i will be 60 in a month and its hard:(.....really need some friends

Options
stesig13
stesig13 Posts: 247 Member
its not that i feel old or look gross. No. Its not about that....Its about the feeling of getting old.

Replies

• keokagal
    keokagal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Haha, I'm now 62! The numbers just don't compute in my brain.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    55 this year. But my husband is turning sixty soon. I sent you a friend request. I am looking for some others nearer my age. I just have a hard time relating to the 30s and 20s a lot of days. It's different. And now it's getting a lot more different with the internal heater turned up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    I loooove getting old! (I'm a 15-year survivor of stage III breast cancer, to give some perspective. I'm also a cancer widow. I know in my gut what the alternative to "getting older" really is.)

IMO, getting older doesn't automatically mean getting less strong, vital, engaged, intelligent, active, happy, flexible, resilient or competent. I just don't buy into the idea, common in our culture, that young is better than old, or that we of necessity stop growing and improving as the years go on.

I'm 60. There are folks around me in their 80s and beyond who can think and literally run circles around lots of the 30-somethings I meet. I want to be like them when I grow up.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm 59. Last year I was feeling your message, but this year I have a new lease on life, having shed 57 lbs. and developed the confidence that I can lose the rest of it by the end of this year.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    64 here and I've decided that I'm only as old as I allow myself to feel. My motto is "Growing older, not up". 60 is the new 30, haven't you heard?
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'll be 52 this year - my hubby will be 59. Mentally, I feel like I'm not a day over 28 - still playing in rock and roll bands for fun and exploring new art skills I didn't know I had (printmaking, anyone?). Physically, it's been a rough year or two - but I feel that with a little focus on eating better and moving more I'll become stronger than ever! I could use some support as well - I need accountability!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    60 is no different from 17, 20, 30, 40 or any other age. That "just a number" stuff is true. You are what you make yourself to be. You an be an "old, fat 30 something" and/or you can be a "vibrant, active 65 year old". Keep active, keep healthy and age means NOTHING! ciao ;-)
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm 63 and loving it especially since I have lost 30 pounds! I don't like that my favorite rock stars are dying off. that makes me feel old. LOL! I don't dye my hair and I wear jeans everyday so people tend to look at me weird but who cares! Add me if you want mutual support. I am here everyday! Good Luck!
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    60 is no different from 17, 20, 30, 40 or any other age. That "just a number" stuff is true. You are what you make yourself to be. You an be an "old, fat 30 something" and/or you can be a "vibrant, active 65 year old". Keep active, keep healthy and age means NOTHING! ciao ;-)

Well Said!
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I loooove getting old! (I'm a 15-year survivor of stage III breast cancer, to give some perspective. I'm also a cancer widow. I know in my gut what the alternative to "getting older" really is.)

IMO, getting older doesn't automatically mean getting less strong, vital, engaged, intelligent, active, happy, flexible, resilient or competent. I just don't buy into the idea, common in our culture, that young is better than old, or that we of necessity stop growing and improving as the years go on.

I'm 60. There are folks around me in their 80s and beyond who can think and literally run circles around lots of the 30-somethings I meet. I want to be like them when I grow up.

Congrats! You are awesome!
  • kathleenhunterdanceforever
    Options
    I'm 64 and might have more muscle than I did when I was younger. I work out with a trainer.....my goal is to be a trainer myself in a few months. Biological age is just a number! Real age is how you take care of yourself. I do need to loose about 7 pds though!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm 60, almost 61. 2 years ago I couldn't walk more than 5-10 min without excruciating foot, knee, &hip pain. I weighed over 300 pounds. Today I ran for 22 min for the first time in my life, pain free, followed by a workout. I've lost 137 pounds. I've walked three 10k events & several 5ks. Making this change has been much easier than staying overweight & unable to move freely. It's a matter of perspective.

@AnnPT77 so glad you are here to share your story with us. So thankful to have you as a friend.
  • diazwoman
    diazwoman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am pushing 55, sure it lots harder to lose, I want to lose my age, feel free to friend me could use the support
  • MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am turning 59 this week. I have decided to take control again. Age is just how long you have been around...I am determined to be healthy, active and in charge by my 60th!!! 50 pounds by my 60th. Looking forward to this challenge
  • nfrohwerk
    nfrohwerk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm 60, almost 61. 2 years ago I couldn't walk more than 5-10 min without excruciating foot, knee, &hip pain. I weighed over 300 pounds. Today I ran for 22 min for the first time in my life, pain free, followed by a workout. I've lost 137 pounds. I've walked three 10k events & several 5ks. Making this change has been much easier than staying overweight & unable to move freely. It's a matter of perspective.

@AnnPT77 so glad you are here to share your story with us. So thankful to have you as a friend.

Nanner57 I'm brand new on here. You are an inspiration. Thank you.
  • karenenriquez1225
    karenenriquez1225 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a youngin at age 46. I would love to friend any of you inspirational ladies. I had my daughter at 41 and my metabolism went through the floor. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • scruffy1961
    scruffy1961 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    55 male i weigh 150 kg or 330 lbs need knee replacements so either loose the weight or face a mixed future. Im looking for friends who are going through a similar journey and can help me stay accountable. Im not sure how you friend people here but if anyone is looking for someone to help and be helped by please friend me.

Pete
  • Zoelennette
    Zoelennette Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just turned 61. Lost 6 #s in 6 weeks, gained 1#. Relearning slow but sure how to make lifestyle changes. Not a diet. Just starting a program calorie, fat gram counting and activity . 2 weeks of consistancy breaks old habits. Staying motivated to Prevent Diabetis, longevity, increasing self worth and esteem. Hopefully role model for my children and grandchildren. To all peers hang in there keep up the good work.!
  • billutzman
    billutzman Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I recently turned 29 for the 21st time. Next yr is the half century mark. I am undecided how I will feel.