best bacon substitute

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
i dont and haven't eaten any pig for about 6 months now.. we are getting a pet pig and to continue eating it is weird lol. After the first few months i was pretty over it and now i dont miss it (and i was a eat bacon with every meal person. My husband misses it with his sandwiches and breakfast, what is your favorite brand of non pig bacon?

Replies

• jimmyhsharkey
    jimmyhsharkey Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thats a hilarious and understandable reason for not eating pork. How are they as pets? I've more or less switched to turkey bacon, which is a lie because its not bacon. It takes forever to cook in comparison to actual bacon and it needs to be seasoned. There are also chicken "sausage" that come in a number of flavors that can be pretty good as well. I get them from a regional store here in South Florida but I know Whole Foods also makes them.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like the Applegate turkey bacon alright.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Morningstar Farms makes a really good vegetarian bacon. I prefer it over the original because it's less fatty. I used to hate the squishy feel bacon fat has.

G4BIj72.jpg

Like any "bacon" though, it is definitely high in sodium!
  • fishshark
    Options
    Thats a hilarious and understandable reason for not eating pork. How are they as pets? I've more or less switched to turkey bacon, which is a lie because its not bacon. It takes forever to cook in comparison to actual bacon and it needs to be seasoned. There are also chicken "sausage" that come in a number of flavors that can be pretty good as well. I get them from a regional store here in South Florida but I know Whole Foods also makes them.

they are actually smarter then dogs and just as loving and loyal! we eat loads of chicken sausage from breakfast to italian.. whole foods kills the chicken sausage game haha! ive had turkey bacon once and i was so angry hahaha! we will give it another go as i said i dont miss it now that its been a while but the husband for sure misses it.
  • fishshark
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I like the Applegate turkey bacon alright.

we used to eat applegate regular bacon will try
    Morningstar Farms makes a really good vegetarian bacon. I prefer it over the original because it's less fatty. I used to hate the squishy feel bacon fat has.

G4BIj72.jpg

Like any "bacon" though, it is definitely high in sodium!

so crazy how high sodium all "bacon is" little salt bombs of heaven haha. will for sure try.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This is pretty good. It's nothing like bacon but it's good.

I know someone out there is gonna close their laptop after seeing this.

TofurkyBaconLG.jpg
    tempeh-bacon.jpg
  • fishshark
    Options
    This is pretty good. It's nothing like bacon but it's good.

I know someone out there is gonna close their laptop after seeing this.

TofurkyBaconLG.jpg
    tempeh-bacon.jpg

this looks good! i think he honestly just misses the salty smokey flavor so this is a good option!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    We raised pigs when I was a kid, we were forbidden to name them :p I saw chicken bacon at the store yesterday and was really tempted to buy it, just to see what it tastes like. It looked like regular bacon, so that might be something to look for.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I really actually am a fan of Aldis fit n active turkey bacon as long as you cook it really well!
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just get bacon but also feed some to the pet pig.
    If he eats the bacon, it's all good!
    :)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    11910547_514100692087399_718461951_n.jpg

482081_orig.jpg
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for real bacon.
  • glnblnd
    glnblnd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for bacon and to suggest so is heresy!
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options

482081_orig.jpg

Omg yes for coconut bacon. Put it on a BLT and it is heaven. Seriously.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    We raised pigs when I was a kid, we were forbidden to name them :p I saw chicken bacon at the store yesterday and was really tempted to buy it, just to see what it tastes like. It looked like regular bacon, so that might be something to look for.

We had to name our cow Hamburger when I was a kid, so we wouldn't forget why he was really there.

I would just eat bacon, to be honest. The pig doesn't know what it is.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

482081_orig.jpg

I would try that. It looks interesting. Where do you get it?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Pigs will eat people, turnabout is fair play I say!! Seriously, I get your dilemma. Although we did have a guinea pig for quite some time and apparently its quite a common dish in some parts of South America......anyway....I find turkey bacon just doesnt cut it. I too have given up on bacon, but enjoy other cuts.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options

482081_orig.jpg

I would try that. It looks interesting. Where do you get it?

I'm in Canada and usually get it at a small, local grocer - but I'm 99% sure Whole Foods or something comparable would have it?

You could also try making your own if you're feeling particularly motivated: http://cookieandkate.com/2014/how-to-make-coconut-bacon/
  • xpanda70
    xpanda70 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Smoked tofu. Cut into thin strips and marinate in 1T soy sauce, 1T maple syrup, 1tspn hickory smoke, 1/2tspn smoked paprika overnight. Fry it up and it makes for a pretty good BLT. There is also a Facebook group called What Fat Vegans Eat where some posters have recently been experimenting with making 'vacon' out of rice paper. It looks pretty authentic, but I haven't tried it myself.