Constipation struggles

Options
Hi, it seems that this problem is persistent and won't go away. I eat plenty of vegetables during the day, not to mention my morning smoothie starts with mostly leafy greens. So why am not having constipation issues? Haven't had a problem before, and I'm eating pretty much similar, just less and even more veggies than before. So what's happening? I don't want to take any supplements for stool, any one is dealing with this? How? Open to suggestions. Thanks!

Replies

• Gouldy_locks
    Gouldy_locks Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Black coffee gets things moving for me!!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like to start my day with 16 oz of very hot water, as hot as I can stand it. It hydrates after the overnight and somehow just gets things moving. I have used this trick for years to combat constipation related to hypothyroidism.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There are 2 types of fiber; soluble and insoluble. http://www.webmd.com/diet/insoluble-soluble-fiber

Are you getting enough water? Hydration helps things.

Are you eating a low fat diet? A very low fat diet will stop things up for me.

Activity - make sure you get some daily movement. Riding in a car on long trips is terrible for me.
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Black coffee and cigarettes/ chewing tobacco- though I've heard tobacco is bad for you.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medications that could cause constipation? Fiber bars and fiber one cereal helped me a lot when I was pregnant and had that issue. I also took Colace but you said you didn't want to take stool softeners. Also, are you drinking enough water?
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water during the day, tea and sometimes milk at night. Activity vise, I'm on my feet all day long, not really cardio, but moving around. Lower fat now, maybe. Comparatively.
  • icemom011
    Options
    Also, i start my day with espresso, not black though, some half and half. I can try the hot water trick, thanks for the suggestion. I eat so much veggies, i can't believe that's not enough.
  • icemom011
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »
    Black coffee and cigarettes/ chewing tobacco- though I've heard tobacco is bad for you.

I don't smoke or chew. And it's true, it's bad for you. So pass on rhat, but thank you.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Try adding probiotics as a supplement, or in foods such as yogurt with live cultures.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Find your balance of fats, fibre, and fluids to get things moving. I can't recommend one thing - except for MoM and that's in an extreme case - that will fix your problem.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I know you said no supplements, but magnesium helps me. Also helps me sleep at night.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Hi, it seems that this problem is persistent and won't go away. I eat plenty of vegetables during the day, not to mention my morning smoothie starts with mostly leafy greens. So why am not having constipation issues? Haven't had a problem before, and I'm eating pretty much similar, just less and even more veggies than before. So what's happening? I don't want to take any supplements for stool, any one is dealing with this? How? Open to suggestions. Thanks!

Story of my life. Coffee usually helps, but my diet is so high in protein that even then it can be 4-6 days. Struggle!
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    You probably need a little more fat in your diet. Every engine needs a little oil in the pan.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Increase fats and oils
  • icemom011
    Options
    I'm not completely fat free, we cook on coconut or olive oil, plus peanut butter or almonds are my daily addition. I have been eating less yogurt and less dairy altogether, so maybe include that a bit more?
  • natalie3505
    natalie3505 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad someone else asked this question! I've cut down on my coffee because I like milk in it and would rather have the calories for food and have had a problem with this as well. I guess it is the lower fat intake for me too.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water (or other fluids) Constipation can be related to not enough hydration.
  • icemom011
    Options
    junodog1 wrote: »
    Water, water, water (or other fluids) Constipation can be related to not enough hydration.

I drink 6 bottles of water at least during the day, plus tea and more water in the evening when i get home. I'm really hydrating well.
  • icemom011
    Options
    I think it has to do with lesser volume, personally. Maybe our intestines need time to adjust.