but the same clothes (and that was 11 years ago). It's hard to mentally wrap your mind around it. There is an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) calculator that will give you a starting point regarding macros and calories. You plug your age, weight, height, activity level into it along with your goals. Start there, buy a decent food scale, and you'll be surprised at how soon you'll see progress. I have a food scale at work and one at home. It doesn't take long to get into the habit of weighing food. I prep my breakfasts and lunches, generally have a Combat Crunch bar as a snack, and figure out dinner which is usually lean meat or fish, veggies, and depending on what carbs I have left, some sort of treat.

• sexymom04
    Jessie Hilgenberg I think is a physique competitor. She's got a program on bodybuilding.com. You would probably also like Erin Stern, who has a great program there which I've used in the past. Similar look, a little less muscular.

I'll look them up :) thank you so much
  • sexymom04

This was the trap I was in for years. Lost all my baby weight doing it, and it was successful, so it's hard to change that mindset. However, over time, you just wear yourself down. After a few years (and I've also been relatively thin and very active), I started gaining weight. So, I exercised more, ate less. I am not exaggerating when I say I did between 60-90 minutes of cardio 7 days a week. I ran half-marathons, did century bike rides (100 miles), took three spin classes a week, and did a 2 hour cycling training every Sunday during the winter. I got fatter. Finally, I met with a local trainer as I was tired, sore, not sleeping, and continuing to gain weight--not a lot, but enough. She told me to knock off the cardio, eat more, lift weights 5 days a week, and give my body sufficient rest. I didn't believe her as I was scared to eat so much and exercise so "little." After beating my head against a wall for a few more months, I did it her way. Within a few months, I dropped a bunch of fat, currently around 21% fat, and I EAT, and exercise about 5-6 hours per week. Her mantra is "stimulate, don't annihilate your muscles." It was very difficult to trust the process, but I'm so glad I did. I'm gearing up for my first competition in October, so I will have to drop more bf, but even though I weigh more than I used to weigh, I actually wear the same clothes I did in law school--not the same size, but the same clothes (and that was 11 years ago). It's hard to mentally wrap your mind around it. There is an IIFYM (if it fits your macros) calculator that will give you a starting point regarding macros and calories. You plug your age, weight, height, activity level into it along with your goals. Start there, buy a decent food scale, and you'll be surprised at how soon you'll see progress. I have a food scale at work and one at home. It doesn't take long to get into the habit of weighing food. I prep my breakfasts and lunches, generally have a Combat Crunch bar as a snack, and figure out dinner which is usually lean meat or fish, veggies, and depending on what carbs I have left, some sort of treat.

wow, thank you so much. So much info lol
  • sexymom04

so are free weights better than a home gym with cables?
  • sexymom04
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    Moderate caloric surplus, heavy compound barbell training, progressive overload and above all CONSISTENCY.

I second the Starting Strength or Stronglifts suggestion.

This!!

are these online or books?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    edited April 2016
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    I'd really suggest skipping the home gym, for now, and going to a gym that has everything you need if you want to get serious about building muscle. Especially if you're just getting into it. Make sure you'll stick with it prior to spending the major money on outfitting a home gym.

well I already have a treadmill, an elliptical, a stationary bike and a rowing machine, just looking for a home gym now.

Craigslist look for a power rack, bench, and an Olympic barbell set. Then either go to Stronglifts site or purchase Starting Strength. Watch lots of videos on form and start a good progressive lifting program while eating at a small surplus.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    This works out well for me:
    http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23773346&clickid=family_cs&recid=family_PageElement_family_rr_1_1026
    You can buy the bench separately.
    I use a women's Olympic 35# bar for lifts and I use the 45# bar for Landmines. The Landmine sleeve is about $30 on Amazon.
    And you may be able to find a good deal on an Olympic weight set at Sports Authority.

That is a good foundation. You can add bands and TRX and...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

so are free weights better than a home gym with cables?

IMO yes they are, you get a better range of motion and you are using more muscles keeping your body in the proper form lifting(and to balance yourself) the weights and lowering them(unless you are on your back lifting).I had a cable home gym and didnt see much difference. I gave it away and bought a bench,barbells and dumbbells and have seen a difference in how my body looks. Im not gaining muscle at the moment because Im still in a deficit but worked out on the cable machine for months and didnt see a change also,with the barbell and plates I noticed a change in my body and I noticed that my muscles seem to work harder than they did with the cable machines.
  • sexymom04
    [/quote]

