Your green smoothie creations!!

Options
I have become very interested in making drinking green smoothies. I have made a couple of delicious ones and one or two really bad ones. Haha. I thought I could share some of my creations and try some news mixtures if anyone would like to share some of their favorites.. So have at it! :)

Replies

• Nelson081
    Nelson081 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Also looking for some green smoothies. I usually do fruit but I need a change up to get some greens in.
  • weightlossforbrian
    weightlossforbrian Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have never really liked green smoothies. hopefully someone can post a really good recipe.
  • JanineAnnLopez
    Options
    I made this the other day and it was great! It was a refreshing citrus shake! It was gone before I could clean up the kitchen! lol

1 juiced lime.
    Half a juiced grapefruit.
    Half a banana.
    Half cup pineapple nectar (guesstimate).
    A small chunk of fresh ginger root, about 1 tsp.
    Large handful of spinach.
    Ice cubes as desired.
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    1.0 cups of spinach
    1.5 cups of kale
    1/2 cucumber
    1/2 cup of strawberries
    2 slices of pineapples
    1 scoop of designer whey vanilla almond protein powder
    3-4 ice cubes
    1/2 cup of water

VERY GOOD and MAKES ENOUGH to split into 2 snacks.
  • keckygirl301
    Options
    Hi, Here is my favorite green smoothie.

1 Ripe Mango
    1 cup Spinach
    4 cups Romaine Lettuce
    ( I chopped both the spinach and romaine to help the blending)
    1/2 Cup Soy, Hemp or Almond Milk (use to your desired thickness)
    1 Tbl Chia Seed
    1 Tbl Ground Flaxseed

Blend the Mango, spinach and 1/2 romaine until smooth, add remaining romaine. blend, then add remaining ingredients, chia seeds, flaxseed and your milk choice. Then blend until desired thickness, add additional milk if you like it thinner. You can also add 1/2 banana to add some additional flavor. A frozen banana would be good to make it cooler...

Enjoy!
  • megadethkt
    megadethkt Posts: 19
    Options
    Banana-Mint Smoothie

2 whole bananas
    2 cups fresh baby spinach (or other leafy green)
    1 tbs mint
    1/2 cup water
    1 TbsChia Seed
    1 Tbs Ground Flaxseed
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    One I made yesterday was good!!!!
    1/2 banana
    1/2 mango1/2 cup strawberries
    2 cups spring mix
    2 tablespoons of raw whole cashews
    Add water
  • H3TR0
    H3TR0 Posts: 87
    Options
    I have become very interested in making drinking green smoothies. I have made a couple of delicious ones and one or two really bad ones. Haha. I thought I could share some of my creations and try some news mixtures if anyone would like to share some of their favorites.. So have at it! :)

When I make a "green" smoothie, I use my regular smoothie base with a little tweaking. I think it's important to remember that green smoothies don't have to *look* green and I say this because my smoothie creation is still relatively blue/purple :wink:

So every smoothie I make has the base of a frozen banana. I cut my ingredients up ahead of time and freeze them because I like a good chilly smoothie, but fresh is fine as well, I just recommend freezing the banana for texture purposes.

Here it is:
    1 medium banana
    1 cup strawberries
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/4 cup coconut milk
    water as needed
    2 spinach ice cubes

Spinach ice cubes -- I am a dunce and always forget about spinach when I buy it or it goes bad before I get to use it all. So when I want to add greens to my smoothies for the week, I prepare ahead of time by making spinach ice cubes.

Just add spinach to your blender a handful or two at a time (depending on the size of your blender) with a quarter cup of water. Blend it down to a liquid then add another handful, etc., until it's all blended. Add water as needed. The consistency I shoot for is a thick soup, but smooth enough to pour. Pour into ice cube trays and freeze.

I bought extra ice cube trays for this because they are VERY green ice cubes and I don't like having to scrub the color out haha. I use a paring knife to loosen the cubes when I take them out for a smoothie so I don't get green fingers (it washes off though).

Add 2 cubes to your smoothie to get greens into your day! The best part is that you've already blended the spinach, so it's better broken down and less noticeable flavor wise. I've been told you can do this with kale but I'm kind of scared of kale!
  • sweet_chks
    sweet_chks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i basically drink a greek yogurt/blueberry, almond milk smoothie in the morning but i have added vitamineral greens to my morning routine (they give it great reviews). anyways, not as bad as i thought, i just mix 3-4 ounces of v-8 with 1 1/2 tblspns, give it a good stir and down it before my fruity smoothy. seems to have given me alot more energy (its just a head thing, if you think its going to be awful and start overthinking, you'll probably choke.) also, apparently, depending on how much processed food you eat, your body is less likely to be alkalined and it will taste worse at first until your body adjusts. anyways, its a breeze now. i also did dr. oz's three day cleanse and am continuing on with those supplements.

