HELP 1200 calories + exercising and I'm still gaining weight :(

Options
Hey there lovely people,
So the title says it all, I eat less, I exercise more and I'm gaining weight! What's wrong :( I've been logging everything for more than 3 weeks now. I'm trying to maintain my calorie intake at 1200 wich I'm usually feeling more than full. I walk and bike everywhere I go plus I have a job that requires a lot of fast movements (kitchen work). It still seems that I'm still not burning those 1200 calories a day... What is happening?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You burn more than 1200 calories just by living. How are you measuring your intake? How are you measuring your exercise calories and how much, if any, do you eat back?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    And how are you counting those calories?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Can you open your dairy?

Are you using a food scale to weigh your solid foods?
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You are eating more calories than you burn, pure & simple. Measure & weigh everything you eat carefully, be 100% accurate. Use the verified entries in MFP database or scan in items.
  • WrenTheCoffeeAddict
    WrenTheCoffeeAddict Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this for?
    How often are you weighing yourself? And what's your body fat and muscle %?
    I find that when I've 'roughly' maintained, my body fat % has gone down, and my muscle % has gone up.
    But I'd also like to mirror what others have asked as well - are you weighing your food?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You are eating more calories than you burn, pure & simple. Measure & weigh everything you eat carefully, be 100% accurate. Use the verified entries in MFP database or scan in items.

It really is as plain and simple as this.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options

No it's not! I have said this before, and I and others have proved it. Your body can go into 'starvation mode' if you are not eating enough. MFP states I should eat 1200 calories a day. I was already eating child-size portions of food. When I defected to another app for a while and also did other checks, these varied between 1400-1600 calories a day. While I doubt I could eat 1600 (unless gorging on Green & Blacks chocolate:-)). After losing the grand sum of 2lbs in 3 months, I am now losing more albeit slowly, and toning up since I have increased my calorie intake.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    cryptobrit wrote: »

No it's not! I have said this before, and I and others have proved it. Your body can go into 'starvation mode' if you are not eating enough. MFP states I should eat 1200 calories a day. I was already eating child-size portions of food. When I defected to another app for a while and also did other checks, these varied between 1400-1600 calories a day. While I doubt I could eat 1600 (unless gorging on Green & Blacks chocolate:-)). After losing the grand sum of 2lbs in 3 months, I am now losing more albeit slowly, and toning up since I have increased my calorie intake.

There is no starvation mode.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

That's wrong I sts for 3 weeks on 1300 calories all weighed & measured on a food scale and jug.
    Weightloss or not losing weight is not always as your eating too much.
    Not eating enough
    Hormonal
    Contraception
    Medication
    Fluid retention
    Are to name a few.

I know how to lose weight sometime you simply don't.
  • nicole_j
    nicole_j Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are not actually eating enough and your body is in starvation mode. When you do eat it stores it as fat. Also, are you strength training? You should be spending more time building muscle than doing cardio. Muscle mass will increase your metabolism. Friend request me and I can look at your food diary and help. The lowest calorie intake I went down to the week before my competition was 1400 calories and I usually eat closer to 2000 each day.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Repeating it doesn't make it true. Waiting until you're overweight to the point where you slam the MFP weight loss goal to 2 lbs a week and wondering why you get only 1200 calories that you're not sticking to accurately is generally why most people on this site don't lose.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    cripsky wrote: »
    Hey there lovely people,
    So the title says it all, I eat less, I exercise more and I'm gaining weight! What's wrong :( I've been logging everything for more than 3 weeks now. I'm trying to maintain my calorie intake at 1200 wich I'm usually feeling more than full. I walk and bike everywhere I go plus I have a job that requires a lot of fast movements (kitchen work). It still seems that I'm still not burning those 1200 calories a day... What is happening?

Read THIS.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open so that limits how we can help you.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

nicole_j wrote: »
    It sounds like you are not actually eating enough and your body is in starvation mode. When you do eat it stores it as fat. Also, are you strength training? You should be spending more time building muscle than doing cardio. Muscle mass will increase your metabolism. Friend request me and I can look at your food diary and help. The lowest calorie intake I went down to the week before my competition was 1400 calories and I usually eat closer to 2000 each day.

Starvation mode just isn't real. I'm glad that you have found a method of weight loss that works for you, but that doesn't mean eating more is the way to lose more. More likely eating more makes it easier for you to be consistent with your diet and avoid binges. And that is perfectly okay, even recommended by most posters on the site...eat as much as you can while still losing.

I've done doctor supervised VLCD. I ate 800 - 1000 calories a day and I lost weight. Now I'm eating 1200 - 1400 and I'm losing weight. I lost more quickly (especially at first...30 pounds in 30 days) on the lower intake (12 pounds the first 30 days).

If starvation mode were real seems like I should lose more quickly on the higher intake, yes?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Please stop with the starvation mode myths. If someone is already eating at maintenance, telling them to eat more will NOT help and just lead them to gain.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

no no no
    size102b wrote: »

That's wrong I sts for 3 weeks on 1300 calories all weighed & measured on a food scale and jug.
    Weightloss or not losing weight is not always as your eating too much.
    Not eating enough
    Hormonal
    Contraception
    Medication
    Fluid retention
    Are to name a few.

I know how to lose weight sometime you simply don't.

no no no
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! What's with this starvation mode thing being bandied about!?? I'm a case in point, many years ago I ate so little that I got down below 58kgs (127lbs), which is anorexic looking on my 5'8 frame, just horrible. I lived like this for over 2 years and kept losing the whole time. When I finally got out of that lifestyle, I started eating normally again and got up to a normal weight for me and that's where I stayed for many years. I didn't hold on to the food/fat I was eating, and neither do anorexics or starving African children who die everyday!

For those that believe in Starvation mode, please read this.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Ah, good old MFP. OP posts 1 post, doesn't come back, and the whole thread turns into a debate about the starvation myth... same old, same old.