IMO yes they are, you get a better range of motion and you are using more muscles keeping your body in the proper form lifting(and to balance yourself) the weights and lowering them(unless you are on your back lifting).I had a cable home gym and didnt see much difference. I gave it away and bought a bench,barbells and dumbbells and have seen a difference in how my body looks. Im not gaining muscle at the moment because Im still in a deficit but worked out on the cable machine for months and didnt see a change also,with the barbell and plates I noticed a change in my body and I noticed that my muscles seem to work harder than they did with the cable machines. [/quote]

Thank you so much, I just found a bunch of free weights my stepson left when he moved out, just no bars or bench. So I'll be on the hunt for those.
  • javiybrenda956
    javiybrenda956 Posts: 18 Member
    I take you just wanna be toned?
  • sexymom04

no I want more than toned, but not bulky
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

you wont get bulky,you are female. we dont make enough testosterone. so bulky isnt going to happen unless you take steroids or other products that would boost testosterone. you have to eat in a surplus to even gain any decent amount of muscle.to get what those women in the pics above,you will have to eat in a surplus,and lift heavy weights and I dont mean 10-15lbs(maybe to start off with). and it will take awhile to build and develop a body like those women. also when you gain muscle you will gain some fat which is why a lot of those women in the pics do whats called bulk and cuts,they gain the muscle and then they go on a cut to get bodyfat % down. it takes a lot of dedication to look like that. for some it could take years to get a body like that.also genetics dictate how much muscle you gain and at what rate.Ive been lifting for almost 4 years and still dont look like those pics. my bodyfat is still in the higher range. I do have some muscle definition but then again Im lifting in a deficit so I wont be gaining any muscle. but it has changed how my body looks and Im in smaller sizes at a larger weight than I was at a lower weight.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited April 2016
    Stronglifts and Starting Strength are great but what is often missed in these discussions is that they are not optimal hypertrophy programs. They are strength programs. Personally I build muscle easily for a woman without "juicing" so I accumulated my muscle just on strength programs like Wendler 5/3/1 and Texas Method while eating enough, getting 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass, and sometimes supplementing with creatine. However, many would need a specific hypertrophy program. Nutrition-wise, I like Eat to Perform or Renaissance Peroidization. Many women think they can't build muscle but often years of dieting have made them fearful to dial their diet in consistent with muscle-building goals. Often this means a period of getting stronger and more muscular while staying off the dang scale and then another cycle to lean out after a bulk. Don't get scared during the process. It's so different than all the dieting we have been trained to do as women that you have to suspend your disbelief and commit to the process. P.S. Looking like your photos is not just about building muscle. It is about such strict nutrition that it will rule your life. Also, they don't look like that year-round. If they did, they wouldn't have menstruation. That is tanned up, meet prepped, water and carb cut right there. I have to cut for my sport and it's not for the faint of heart and it's not how you live day to day unless you are a model or Crossfit Games athlete who works out six hours per day and has a personal nutrition coach.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

The more than toned but not bulky, does it mean visible muscle, like your photos? If yes, and starting at this age (not implying you are old, I am also in my 40s, just without 20 years of lifting behind you), this is something that will take time, effort, and knowing what to do.
    Regarding exercise, if you have absolutely no experience with strength training, start with a gym. Look for a place where there are free weights and trainers available to help, not a big generic gym where it is mostly machines and/or where you are basically on your own. It is different to start completely on your own and to put together a program after knowing the basics.
    Regarding actually achieving the look you are going for, it will mean cycles of cutting calories a lot, cycles of eating at surplus, intensive training (for example, a couple of hours weekly exercise will not do it) and patience. I doubt that anyone really looks like you want to look without actually making this their main occupation (like being a professional trainer, model etc). This is far from being fit or being strong. You want a combination of muscle and no body fat. It will take years of dedication to get this exact look. It is no easier (actually probably harder) than the average teenager wanting to look like a VS model.
    To give you an example, there are a few ladies on here who definitely look strong and can lift heavy and I am pretty sure they are investing lots of energy to it. Still, they do not look like what you are aiming for.
    So, learn what to do, get a trainer, be prepared to invest a lot to this project, regarding time and energy, be patient, and be prepared for some setbacks.
  • sexymom04
  • sexymom04
    Found these that my stepson left behind and this week my weight bench is coming in. My husband's friend has one in excellent shape, it's the Weider 256 with the leg developer and butterfly arms. I can't wait.
  • slprout
    slprout Posts: 66 Member
    Body Beast dvds work (uses dumbbells and barbells), and there is a FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/443845675754497/
  • sexymom04
    slprout wrote: »
    Body Beast dvds work (uses dumbbells and barbells), and there is a FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/443845675754497/

That is beachbody right?