What is the lowest carbs you can go

And still be able to perform a proper powerlifting workout for two to three hours a session?

Aside from caffeine, what stimulants can replace carbs for fueling that workout?

Without doing some like ketosis, how do I cut out carbs, just remove bread and vegetables?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Why do you think you need to cut carbs...most active people don't need to cut carbs...most active people eat carbs because they fuel those workouts and other things. If I was doing 2-3 hour powerlifting sessions, cutting carbs would be about the last thing on my mind.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    So the first thing I would ask, so it gives you something to think about...is why are you interested in cutting carbs (as you are inferring like you are wanting to go very low "what is the lowest carbs you can go")?

Carbs are appropriately consumed for activity, so someone say doing a Crossfit session would probably need more carbs than someone doing a power lifting session.

So in your situation, carbs would be more attuned to your current phase of training block you are doing...(i.e... hypertrophy cycle, strength cycle, or peaking cycle).

If you are wanting to cut some carbs, then just track what you are eating. Typically, just reducing the amount of processed food in lieu of whole foods is a good place to start, but don't feel like you have to restrict whole food groups to accomplish this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Who is conveying to you that you don't need carbs for optimal weight loss?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Don't cut carbs low it makes you grumpy :(
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

Aside from caffeine, what stimulants can replace carbs for fueling that workout?

None, including caffeine. A stimulant-induced workout without calories to fuel it will eventually lead to collapse, once you've outpaced your body's ability get energy from glycogen, fat, and other fuel stores. Your body cannot use stimulants for fuel. (Obviously, some people consumer their stimulants in forms that are packaged with calories/fuel.)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    And still be able to perform a proper powerlifting workout for two to three hours a session?

Without doing some like ketosis, how do I cut out carbs, just remove bread and vegetables?

I know nothing about powerlifting, but you can live and exercise on next to no carbohydrate intake. Whether it's optimal for a particular activity is above my pay grade.

Fat would replace some of the carbs, once you adapted to it, but glycogen reserves remain in low carb eaters (who have normal blood sugar levels too).
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    So, I replied to niner and the app killed it. Man.
  • ShodanPrime
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Who is conveying to you that you don't need carbs for optimal weight loss?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Try number 2. Hope the app doesn't wreck this.

Doc wants to try something lchf to check for insulin resistance. We were discussing some issues, and recent blood work. Cholesterol is too low, amongst other things.

Physically, I've found that I'm having a problem properly recovering. I'm running 5 a week where each main lift of the sesh gets at least 100reps at 80%, or if I'm doing 98%+, that drops to no more then 5 reps at that, then 50 at 80% so I don't get fried. I can handle 4 a week, but 5 is a problem. I'm using my home tens unit far too much, and taking pain killers like candy for the 5 a weeks.

Diet is a factor we're going to try to increase recovery, before trying sermorelin.
  • ShodanPrime
    edited April 2016
    Oh it didn't puke, nice.
  • ShodanPrime
    size102b wrote: »
    Don't cut carbs low it makes you grumpy :(

That's my default. Beer and protein makes this one happy.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    How many carbs do you usually eat, and what are all the main sources of carbs in your diet? I wouldn't suggest cutting vegetables, unless you mean starchy ones (like potatoes).
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    I eat under 25g net, and "vigorous" would be an appropriate description for my intensity of exercise. I know some folks who eat 0g carbs (literally none!) and manage to work out.

That being said, I did nudge into the free weights section of the gym this morning, and had to pause several times during my 1hr session due to light headedness. This has increased significantly since cutting carbs. I also typically work out in a fasting state.

If you do choose to try low carb for awhile, I recommend intaking some fat 30 - 60min before a workout, for fuel. Keep in mind that carbs are a more efficient / quick fuel source than fat, so while you will likely notice many of the benefits of going low carb, you may also experience some side effects while working out. These are normal, but you would need to listen to your body.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Most people cut out all bread pasta rice grains etc.. the serious Keto ones will cut out fruit and limit veg.. but it is recommended that if you work out or lift that you can benefit from a slightly higher carb count.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    How many carbs do you usually eat, and what are all the main sources of carbs in your diet? I wouldn't suggest cutting vegetables, unless you mean starchy ones (like potatoes).

Have you ever actually looked at the nutritional profile of a potato? It's pretty rockin'. I hate whole food shaming...it's stupid.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    I think some people focused too much on your question.... My questions is, how come your doing 2-3 HOURS of powerlifting??? Sounds like you are extending beyond the beneficial aspect of lifting when your program requires up to 3 hours. Which has shown to have more negative effects unless your a genetic freak bodybuilder. Even then, they don't train that long.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    I think some people focused too much on your question.... My questions is, how come your doing 2-3 HOURS of powerlifting??? Sounds like you are extending beyond the beneficial aspect of lifting when your program requires up to 3 hours. Which has shown to have more negative effects unless your a genetic freak bodybuilder. Even then, they don't train that long.

The length of the session does not matter as long as the program is setup correctly. My average session during a hypertrophy cycle will be 2+ hours due to the needed rest periods between sets and exercises. If the OP has the time, then I don't see an issue. The actual time of "work being done", is not that great to be of concern.
  • ShodanPrime

You sure there boss? Username leads me to believe you are a golfer and not a strength and conditioning coach with experience programming powerlifting. I could be wrong though.

2-3 hours is generally a pretty medium session that includes competition lifts, and hypertrophic work. For an example, my bench session yesterday was well over 275 reps.

All of it beneficial. I appreciate the concern though. I wouldn't suggest my program for people who are newbies or not focused on strength sports. :)
  • ShodanPrime

Probably 200gr or so daily based on my excel sheet. (Still taste testing here to see if logging works for me on this app.)

Sources: sweet taters, beer, bread, rice, regular taters, pasta, tortillas (kryptonite). In general. I won't say no to some pizza, or a nice slice of cake. Then I'll pay an hour penance in the gym for it, 5 squats for every bite.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I cut mine to about 250 when cutting.
  • ShodanPrime
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I cut mine to about 250 when cutting.

From? I have this feeling you can eat more than me, and I hate that... Lol