Gym Membership worth it?

Options
124»

Replies

• hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm more consistent if I go to the gym, and it gets me out of the house where there are a ton of other distractions.

Also, my health insurance has a partnership with Rally that reimburses me for going to the gym. If I go 12 times a month, they deposit $20 in my account. My gym (PF) costs $10, so I'm actually getting paid to go to the gym. Maybe you could find out about a similar program if cost is an issue?
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I currently have 2 memberships, 1 for taking Zumba Classes and 1 where I get personal training. I also take yoga through the city's parks & rec program. I would say it's definitely worth it. Left up to my own devices I would not work out at home, by leaving the house to do it I can't get distracted by anything else. I have had to give up some stuff and cut back on certain things to afford it, but it's worth it to me.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If I can't get outside to walk I'll maybe go and hit the treadmill (so boring to me), otherwise I have hand weights, a balance ball, exercise bands, etc at home.
    If it has things you want to use, and believe it will encourage you to both work out and better perform, go for it. If it doesn't, save yourself the money (and possibly the drive time) and work out from home!
    Note: I will say I miss Zumba classes, and if I could find one around me at a time I could go to, I'd go for that.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,376 Member
    Options
    I tried the home gym (bowflex plus treadmill)...using them was sporadic at best, maybe 1-2 times per month.

Ever since I got a gym membership, my monthly average workouts has gone up to 10-12, with surges as high as 20.

There's something about paying money for a service which encourages you to make use of said service.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like working out at home. I like being around other people; it motivates me. Well, except for the meatheads who never launder their foul gym clothes. Plus, a gym has more equipment and access to personal trainers if you want one, and classes as others have said.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do NOT need a gym membership but find it a luxury that's totally within my means.
    Also, the wife and I can go to the gym to exercise and get away from each other. If I hang around the house too long, she finds things for me to do! :)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    For me, no. I belong to 2 gyms. Each one as several other locations that I can rotate between. On my way home from work I'll go to the one that is 5 minutes from my job and on the same road that I pass by anyway going home. When I'm off I go to the other gym that is 15 minutes from my house. Each gym has everything I need to get a good workout in and the social aspect is nice as well.
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    To me yeah $35.00/month. BUT...
    If you go. And you'll go if its conveniently located.
    I happen to exercise outdoors as well, but if the weather is bad or too late in the day then I can just go to gym. It's a good back up plan for those cases. But I also like the amenities.
    I see it as an annual expense $35x12 = $420. For $420 I couldn't buy a treadmill, elliptical, weights, etc.
    Plus when you go you may find out that even if you could have the money and space to make a great home gym, while at the gym you have to stick around and finish the workout. At home its much easier to quit.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have a family membership to the YMCA. It's great, pricey, but great. I have 3 kids so the childcare alone makes it worth it. I go at least 3x per week sometimes more. If it's nice out I can drop the kids off at child care and run outside. The kids love the pool and splash pad and they take swim lessons at a discounted price. Once a month they offer parents night out - free childcare for 3 hours!

I'm venturing into trying out some group classes, but I'm a creature of habit and running is my thing. Plus, I hate feeling awkward, but I need to get over it. Everyone is a beginner at one point.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Worth it for my family.

I live in a small apartment and there isn't room for a home gym set up. I have a family membership to the local YMCA. I have 2 kids, so the included child care is helpful. My husband loves the group classes and I love that I have access to free weights.