To run or not to run?

Options
13»

Replies

• jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If I run fast, I can only manage a quarter of a mile. If I jog at a reasonable pace, I can jog an entire mile before becoming flagged. I built up my ability to jog a mile by walking a minimum of 3 miles 4-5x a week, and slowly upping my distance (my longest walk has been 9 miles). Now I do intervals - 5 minutes walking, 5 minutes jogging, with occasional longer stretches of jogging when I'm feeling good.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I can power-walk as fast or faster than I can jog, BTW. It's slow, when it's good it's under 10 minutes per mile but not by much, (but I am slow).

You can power walk 10 minute miles? Really? You should consider entering in the Olympics for race walking.

I am currently jogging 15:30 minute/miles. I don't want any new runners posting on here to think 10 min-miles are slow, they are not.
  • amairs
    amairs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running too, but I am starting to like it more. I'm using the C25K app, and highly recommend it. It's way more fun when you can get outside and find fun places to jog.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Not trying to sell you on running, but since you said that you like jogging, a couple thoughts came to mind.
    First, a bit of vocabulary: Most folks who engage in running/jogging use the word "Pace" to describe the speed with which someone is moving (and often to describe the implied or associated level of effort) . Using PACE provides a common reference point for discussions, as opposed to trying to find the dividing line between "running" and "jogging". So, we can have a person who runs a 5k event at a 7:50/mile RACE PACE, and that same person may also do an easy 5k run on other training days at a 9:50-10:15 RECOVERY PACE. (Which looks a lot like jogging for a 7:50 RACE PACE runner.)

Secondly, and I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking that perhaps you may enjoy an activity that allows you to participate with other people. Since I know from experience that running really does help to drive weight loss when coupled with a solid eating plan, I'll offer this suggestion. Have you considered joining a local running group? For example, I volunteer as a pacing coach at my local running store. On Saturdays, we will often have 50-75 people show up to run. We divide them into groups based on 2 things: 1) the distance they are training for ( 5k, 10k, half marathon, etc.) and then secondly the PACE at which they will run(or jog). In these sessions it is typical to have beginners who can only do their chosen distance by using a run/walk strategy, up to very accomplished runners who breeze along. The important thing I"ve noticed is this: EVERYONE there is enjoying themselves and the support of the group is key to that satisfaction. Their relative speed has nothing to do with it. And over the course of an 8-12 week session, the improvements come quickly. Just some food for thought before you dismiss runnning. :)

Good luck.

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    Adding my two cents to an already well established thread, I never liked running until I joined the army, and even then I hated it. But then after a while I started liking it. I've ran 10k, half marathons and fulls. Of course I can't tell you to do what I did back in basic training, so just do what you enjoy. So yes, I love running, hate the treadmill though.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Jog? Run? Just do it.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options