Weight Loss Plateau within first two months?

Options
Hi everyone, I am female, starting weight was 281, current weight 273.6, age 23, lightly active and exercise about 3-5 days a week for the last month now. The first two-three weeks of dieting and exercise I lost about 7 lbs, which was great! And since the beginning of March, I have NOT been able to move past 274 lbs. It has stayed there and will not budge no matter what I do. I track my calories very well, I eat a little more on weekends but never go past 2,500 calories, during weekdays I eat about 1600 calories and exercise about 200 calories or so off. At first I was only dieting and lost the 7 lbs, but then it stopped so about two weeks ago I added exercise to hopefully lose more weight, but I still have not seen any change what so ever! I do track my calories honestly, I have been on this road many times of losing weight and tracking calories and exercising and have never had this problem of plateauing so early into my weight loss! I have lost about 30 lbs in two and a half months with the same method I'm currently doing of eating 1600 and exercising 200-300 a calories a day, but this time the scale won't budge! I have a bad habit of gaining/losing weight over the last three years or so, but I've never had a stall of weight loss like this that I can recall....Its been about a month already...Any tips, info, anything?! Thanks for any help.

Replies

• hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Edit, I've been dieting since mid February, and dieting+exercise since mid March.**** I lost the first 7 lbs in mid february-early march.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    At 23 and 270 you shouldn't be plateauing if you're doing all of what you said accurately. Weigh your food and wear a HRM if you're counting on exercise calories.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    At 23 and 270 you shouldn't be plateauing if you're doing all of what you said accurately. Weigh your food and wear a HRM if you're counting on exercise calories.

I do weigh my food at home and log anything/everything I eat, and I have a Fitbit Alta, it doesn't have an HRM, but it gives me an estimate of my activity/calories burned. I honestly feel like this should not be happening either. I've lost weight many times before and have never not lost weight like this.....
  • hiyomi
    Options
    I have a food scale at home, and I also use measuring cups, etc to measure what I eat at home. :)
  • LazSommer
    Options
    hiyomi wrote: »

I do weigh my food at home and log anything/everything I eat, and I have a Fitbit Alta, it doesn't have an HRM, but it gives me an estimate of my activity/calories burned. I honestly feel like this should not be happening either. I've lost weight many times before and have never not lost weight like this.....

Are you eating your exercise calories back?
  • hiyomi
    Options

Occasionally if I am really hungry, but no not really.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Sometimes your body relaxes a bit and then you'll see a drop. Happens to my wife frequently. It's important to ignore the scale and keep at it, it will pass. 1600 calories is a decent deficit for your weight, if you stick to it you will see results again.
  • SpiderGwens
    SpiderGwens Posts: 87 Member
    Options

THIS.

I had a plateau after only 4 weeks on MFP, then I bought a food scale. I've been losing regularly ever since. The one I bought was only $13 on amazon.

I religiously wear a HRM when I exercise (even before I was serious about tracking/losing weight). If you want to eat back your exercise cals, forget using machine calories or MFP estimates. There are some pricey fitness watches out there, but I decided to forgo the fancy technology for a simple watch with a strap for $40. It hasn't failed me yet. Plus, it helps me make sure that I'm putting in the appropriate level of effort.

Also: be patient. I'm 11 weeks in and I've only started seeing visible results in the last couple of weeks (e.g. I can fit into pants that were too tight when I started). I know it's super hard to be patient when you feel like you've been working your butt off, but I promise you that if you stay consistent, you will eventually see results!

• hiyomi
    Options

Sometimes your body relaxes a bit and then you'll see a drop. Happens to my wife frequently. It's important to ignore the scale and keep at it, it will pass. 1600 calories is a decent deficit for your weight, if you stick to it you will see results again.

Yea, my boyfriend told me the same thing that I needed to step away from the scale for at least two weeks and just keep doing what I am doing. I lasted from Sunday until today on not getting on the scale, and when I did, behold! 274 lbs again! ~_~ Hopefully it passes soon..
  • hiyomi
    Options

THIS.

I had a plateau after only 4 weeks on MFP, then I bought a food scale. I've been losing regularly ever since. The one I bought was only $13 on amazon.

I religiously wear a HRM when I exercise (even before I was serious about tracking/losing weight). If you want to eat back your exercise cals, forget using machine calories or MFP estimates. There are some pricey fitness watches out there, but I decided to forgo the fancy technology for a simple watch with a strap for $40. It hasn't failed me yet. Plus, it helps me make sure that I'm putting in the appropriate level of effort.

