My go to...

1 cup coconut water
    handful kale
    handful spinach
    handful blueberries
    a few frozen strawberries
    1 tbsp coconut oil
    1 tbsp hemp seeds

Sometimes I add almond butter or add in a banana. If it's going to be my lunch I add in a little more!
  • HSDramamom
    HSDramamom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For those looking for a decent blender, after doing some research, I purchased a Ninja blender: http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Kitchen-System-Blender-Cookbook/dp/B005Y1SAA2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1374353029&sr=8-12&keywords=ninja+blender and have found it to be a really powerful blender. It isn't a Vitamix, but it surely is less expensive and does a great job mixing our smoothies.
  • javadazed
    javadazed Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This really sounds good, I was looking for a non fruit smoothie
  • javadazed
    Options
    Discovered this gem a few days ago~ 1 stalk celery, 1 large Roma tomato, 3/4 cup spinach, 1/2 large cucumber, 1/4 cup water, and some ice. Add Frank's hot sauce,onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper all to taste. Blend it up in your smoothie maker of choice and drink up. I can't believe how awesome this taste! I should add that this is not going to be a meal smoothie but rather in addition to your meal. I have this at lunch with my tuna/ protein.

Thanks I have been looking for a non fruit smoothie and this sounds delicious
  • javadazed
    Options
    For those looking for a decent blender, after doing some research, I purchased a Ninja blender: http://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Kitchen-System-Blender-Cookbook/dp/B005Y1SAA2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1374353029&sr=8-12&keywords=ninja+blender and have found it to be a really powerful blender. It isn't a Vitamix, but it surely is less expensive and does a great job mixing our smoothies.

I also own a Ninja and absolutely love it!!!
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My favorite is:

1 cup of spinach
    handful of kale leaves
    1/2 green apple
    lime juice
    cucumber slices
    1 stalk of celery

THIS IS SO DELICIOUS!!!! add some ice and it is a great slushie.

<3 this one. I drink the same. I'm not a big fan of a ton of fruit in my green smoothies.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    1 cup of green grapes
    a handful of chopped kale
    a 1/2" piece of ginger
    1/2 cup pineapple juice
    1/4 cup sliced cucumber
    1/2 cup chopped broccoli
    1 cup ice
    Blend until smooth. It's about 70 calories per cup and it tastes pretty yummy for how many nutrients are in it.
  • carolineleigh1234
    Options
    I splashed out and brought a vitamix. I'm not great at eating my veg, but I add things to my green smoothies that I wouldn't other eat. My current concoction is
    Tomato
    1 date
    Handful of cranberries
    Handful of raspberries
    Slice of unwaxed lemon (including the rind)
    Parsley
    Cucumber
    And finally 2 big handfuls of spinach

I make a whole jug of this and split into 2 bottles, one I drink straight away the other I save in the fridge till the evening. The whole jug only comes to 350 very healthy calories
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    in to save
  • SapphireBlossom
    SapphireBlossom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kale, Spinnach, 1/2 banana, 1 Spear Pineapple, 1 mint leaf, 3 thick slices cucumber, 1 cup Unsweetened Apple Juice

I use the Ninja individual blender and fill to the line, so sometimes the measurements vary. Delicious.

I added a half a carrot once and it ruined it. Also, once tried adding a scoop of vanilla protein powder.... that did not end well at all. *barf*

This sounds really good! I am going to try this one! and I love the spinach cube idea! it always goes bad before I use it all.
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I just made my first green smoothie and it wasn't bad.

1c water
    2c spinach
    1 apple
    1 orange, somewhat peeled
    1/2 banana
    juice of 1/2 lemon

Blend the water and spinach then add the other ingredients, blend until smooth.

I got the simple recipe off of YouTube and will definitely tweak it. The lemon juice left it a bit bitter for my taste and it was bland. It did turn out rather pulpy, chunky-ish. Is this normal? It was like drinking slightly liquid applesauce.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My go to recipe is:
    - 1c kefir (protein!)
    - 3c spinach
    - 3/4c mixed berries
    - 1 petite banana

Even my husband loves it!
  • DargDog
    DargDog Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Rumor from the North Pole is that I have been a good boy and am getting a NutriBullet for Christmas. I say rumor because of the "good boy" part :noway: Posting so I can sticky this topic.
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    I love my NutriBullet! I've had it for about a year now and have a smoothie for breakfast every morning. This is my go-to breakfast:

in the large nutribullet cup I blend
    1 handful of spinach or kale, or other greens. We grew chard in the garden over the summer and it was fantastic!
    1/2 carrot
    1/2 celery stalk
    1/4 to a 1/2 cup of frozen fruit (I alternate between cherries, blueberries or strawberries)
    about 1/4 C plain greek yogurt for my protein
    1/4 cup old fashioned oats
    small handful of pepitas
    1 scoop of maca powder
    fill to the max line w/water and unsweetened coconut or almond milk (about 1 cup)

Soo good, and naturally sweet!
  • eugovogue
    Options
    Banana-Mint Smoothie

2 whole bananas
    2 cups fresh baby spinach (or other leafy green)
    1 tbs mint
    1/2 cup water
    1 TbsChia Seed
    1 Tbs Ground Flaxseed
    ]

uh, this sounds like heaven, thanks!
  • shaybell34
    shaybell34 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love making green smoothies. My health shows positive when i drink the green over solid foods. An love you guys recipes. I just tried the green with beets an boy, that one had me feeling real good but the taste was over powering lol. It needs less beet .. Happy blending
  • lindathome
    lindathome Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A can't miss: (Special note - I make these at work so convenience has become necessary ... I use a Ninja blender)
    2-3 cups of spinach - blend this up first
    1 scoop of either Muscle Milk Light CAKE BATTER flavored protein powder - or Chocolate (I prefer the cake batter flavor, husband likes just plain Vanilla)
    1 Tablespoon of ground Flax Seed (big bag available at Costco should last me 10 years LOL)
    Either 1 whole apple (Cored, but leave the skin on for the fiber plus) ... prefer Honey Crisp but any apple will do ...
    IF I don't use a whole apple, I go for convenience and use a package of baby food - yes baby food. Favorite is the Gerber Spinach, Blueberry, Apple flavor but I also use the Buddy Fruits packages readily available anywhere. (I keep like 10+ of these fruit envelopes in my desk at all times for snacking and smoothies. Not as good as whole fresh fruit but better than cookies and brownies.)
    LOTS of ice - like 24 oz of it.
    4 oz of any Bolthouse Farms juice (I like the blue one best)
    Blend ... I swear it's like ice cream.
    I've made a LOT of green smoothie converts at work with this recipe.
  • shaybell34
    Options
    What are pepitas? This recipe sound very healthy an would like to make.
  • shaybell34
    Options
    Error
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    omg i LOVE green drinks!

heres my fave...

1c. mint chocolate chip ice cream (any brand will do, but not "lite" or anything)
    1/4c. whole milk or half and half
    6TBS creme de menthe liquer (or more depending on your preference)

i like to top mine with whipped cream from a can.

insert straw, sip, and enjoy!