Does anyone NOT eat bananas?

Options

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I do not eat bananas. They make my tongue itch. :'(

It could also be a latex allergy depending on a person's severity of the allergy a lot of Ppl allergic to latex are allergic to bananas.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bananas often. In my day to day I tend towards lower glycemic load fruits...I like berries and I usually eat an apple every day. I like bananas and other higher GL fruits when I'm going to have a strenuously active day...like an all day hike or something where I'm just going to be torching the sugar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,531 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, but it's not one of my main fruit staples.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I don't really. Not for any real reason, i'm just not a banana person. I like strawberries and apples.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Me - I don't like them. I find there is a tiny window in which they taste good so I don't bother.

I am not much of a fruit eater - give me any fruit and I can give you a reason why I don't care for it.

I do like fresh picked ripe strawberries from the field, but I only do that once a year.
  • liannangel2004
    liannangel2004 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

This is probably Oral Allergy Syndrome from the pollen. I have this & can't eat them. Are there other fruits & veg that you can't eat?

When I was a child I was not allergic to anything. When I was about 16, I noticed that when I ate bananas my tongue would start to itch. It was not until about a year or two ago, when I started trying to eat healthier, that I became curious as to why certain foods now made me itch. I also came across the Oral Allergy Syndrome diagnosis. :)

Apples really make me itch. However, applesauce does not. I tried boiling peeling and boiling an apple. I still was itchy. Most fruit, aside from citrus, now makes me itch. I do eat peanuts, but nuts make me a bit nervous. About 2 years ago I was eating a Nature Valley Nut bar and I could barely swallow! I thought I might have to go to the hospital. However, after about 5 minutes I was okay.

I am tempted to try a banana again because I honestly think it has been over 10 years since I had one. :(
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I don't "not" eat them. I just don't like the way they make my gums itch. Otherwise, I have nothing against bananas. I'll have one once in a while if I'm that hungry.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    My wife hates bananas
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    Interesting. . . I love bananas but don't eat them very often after a debate about them when I was in the hospital. It was thought that I was backed up (according to them) more than likely from eating bananas. My system went from about once a day then, to since giving up bananas I go 3 times a day!

@Adc7225 your post is good example we all can respond differently to the same food and why social media is not a good and safe source of eating advice. What that may be fine for one to eat may be bad for another.

draxe.com/banana-nutrition/

This seems to be a more or less balanced article but we can the carb/fiber ratio does not make them a weight loss food of choice for some perhaps.

Please stop linking to quacks.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with bananas. If I eat only 1 banana every few weeks I love them. If I try to eat two within the same timeframe I literally gag on the second one. Too much of a good thing and all that I suppose...
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Interesting. . . I love bananas but don't eat them very often after a debate about them when I was in the hospital. It was thought that I was backed up (according to them) more than likely from eating bananas. My system went from about once a day then, to since giving up bananas I go 3 times a day!

@Adc7225 your post is good example we all can respond differently to the same food and why social media is not a good and safe source of eating advice. What that may be fine for one to eat may be bad for another.

This seems to be a more or less balanced article but we can the carb/fiber ratio does not make them a weight loss food of choice for some perhaps.

hes must seriously hate bananas
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

He was probably accosted by this guy

4e55.gif
  • beautifulsparkles
    beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
    Options

4e55.gif

Well thats the weirdest thing I've seen this week!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

4e55.gif

this is aaaammmaazing babahah. as well as your profile pic.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love bananas, and usually have one a few times a week, I add them to smoothies or ice cream. I stick to the 70ish grammers, and only like them if they are yellow and green.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I love bananas, and usually have one a few times a week, I add them to smoothies or ice cream. I stick to the 70ish grammers, and only like them if they are yellow and green.

I only like them yellow speckled lightly with tiny brown spots. Like I said it is a very tiny window. They go from that to overripe in a flash.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options

Kiwifruits do that to me !

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If a whole banana in a smoothie is too sweet, try half a banana -- you get the flavor without so much sweetness. I like to cut them in half and freeze them for use in smoothies.
  • liannangel2004
    liannangel2004 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »

Kiwifruits do that to me !

Kiwifruit really hates me! For me, I think they are worse than apples.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I slice and freeze them, and add them to smoothies.