Also: be patient. I'm 11 weeks in and I've only started seeing visible results in the last couple of weeks (e.g. I can fit into pants that were too tight when I started). I know it's super hard to be patient when you feel like you've been working your butt off, but I promise you that if you stay consistent, you will eventually see results!

Yea, I have a food scale and a Fitbit Alta, and it helps a lot but just not seeing results. It really does suck but I'm going to keep trying and pray I see results soon. >.<
  • dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You could be retaining water depending where you are in your cycle.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Behold, the chart! It's only been a few weeks, and you've added in new exercise besides. Gotta give it time!

g9er5dqh0jr7.jpg
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    you dont weigh all your food and eat more than you think
    I looked at your diary and you should be more accurate

1 sandwich? one cup half a cup etc etc

Really start weighing your food

I started at 272 ( 260 on here)
    And the weight drops off at 1600 with pounds a week on a sedentary live style. No excersize.

Hate to tell you, but you should weigh in grams EVERYTHING.
    So tighten up your logging

You can do it, good luck! :)

95069916.png
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I know I haven't been at this as long as a lot of ppl, but I don't have any days over maintenance calories and that's not been every week. I eat what I want within my calories and don't feel the need to splurge. You can undo some pretty serious deficit calories by one high calorie day per week:/ For me, it's just not worth it.
  • sarahpedrys
    sarahpedrys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In the beginning you lose more weight at a faster rate because it is water weight that you are losing. After that you get into a normal weight loss pattern.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    In the beginning you lose more weight at a faster rate because it is water weight that you are losing. After that you get into a normal weight loss pattern.

Still 1600 calories intake for somebody who is over 270 lbs...the weight should drop off. or the numbers ( read logging) are wrong/off or there is a medical conditions which can make you lose slower...but still lose weight.

• hiyomi
    edited April 2016
    Options

And the weight drops off at 1600 with pounds a week on a sedentary live style. No excersize.

95069916.png

I've lost over a 100 lbs while on MFP before, (Not all at once, but up to 40 lbs at once yes, I gained it back over time, but that's a different story.) I know how to weigh food, and I log everything I eat. If I logged one sandwich, I logged the bread by slice, the ham by ounces, and and the cheese by whats on the package. I weigh my chips/count them, as well as anything else. So I don't feel like its an issue logging how much food I eat. I don't know how much more accurate I could be as I scan anything that's packaged, and anything that is not packaged, I weigh it with a scale at home and/or look at website nutrition info. ^^
  • hiyomi
    Options
    I know I haven't been at this as long as a lot of ppl, but I don't have any days over maintenance calories and that's not been every week. I eat what I want within my calories and don't feel the need to splurge. You can undo some pretty serious deficit calories by one high calorie day per week:/ For me, it's just not worth it.

I understand that, but if I do go over my calories, what I eat is usually barely enough to maintain my current weight. I've splurged so much more in the past, (I'm actually doing better now about not doing that :) ) and have still never experienced a weight loss stall like this. :/
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options

95069916.png

I've lost over a 100 lbs while on MFP before, (Not all at once, but up to 40 lbs at once yes, I gained it back over time, but that's a different story.) I know how to weigh food, and I log everything I eat. If I logged one sandwich, I logged the bread by slice, the ham by ounces, and and the cheese by whats on the package. I weigh my chips/count them, as well as anything else. So I don't feel like its an issue logging how much food I eat. I don't know how much more accurate I could be as I scan anything that's packaged, and anything that is not packaged, I weigh it with a scale at home and/or look at website nutrition info. ^^

by weighing everything and not going by package sizes,slices or using cups and spoons.

Here an example of how unaccurate cups are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

But up to you.... not losing is 99% a matter or eating at maintaining or surplus level.

Good luck OP
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Be careful with your weekend eating. That possible extra 1800 cals over your Sat-Sunday is an entire extra day of calories each week. Which can be double killer if you're only active an average of 4 days a week.

Since you tend to eat a little more on the weekends, it will help to keep track of your weekly calorie allowance/intake as well. So 1600x7= 11,200cal/week to maintain your preferred defecit. I will check my intake vs this weekly number when I have special things coming up like birthday parties or date nights. (Example: Save just 50cals each day Mon-Fri and you have 250cals extra for Saturday and it's still within your defecit.)