once i have that as my breakfast, i'm, on my days, good until dinner (sometimes i snack on hummus and kamut flatbreads or something else) or have a hardboiled egg but i'm good, alot until dinner. oh, by the way, since i have hypothyroidism, there are alot of vegees i'm to stay away from so this vitamineral green is thyroid friendly, which is an important reason i chose - ( now i know i'm getting my dose of greens everyday. cheers!
  • gibsonsg45
    Options
    here is one I think isnt too bad It is highg in fiber and low calorie

Ingredients

Makes 3-4 servings (about 28-30 oz)

2 cups spinach
    1/2 cucumber
    1/4 head of celery

1/2 bunch parsley

1 bunch mint

3 carrots

2 apples

1/4 orange

1/4 lime

1/4 lemon

1/4 pineapple

Directions

Combine all ingredients in a blender. Serve and enjoy!
  • JanineAnnLopez
    Options
    This morning I made the one I recommended before and it was just as good as before!! Delicious!! :D
  • JanineAnnLopez
    Options
    NEVER EVER PUT APPLE CIDER VINEGAR IN YOUR SMOOTHIES IT IS REVOLTING!!!! XP
  • lyttmab
    lyttmab Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is my go-to green smoothie:

Spinach - Fresh, Raw, 1 cup chopped
    Kale - Fresh Raw, 1 cup chopped
    2% Plain Greek Yogurt, 3.5 oz
    Natural - Creamy Peanut Butter, 2 Tbsp
    Flaxseed Meal, 1 tbsp
    Almond Milk Unsweetened, 1/2 cup
    1 Medium soft Banana
    Ice Cubes

I always blend the almond milk, spinach and kale first to make sure it gets good and blended then add the rest . . . it makes too much for me so I split it in half and freeze the other half.

For half it's 230 calories, 12 carbs, 6 g fiber, 11 g fat, 13 g sugar

Thanks for this post - I have some new recipes to try now!
  • massedeffect
    Options
    What a blessing this thread is! I was just researching fruit/veggie drink options. I was trying to recreate the Naked Juice Green Machine taste, which I like, but which turns out to be unhealthy when I did research....I thought I was being so virtuous drinking it instead of fruit juice. :(
  • slimkat82
    slimkat82 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Fellow Green Smoothie Lovers!

Here is one of my Green Smoothie Recipes, hope you like it.
    I call this my Quick Healthy Green Smoothie:
    Ingredients are as follows, Fresh Strawberry just one, but a large one. A medium sized carrot chopped. About 15oz of Deer Park spring water. Medium sized Naval Orange. About 3oz of Spinach preferably organic. About 0.5 of a bunch of Kale. 1/4 cup or 1oz of Raw Cashews unsalted. About 1/8 cup of unsalted Pumpkin Seeds.

It comes out to about 330 calories, 28 carbs, 20 fat, 13 protein, 86 sodium, 30 iron.
    I haven't entered it into the My Fitness Pal Database yet, so you won't find it there.
    I found it quite tasty I hope you all enjoy it to. I have other ones I have made. If you like feel free to add me as a friend. Let's cheer each other on, ok?
  • Amiike
    Amiike Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm desperately waiting for my new blender so I just leave this comment to find the post later :smile:
  • CeeGee81
    CeeGee81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is the one I make and have almost every morning...love love love it!!

Classic Green Monster

Yield: 1 serving/2 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
    1 ripe banana, preferably peeled + frozen
    2 handfuls organic spinach or 1 handful kale
    1 tbsp chia seeds OR 1 tbsp ground flax
    1 tbsp nut butter, optional
    1-3 ice cubes
    protein powder of choice, optional

Directions: Starting with the liquid, add in 1 cup of milk of your choice. Now add in the chia or flax and nut butter. Next, add in the spinach followed by the banana on top. Blend until smooth. Add in your ice cubes and blend some more. Serves 1- about 2 cups.

Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/13/classic-green-monster/#ixzz2YGdiVsiH
  • mmg0327
    mmg0327 Posts: 29
    Options
    Bump for the spinach ice cubes--love it!
  • 76hellokitty
    Options
    Discovered this gem a few days ago~ 1 stalk celery, 1 large Roma tomato, 3/4 cup spinach, 1/2 large cucumber, 1/4 cup water, and some ice. Add Frank's hot sauce,onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper all to taste. Blend it up in your smoothie maker of choice and drink up. I can't believe how awesome this taste! I should add that this is not going to be a meal smoothie but rather in addition to your meal. I have this at lunch with my tuna/ protein.
  • Nibornomis
    Nibornomis Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    love this!! Will do it this coming week...
    Thanks for posting!!