Tracking salads

Options
13»

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh my salad but I don't anymore, now just rough estimates (cups, ounces, whatever). I use a calorie-free dressing and I don't put protein or cheese or stuff on my salads so I don't figure it matters. Which, given my results so far, seems to be correct.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    We pay 2.50-5.00 for a bag of salad here, and I'm in the states
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I never buy salad. $7.00 at Culvers...................for what, mostly lettuce. At that price you could make a lot of salads.

Honestly, is salad really that expensive in the US?!!! I'm really shocked - it's normally about £1 a bag here in the UK.

If it helps, Culver's is basically a fast-food restaurant... that's why it's so expensive. Buying salad is, surprisingly, often more expensive than purchasing, say, a burger, chicken nuggets, some kinda steak meal if you're somewhere a bit nicer, and so on. It should be noted that I'm talking about salad meals that often include a variety of ingredients. A small side salad doesn't cost that much.

It wouldn't be quite that expensive if they were buying just a bag of salad mix lol. I think here it's usually USD$2.00 (£1.40) - USD$4.00 (£2.81) a bag :)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I never buy salad. $7.00 at Culvers...................for what, mostly lettuce. At that price you could make a lot of salads.

Honestly, is salad really that expensive in the US?!!! I'm really shocked - it's normally about £1 a bag here in the UK.

That was for a salad, not just lettuce, I think. Here a bag is $3 or so, a bit less when on sale, but yeah, not cheap.

If I went to Trader Joe's less, but I get the publix brand summer mix and it's $3/bag.
    Now if you want to go to a restaurant and get a salad, now you're talking $6-9 for a bowl.
  • lll109
    lll109 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I used to weigh my salad but I don't anymore, now just rough estimates (cups, ounces, whatever). I use a calorie-free dressing and I don't put protein or cheese or stuff on my salads so I don't figure it matters. Which, given my results so far, seems to be correct.

I usually use a fat free dressing, what dressing is calorie free? Adding protein makes it so I'm not hungry an hour later. Lean protein only.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    lll109 wrote: »

I usually use a fat free dressing, what dressing is calorie free? Adding protein makes it so I'm not hungry an hour later. Lean protein only.

I'm hoping they meant fat free. :wink: I prefer a little protein with my foods, same reasoning.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I usually just skip dressing altogether, or use a little balsamic vinegar and call it good. But my salads, like so many have said above, are often a mixing bowl full of food... you know.. the big mixing bowl you'd use for a whole cake. It can easily end up being 5-600+ calories if I'm not paying attention.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    lll109 wrote: »

Most likely Walden Farms. I have never tried their products but they're calorie free per serving.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    Not at all. My salads are simply iceberg lettuce, baby spinach and cherry tomatoes. I do measure my oil and balsamic vinegar.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I track each ingredient by weight in grams. I just set the bowl on the scale while I prepare, and tare out after each addition.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I've never seen a $7 bag of salad. That may be in Canada.

For bagged salads in general, it's cheaper when you buy the components individually, but some people value convenience.

naw. my boyfriend lives in canada. grocery prices there are pretty darn similar to here, after you calculate the currency difference.