Strangest things seen while out on a run...

Options
  • A ferret, running wild along the city waterfront
  • A fox that paced me while I ran
  • A toilet, carefully placed on the sidewalk just when I really needed one! (no, I didn't!)

How about you?

Replies

• Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Not strange, per se, since I was in a greenbelt but I startled a skunk and narrowly missed being sprayed!
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Not strange, per se, since I was in a greenbelt but I startled a skunk and narrowly missed being sprayed!

That happens all the time here - I'm in a city and it's skunktown all the way!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    A opossom trying to get away - really ugly creatures!
    A girl running in socks - shouldn't be that strange since my husband runs barefoot.
  • GoJohnGo71
    GoJohnGo71 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Likely the naked guy being chased by a guy with a bat, being chased by a partially dressed woman... no I didn't ask.

Are you in Winnipeg too?
  • fileshiny
    Options
    Likely the naked guy being chased by a guy with a bat, being chased by a partially dressed woman... no I didn't ask.

That'd do it! Throw in a ferret and you've really got a party!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    A opossom trying to get away - really ugly creatures!
    A girl running in socks - shouldn't be that strange since my husband runs barefoot.

But opossums are so cute!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Not strange, but I feel like very overweight people tend to drive aggressively close to me when I run. Everyone else gives me a wide cushion as they pass, but when a car is inches from me it's always someone who is quite a bit larger. Maybe it's just me.
  • fileshiny
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Not strange, but I feel like very overweight people tend to drive aggressively close to me when I run. Everyone else gives me a wide cushion as they pass, but when a car is inches from me it's always someone who is quite a bit larger. Maybe it's just me.

Maybe they just seem bigger when they're looming over you!
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Luckily I run in safe/boring places so...

-Almost stepped on a rattlesnake that crossed the path right before I got to it
    -Tarantula (I thought from a distance it was dog pop so was already ready not to step on it, but was pretty freaked out once I got closer)
    -Coyote the size of a german shepherd
    -Occasional people running in jeans (?)
  • fileshiny
    Options
    Luckily I run in safe/boring places so...

-Almost stepped on a rattlesnake that crossed the path right before I got to it
    -Tarantula (I thought from a distance it was dog pop so was already ready not to step on it, but was pretty freaked out once I got closer)
    -Coyote the size of a german shepherd
    -Occasional people running in jeans (?)

Oh yes, I saw a coyote too! Actually, a coywolf (Eastern coyote), which is what we have around here. Way bigger than a coyote. I see lots of rattlesnakes while hiking but I think you win for the tarantula!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Fox and deer (I'm in a city).
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    What if you're the type who sees NOTHING while you run because you're just focused or not paying attention or something?

I ran a half marathon a while back and the route went right past the Alamo. I totally didn't see it. I remember at the end being like, "wait, where was the Alamo?" Apparently, it was around mile 3.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't run but I do walk often in my neighborhood. I have seen a family of armadillo, a squirrel following me, a cat and an iguana being walked on a leash and a heavyset old lady with breasts down to her knees wearing a man's tank top (oh my eyes) putting up the flags on everyone's mailboxes.
  • fileshiny
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    What if you're the type who sees NOTHING while you run because you're just focused or not paying attention or something?

I ran a half marathon a while back and the route went right past the Alamo. I totally didn't see it. I remember at the end being like, "wait, where was the Alamo?" Apparently, it was around mile 3.

So hard to remember the Alamo...

I ran a race once where there were firefighters there to cheer us on - didn't notice a single one of them.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

So hard to remember the Alamo...

I ran a race once where there were firefighters there to cheer us on - didn't notice a single one of them.

OMG, I can't believe I didn't think of that. It was too easy...

• fileshiny
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I don't run but I do walk often in my neighborhood. I have seen a family of armadillo, a squirrel following me, a cat and an iguana being walked on a leash and a heavyset old lady with breasts down to her knees wearing a man's tank top (oh my eyes) putting up the flags on everyone's mailboxes.

If I saw a family of armadillos or an iguana while running, I would run everyday!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    One time on a trail run, there was a squirrel in the middle of the trail and I got about a foot away from him and I stopped because he didn't move. We looked at each other for about 10 seconds then he started charging for me.
    I screamed like a little girl and ran about 20 feet, looked behind me and he was still chasing me. At this point another runner was coming from the other way in the trail stopped and started laughing. I had to jump off the path into the wooded area and he stopped chasing me.
    I then confirmed with the other runner that what had just happened, did indeed happen.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. The list is long. In no particular order...

- a Model T (or similar) buried up to it's axles, miles from any road
    - a half-eaten sheep
    - a buck deer that wanted to face me down rather than run
    - a lightning strike close enough where the hair tingle, flash, and boom were all pretty much simultaneous

Yeah, I do a lot of my running way, way off-trail...
  • fileshiny
    Options
    One time on a trail run, there was a squirrel in the middle of the trail and I got about a foot away from him and I stopped because he didn't move. We looked at each other for about 10 seconds then he started charging for me.
    I screamed like a little girl and ran about 20 feet, looked behind me and he was still chasing me. At this point another runner was coming from the other way in the trail stopped and started laughing. I had to jump off the path into the wooded area and he stopped chasing me.
    I then confirmed with the other runner that what had just happened, did indeed happen.

Attack squirrels are become more common - next time, carry nuts to pay the toll and ask permission before crossing him...