This was a halirious read :-D
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    And it isn't even Friday. .....
  • johnandkymberley
    johnandkymberley Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Size102b - can you just clarify on what you mean by 'you burn fat by eating less than your body needs' how do I know how much my body needs? Is there a way to find out?

I really mean this as a genuine question as it seems like a really interesting point but would like to apply it to myself personally :) thanks x
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    CICO
    Calories in calories out

You need to find out how many calories your body needs to lose weight/fat
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Size102b - can you just clarify on what you mean by 'you burn fat by eating less than your body needs' how do I know how much my body needs? Is there a way to find out?

I really mean this as a genuine question as it seems like a really interesting point but would like to apply it to myself personally :) thanks x

The number of calories your body uses in a day is called your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This is the number of calories you could eat to maintain your current weight. It's also the number of calories you'd need to eat below to lose weight.

You can use an online calculator (like: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/) to get an estimate of yours, but keep in mind that it is just an estimate. Your true TDEE may be a little higher or lower.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    CICO
    Calories in calories out

You need to find out how many calories your body needs to lose weight/fat

True. The only way I have read about to learn net CICO results is a good set of bathroom scales. When one can go 30 days without weight going up or down on average one knows the net results of their CICO numbers are equal.
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my suggestion. change eating habits. and walk daily. some ppl have ussues that make them gain weight and some have issues that make them lose weight. if u workout or eat right and see no progress go see a doctor or nutritionist so make sure everything is ok. ull be ok. pills suvk. take some high protein supplements and get amped to work out. listen to music when u do its soooo motivating.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    what are these pills made for then?
    if nobody has anything positive to say, then dont say anything at all. i didnt come on here for an argument!

Maybe the problem is in the "weight loss pill" phrase?
    What type of products are you looking for? I'm using supplements, such as CLA, inulin, PhD series for women, I take them with exercise and sticking to my diet.

There's plenty of products for water retention as well, however they work just as good as natural products and only if you have underlying problem with water retention. Maybe your diet isn't fiber-rich that can slow your weight loss as well... natural capsaicin? Boosts fat burning as well.
    There's plenty to say and plenty to nag about when someone asks about weight loss pill.

If only that was so easy ;)

Have a lovely day ahead

Adding fiber can help stem your appetite, but it won't boost weight loss. Neither will capsaicin.
  • johnandkymberley
    johnandkymberley Posts: 62 Member
    Options

The number of calories your body uses in a day is called your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). This is the number of calories you could eat to maintain your current weight. It's also the number of calories you'd need to eat below to lose weight.

You can use an online calculator (like: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/) to get an estimate of yours, but keep in mind that it is just an estimate. Your true TDEE may be a little higher or lower.

Can I use myfitnesspals calorie estimator? Xx
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Can I use myfitnesspals calorie estimator? Xx

Of course. MFP does all the math for you to give you a calorie goal with a deficit built in. I'm sorry if I gave you the impression otherwise.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Most people on here start out by entering their stats and goals into their profile and getting a suggested number of calories to eat each day to lose weight. That's what the site is designed for. If in a few weeks or a month they don't see results, they can reduce the number of calories by 100 or so and reassess.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I dont go by mfp calculator as the exercise calories aren't correct as in we are all different height age intensity
    There's a lot calculators out there all different so I think it's trial & error you need a rough calorie guide then up it it lower it until you lose weight which is the hard part.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    what are these pills made for then?
    if nobody has anything positive to say, then dont say anything at all. i didnt come on here for an argument!

The answers you received are the reason I asked my initial question. :smile: There is a division on MFP as to the use of 'diet' and 'metabolic enhancing' pills. The majority of us (or at least the majority that comment) do not use them, and will never encourage someone to use them.

It's not so much as cheating, but 1. Sometimes those pills contain ingredients that you probably don't want to use and in some cases contain addictive substances 2. Are not ultimately necessary if you are in general fine health otherwise. If you're not, the best thing to do is see a doctor so they can correct your medical issues.

If you feel that you absolutely need something to help, also talk to the doctor about that as well. That way they can put you on the correct path of what to take, rather than strangers on the internet tossing about random suggestions that 'have worked for them' (or perhaps so they just think).

As @cityruss also pointed out, the pills and other 'weight loss' products and gimmicks are made, because people feel the need for them. In some cases it's a get thin quick want, in others because they're not really trying and they want an easy way, and for some it's just that they feel, as you do, that they could use a little help. All the woowoo products in the world aren't going to help you a bit if you don't learn the fundamentals of eating within your caloric means in the first place, and you can't do that with a product in a box, or a wrap, or a detox, or a pill.
  • Dani_________
    Dani_________ Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Alli worked really well for me. I would recommend it.
    But... The side affects of these particular pills are the reason I stopped taking diet pills all together.
    I currently use meal replacement protein shakes . I feel like the results are quicker.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    afura, as i said, i want something to help me out with my diet, so i can lose weight faster

Weighing and logging your food and staying in a calorie deficit is the best, healthier and cheaper "diet pill." It looks like you are not doing that, so why don't you try that approach first?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    But... The side affects of these particular pills are the reason I stopped taking diet pills all together.
    I currently use meal replacement protein shakes . I feel like the results are quicker.

Different strokes for different folks.

I could never use Alli knowing that orange fatty discharge out of my booty is an acceptable side effect. Nope. No thank you. I'd rather count calories and just naturally maintain a caloric deficit.

Orange greasy poo is something you just cannot ever unsee. Ask me how I know. I'm sure someone has the link to that thread handy...
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »

Different strokes for different folks.

I could never use Alli knowing that orange fatty discharge out of my booty is an acceptable side effect. Nope. No thank you. I'd rather count calories and just naturally maintain a caloric deficit.

Orange greasy poo is something you just cannot ever unsee. Ask me how I know. I'm sure someone has the link to that thread handy...

Liver damage was an added bonus for me... :neutral:
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    no need to be rude! jeeeez! its not like im asking for a magic pill where i dont have to diet aswell is it?

Aren't you?
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    i would like something to help me out with my diet. can anyone recommend any weight loss pills that work? i tried adios a long time ago but they didnt work. ive been looking into raspberry ketones, and detox pills, but they all have mixed reviews
    no need to be rude! jeeeez! its not like im asking for a magic pill where i dont have to diet aswell is it?

As your past should have taught you by now, magic pills don't work (yes, magic pills).

As an aside, read this. It's a little funny, a little pathetic, and mostly a good warning. Please don't listen to @Dani_________
    https://jeffvrabel.com/2010/01/14/warning-oily-discharge-ahead/