HCLF vegan tips

Options
2»

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have been vegan for many years and I'm genuinely curious as to why you've decided to go HCLF. I really believe to each their own and people have got to eat what works well for them, but have you tried eating this way for an extended period of time?

For many people, eating entirely plant based is a big transition on its own and it can be a challenge to incorporate adequate protein. I feel crummy when I don't eat enough fat and protein keeps me fuller longer.

Trust me when I say that you'll have NO problems finding lots of carbs to eat on a plant based diet. Maybe try eating only vegan for a while and figure out how it works best for you before deciding on something that (to me) seems a bit arbitrary like HCLF? I really think that, especially with self-imposed dietary restrictions, it can be a process to figuring out what exactly that looks like for you and how it works.
  • fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 30 years and this diet goes against absolutely everything I've ever heard about trying to maintain a healthy diet. I'm on an extreme diet myself (keto - which for a vegetarian is truly extreme!) so I'm not judging. I'm genuinely curious as to why this is considered to be a healthy way of eating; is there any science to back this up?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Most people need 30% fat.
  • Hipp706
    Hipp706 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think if you eat relatively cleanly as a vegan then you will be high carb low fat without trying too hard. I have been reading 'Shred It' by Robert Cheeke (def worth a read) and he cuts fat and builds/maintains muscle using the 70,15,15 ratio. It's likely more achievable in day to day life. Ol you definitely do feel better eating clean and loads of fruits/veggies and reducing processed foods. I think it depends what you want to achieve. You can be slim and only eat processed foods - a calorie is a calorie - however, if you want to eat for health then eating a clean vegan diet will give you all the energy and nutrients you need - and you will lose weight :-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    yeseniaw wrote: »
    In only 9 weeks of eating about %80 Vegan and Working out really hard, I went from 32% body fat to 24%, I lost 17 lbs of fat and gain 8 lbs of muscle and much more!
    ‪#‎eatingmatters
    x1xn17lg8xvd.jpg
    d0acobz6mii2.jpg

How are you measuring body fat? Women have limitations of muscle growth due to testosterone levels and even in a surplus, a progressive overload lifting routine and adequate protein, are limited to 1/4 of a lb per week.

Op, I would probably recommend joining one of the vegan groups: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores

But you will probably want to eat foods such as: nuts, quinoa/oats/whole grains, veggies, fruits, temp eh, seitan, etc..
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »
    I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 30 years and this diet goes against absolutely everything I've ever heard about trying to maintain a healthy diet. I'm on an extreme diet myself (keto - which for a vegetarian is truly extreme!) so I'm not judging. I'm genuinely curious as to why this is considered to be a healthy way of eating; is there any science to back this up?

There is, it's certainly debatable and I'm not convinced by it (although I'm no more convinced by anti carb arguments). It's the general Fuhrman, McDougall, Ornish, Campbell, and Esselstyn stuff. Combining veganism with being anti oil and skeptical about protein.

This is interesting, however: http://rawfoodsos.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/