Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does anyone NOT eat bananas?

Replies

• livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    I eat bananas all the time, and always with peanut butter (in oats, on toast).
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    I toss one in every smoothie. That sure beats that half gallon of ice cream I used to slug down my fat throat after lifting...you know...for "muscle recovery"... :*
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    I don't like bananas unless they're in bread form. :) I also find them too sweet for smoothies.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    I eat one banana every day as part of my breakfast..

http://readanddigest.com/health-benefits-of-bananas/
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    I hate them.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    I used to hate them when I was a kid. Now as long as they're not too green or too terribly ripe I will eat them, usually one every day in fact. I find that eating one around 9:30 helps keep my blood sugar even, because if I eat a very light breakfast (usually not hungry that early) and then don't eat lunch until 11:45 or noon I get a big blood sugar spike and then crash. Eating a banana mid morning has helped me avoid this usually. I also like them because they are easy to transport, take about 5 minutes or less to eat and are very sweet for when I'm craving something sweet.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I have never liked them--even as a kid, but would tolerate them occasionally in a dessert or smoothie if someone else made it.

Then I traveled to central America and learned what they do to the environment and the laborers who work the plantations. Haven't had so much as a bite of one in 15 years.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    For anyone that has Oral Allergy Syndrom, there's a pretty decent closed Facebook group that has quite a few members with it. Seems like several on this thread might.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I have never liked them--even as a kid, but would tolerate them occasionally in a dessert or smoothie if someone else made it.

Then I traveled to central America and learned what they do to the environment and the laborers who work the plantations. Haven't had so much as a bite of one in 15 years.

Thankfully my bananas all come from Queensland

• 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member

Now we have a Free Trade Agreement with USA could import ours!
  • Christine_72
    6pkdreamer wrote: »

Now we have a Free Trade Agreement with USA could import ours!

oh jeez I hope not! Why import something that grows in our own backyard. Stupid Government! !!
  • CrystalCampbell2
    CrystalCampbell2 Posts: 1 Member
    Love bananas. Eat two everyday. Great source of potassium.
  • 6pkdreamer

Now we have a Free Trade Agreement with USA could import EXPORT ours!

oh jeez I hope not! Why import something that grows in our own backyard. Stupid Government! !!

...I meant EXPORT of course. (typo)
  • Christine_72

Now we have a Free Trade Agreement with USA could import EXPORT ours!

...I meant EXPORT of course. (typo)

Haha rereading your post, I get that now :smiley:

• drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    I love bananas but they are a lot of calories for not much food, so maybe only a few times a week, usually on cereal for breakfast.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I have no objections to bananas and I think they can fit right in to a healthy diet if you like them.

Very rarely I will get a craving for one and then I only like the ones that are just barely ripe, slightly green. I usually find myself wanting one when I've been super busy and waited too long to eat and I'm just ravenous! A very ripe banana by itself is sickeningly sweet and overly mushy to me, though oddly I do like a lot of sweet things with bananas as ingredients, like shakes, banana bread, ice cream, etc.

I would eat one as often as I wanted if only I liked them more. As long as they fit in my calories, it's all good!
  • 6pkdreamer
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I have no objections to bananas and I think they can fit right in to a healthy diet if you like them.

Very rarely I will get a craving for one and then I only like the ones that are just barely ripe, slightly green. I usually find myself wanting one when I've been super busy and waited too long to eat and I'm just ravenous! A very ripe banana by itself is sickeningly sweet and overly mushy to me, though oddly I do like a lot of sweet things with bananas as ingredients, like shakes, banana bread, ice cream, etc.

I would eat one as often as I wanted if only I liked them more. As long as they fit in my calories, it's all good!

Try plantain a different type of banana that is savory- generally you fry. Not sweet and just as many carbs but not as many are sugar. Not the easiest fruit to find!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't. I think they're too high calorie. I'd rather eat a piece of meat, can of tuna, small salad, 2 oreos...etc.

I wish meat was as cheap to buy as bananas!

Gah I barely even look at the price on food anymore. Everything I love is just so expensive.

I've looked at your instagram, I get so much food envy!

Are there any other foods you don't tend to eat?

I practice volumetrics so I tend not to eat too many calorie dense foods on a daily basis because I like to stuff my face with a lot of food for less.

I need to figure out how to do that because I want to eat all the time!

It can take a little practice. The easiest thing is to replace grains with double veg and an extra ounce or so of lean meat if you can fit it. I don't cook with oil or butter so I have room for cheese or extra meat instead. I'll look at a food like an egg for example...2 eggs, 140 calories. I'm getting fat and protein there. But if I break up these macros and get my protein from egg whites, 140 calories of egg whites has a lot more volume than 140 calories from 2 whole eggs. Now I can get my fat from entirely different food source. I have room for avocado, or bacon, etc.

I need to look up Volumetrics. For my lunches at work I usually tend to eat this way. I can easily eat 3-4 cups of salad, with 4-6 ounces of chicken breast, salad dressing, & maybe a few croutons.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    I'll have a banana maybe every few months if I make a smoothie for breakfast or a snack, but I rarely eat fruit.

I ate some Banana Pudding on Easter that was really good, but way too sweet.
  • 6pkdreamer
    I've been adding them to as a base or main ingrediant to smoothies- they taste too sweet/sugary. I definately prefer the savoury stuff these days, I don't think I enjoy many fruits.

Banana/2=sugar/2 ie don't put as much in!