Low Carb Diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    OP, just log into MFP every day. Weigh your food. Log it. Rinse. Repeat. The weight will fall off as soon as you're in a calorie deficit. You don't have to deprive yourself of yummy carbs. Carbs is proof that God loves us <3
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!
    He did not give a specific reason for me to try low carb, just that I am borderline obese.
    I will set an appointment Monday and ask him if there are any reasons why and ask about the dietian/meal plans.
    Thank you guys so much. I would have never thought of this stuff.

Side note: I'm guessing calorie-intake is more important than low-carb?
    I am concerned about why he did choose a low-carb diet for me?

Low carb high fat is becoming the eating standard in some countries today hoping to reduce their health care costs.

dietdoctor.com/swedish-expert-committee-low-carb-diet-effective-weight-loss
  • Buildingit3157
    Buildingit3157 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!
    He did not give a specific reason for me to try low carb, just that I am borderline obese.
    I will set an appointment Monday and ask him if there are any reasons why and ask about the dietian/meal plans.

Low carb high fat is becoming the eating standard in some countries today hoping to reduce their health care costs.

dietdoctor.com/swedish-expert-committee-low-carb-diet-effective-weight-loss

Thanks for sharing Gale
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    South beach diet website are really good at sending you free meal ideas every single day, if you sign up (free)
  • subk3
    subk3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Calories drive your weight loss, but carbs drive your hunger. When you go low carb you stop having carb/sugar cravings. When you increase your protien and fat intake you are eating more satisfying foods. Think how easy it would be to eat fewer calories if you aren't hungry and you aren't having cravings! Dropping the carbs has made me feel liberated from food--I eat if I'm hungry and don't if I'm not. I eat for fuel.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!

Yes, calories is what drives weight up/down; you keep a stable weight when your calories in equals calories out.

Low carb is a "hot" diet now, and your doctor may think that it's more effective than just cutting calories all over (it isn't. It may help with satiety (unless if it doesn't), and is often recommended for pre-diabetes, PCOS, hypothyroidism etc. For the ordinary dieter, macro split and meal timing aren't very important.

I don't take issue with most of what you say here, but while low carb is getting more press now, but it is not new.
    Close to the modern versions have been around since the 1800's.
    It was fairly standard for many doctors prior to the dietary recommendations change in 1976 as part of the McGovern hearings. Correlation does not equal causation, but obesity seems to have risen very closely-tied with that hearings recommendations to reduce fat and increase grains/starch. Amd closely tied with the upsurge in processed foods.

It is a fact that most people fail when they diet. I think part of it is one diet will not work for everyone, and a diet based solely on calorie restriction may be ignoring other issues...like why the person is hungry enough to even eat over what their body theoretically needs. Restricting calories will work for most people while they do it...the trick is not staying with it.
    I track my calories but the bigger issue for me is where they come from. I am more successful when they do not come from starch/sugar sources but from fat with protein. And since I feel satisfied, I can stay with it (3 1/2 years now, over 100 lbs lost). Other people are successful with the exact opposite diet.
    Calorie restriction plays a part and shouldn't be ignored, but I still maintain the sources are a bigger issue and are different for different people.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!!

Yes, calories is what drives weight up/down; you keep a stable weight when your calories in equals calories out.

Low carb is a "hot" diet now, and your doctor may think that it's more effective than just cutting calories all over (it isn't. It may help with satiety (unless if it doesn't), and is often recommended for pre-diabetes, PCOS, hypothyroidism etc. For the ordinary dieter, macro split and meal timing aren't very important.

I don't take issue with most of what you say here, but while low carb is getting more press now, but it is not new.
    Close to the modern versions have been around since the 1800's.
    It was fairly standard for many doctors prior to the dietary recommendations change in 1976 as part of the McGovern hearings. Correlation does not equal causation, but obesity seems to have risen very closely-tied with that hearings recommendations to reduce fat and increase grains/starch. Amd closely tied with the upsurge in processed foods.

It is a fact that most people fail when they diet. I think part of it is one diet will not work for everyone, and a diet based solely on calorie restriction may be ignoring other issues...like why the person is hungry enough to even eat over what their body theoretically needs. Restricting calories will work for most people while they do it...the trick is not staying with it.
    I track my calories but the bigger issue for me is where they come from. I am more successful when they do not come from starch/sugar sources but from fat with protein. And since I feel satisfied, I can stay with it (3 1/2 years now, over 100 lbs lost). Other people are successful with the exact opposite diet.
    Calorie restriction plays a part and shouldn't be ignored, but I still maintain the sources are a bigger issue and are different for different people.

Yep, I have been a yo-yo dieter all my life, until I started reading up on low carb diets. A ketogenic diet was the only diet I ever managed to stick to for a significant amount of time, and that largely amounted to the fact that I stopped having cravings for junk food, and I was virtually never hungry. I counted calories until I realized that I didn't need to simply because I was always eating below my goal just naturally.

Simple calorie restriction may work for some people - those with high enough willpower to ignore cravings and hunger. But to anyone who finds themselves finding it hard to stick to a diet and routinely going over your goal calories, I would recommend giving low carb a try.
  • salyerssommer
    salyerssommer Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    UPDATE!

Doctor said he chose low-carb for me as a "starter" diet because it might help me eat less and help control cravings. (I noticed some of you mentioned this earlier.)
    I do have a problem with "impulse eating". I feel like I need to eat 24/7, even though I know I am not actually hungry, I think I am and will eat. I eat small things like fig bars, granola bars, peanut butter crackers, string cheese, etc. And when that doesn't satisfy I move up and eat larger portions, and then I eat dessert or eat more "snacks" and my doctor said most of the things I choose to snack on are high in carbs and that a low-carb diet will force me to choose different foods to eat and will hopefully help me to reduce my snacking.
    I really do have a bad snacking problem.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think low carbing could definitely help you then... for me all desire for food went straight out of the window for the most part! Give it a week... see what happens!
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OP, I, too, was a constant eater. Low carb/high fat has been a life-saver for me. Seriously. Additionally, I now know what it feels like to "forget to eat", to not crave certain foods, and to actually be satisfied...not just "full". I don't feel like I have to have food all.the.time. It is absolutely true that you can lose weight only counting calories; I did that, too. But I was more likely to "cheat". Breads, other grains, potatoes, and sweets are worked in to my diet on occasion, but I honestly do not miss them and can't imagine them ever having the place they once held. This way of eating is very sustainable for me. It is not a magic bullet; you have to work at it. But it's worth it. Best wishes.