Acai berry nutrition

Options
OyGeeBiv
OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
There's no doubt acai bowls are one of the tastiest things out there. Is any of the hype about acai berries true? Are they something special, or just like other berries, in terms of nutrition?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    There's no doubt acai bowls are one of the tastiest things out there. Is any of the hype about acai berries true? Are they something special, or just like other berries, in terms of nutrition?

Nothing special.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    They have 10x more antioxidants than blueberries, and all the other popular berries.

But if you're eating a variety of foods with antioxidants than you're not missing out.

If you have the money to splurge on the frozen packets of pulp then why not.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

acai bowls can contain an insaaaaaane amount of calories. Ones made with apple juice.. the type lf granola.. how much honey. some upwords of 1k calories. I love them and living in San Diego they are everywhere. I usually ask for the smallest one and for it to be blended with water..... woah that was off topic but yea they are an antopxidant punch but if u are eating a colorful diet then it doesnt matter too much.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    Label anything "healthy" and no matter the calories people will just eat tonnes of it... why?? Cause its healthy so the more the better right? ;) I this everyday with ladies at work and chia seeds.
    @crazyravr Chia seeds? Explain how the ladies at work are overdoing it. I might be.
    I just had 2 tbsp - open diary.
    So easy to make mistakes.... I don't even know anymore.
    How are they overdoing chia seeds? You can only eat so much of that stuff, right?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2009/12/12/monavie-versus-two-buck-chuck/

Here’s what a lot of people miss: ORAC is not the only way to assess antioxidant capacity.

A subsequent study using a more comprehensive assessment panel on 10 commonly consumed polyphenol-rich drinks yielded some interesting results [2]. In addition to ORAC, 3 other antioxidant tests were administered: trolox equivalent antioxidant capacity (TEAC), free radical scavenging capacity by 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH), and ferric reducing antioxidant power (FRAP). In addition to the 4 antioxidant capacity tests, they measured inhibition of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) oxidation, and total polyphenol content by gallic acid equivalents (GAEs). Each of the 6 tests was equally factored into determining overall antioxidant potency. Here’s how the beverages ranked:*

Pomegranate juice
    Red wine
    Concord grape juice
    Blueberry juice
    Blackberry juice
    Acai juice
    Cranberry juice
    Orange juice
    Iced tea (green, black, & white tea collectively)
    Apple juice

*Caution is advised against the tendency to judge foods based on a single parameter such as antioxidation. Many people will automatically perceive the above list as a good-to-bad continuum. Don’t fall into that trap; all foods have unique nutritional benefits aside from their antioxidant effects.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/33191493/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/exotic-juice-health-claims-are-pure-pulp-fiction/#.Vwe_VL4YE4c