Options
2»

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    NONE of the above are bacon. NONE.
    As a kid raised on a farm. We had horses, chickens, pigs, cows, rabbits etc. and we ate them all. The only thing as kids we were not allowed to do is watch the animals being slaughtered. Once the animal was dead and hung up in the barn, we would assist in meat processing and butchering.
    Get over it. Its a pig and pig = good :)

haha well dog is eaten in many countries and i wont be eating my dogs. And pigs raised for butchery is a lot different then a pet. We are not raising our pigs for food we are having them as pets/companions. Yes there is no substitute for bacon, was just asking if there were anything suitable for my husband. I dont miss it at all.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    11910547_514100692087399_718461951_n.jpg

482081_orig.jpg

Omg yes for coconut bacon. Put it on a BLT and it is heaven. Seriously.

wooaah this is amazing!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    NONE of the above are bacon. NONE.
    As a kid raised on a farm. We had horses, chickens, pigs, cows, rabbits etc. and we ate them all. The only thing as kids we were not allowed to do is watch the animals being slaughtered. Once the animal was dead and hung up in the barn, we would assist in meat processing and butchering.
    Get over it. Its a pig and pig = good :)

haha well dog is eaten in many countries and i wont be eating my dogs. And pigs raised for butchery is a lot different then a pet. We are not raising our pigs for food we are having them as pets/companions. Yes there is no substitute for bacon, was just asking if there were anything suitable for my husband. I dont miss it at all.
    :lol: Love this response
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    11910547_514100692087399_718461951_n.jpg

482081_orig.jpg

Omg yes for coconut bacon. Put it on a BLT and it is heaven. Seriously.

wooaah this is amazing!

Yes... yes it is.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Thats a hilarious and understandable reason for not eating pork. How are they as pets? I've more or less switched to turkey bacon, which is a lie because its not bacon. It takes forever to cook in comparison to actual bacon and it needs to be seasoned. There are also chicken "sausage" that come in a number of flavors that can be pretty good as well. I get them from a regional store here in South Florida but I know Whole Foods also makes them.

they are actually smarter then dogs and just as loving and loyal! we eat loads of chicken sausage from breakfast to italian.. whole foods kills the chicken sausage game haha! ive had turkey bacon once and i was so angry hahaha! we will give it another go as i said i dont miss it now that its been a while but the husband for sure misses it.

We had one she was so smart. Why that pig could pi $$ my wife off in 5 minutes, it normally takes me an hour.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Smoke salmon- A bit left of field I know to bacon, but has heaps of flavor, a bit salty, don't need to cook it, last ages refrigerated also. A lot better for you too.
  • Mar6john
    Mar6john Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes Turkey Bacon
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you have a Kroger in your area but I'm more than happy with their store brand of turkey bacon.
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've eaten Oscar Meyer turkey bacon for years. It is obviously not as good as regular bacon, but it does just fine.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    Smoke salmon- A bit left of field I know to bacon, but has heaps of flavor, a bit salty, don't need to cook it, last ages refrigerated also. A lot better for you too.

Totally. Smoky and salty!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute for real bacon.

Ditto.

I'm in the process of getting chickens and don't have any desire to stop eating chicken, I can't fathom I'd stop eating pork just because I had a pig. Does that make me a monster? LOL

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    This is pretty good. It's nothing like bacon but it's good.

I know someone out there is gonna close their laptop after seeing this.

TofurkyBaconLG.jpg
    tempeh-bacon.jpg

That looks disgusting LOL
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    As an avid foodie, for years, and as a loser currently eating a paleo protocol, and as someone who tries to stay away from nitrites and nitrates, I highly recommend uncured nitrite-free BEEF bacon and as a second, even better alternative, DUCK bacon, that is, smoked duck breast sliced thin and pan-fried. Both are virtually indistinguishable from pork, and satisfy all of the crispy, crunchy, fatty, smoky goodness of pork belly or back bacon.

I buy the beef bacon at Whole Foods, and I get the smoked duck breast from a local poultry farm that has a stall at my local farmers' market. Both are delicious.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    PS: I have never understood why vegans/vegetarians need fake meat. If i am philosophically opposed to eating animals, why eat something that resembles meat in any way? Tofurkey? Tofu cold cuts?? Tofu BACON??? I'm not knocking it...I just don't understand it.