Learning Paleo

Options
Can anyone help me get started learning what to eat and not eat on paleo, I need the strict version to lose weight.

Thanks
Renee

Replies

• BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Whole30? It's an extension of Paleo but even stricter. It's well worth doing if you can cope with it as it's only for a month so not only do you lose some weight but you also learn what foods cause headaches, joint pain, bloating etc. It basically follows Paleo principles with a few extra rules thrown in.x
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need a calorie deficit. You can eat anything you want. You may want to look at your diet composition to make sticking to the calorie deficit easier, but to lose weight, all you need is said deficit. Have you tried logging your food in the diary here?
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do Paleo to lose weight.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    See marksdailyapple.com for the primal version of paleo, its not so strict though but it does allow for flexibility

Not sure why you need the strict version to lose weight, paleo isn't necessarily about losing weight but some people have had success with weight loss. Some people don't lose weight on paleo because they still eat too much...
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Paleo and keto are not weight loss diets, they're a way of eating. You still need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

That being said, I've been on a keto diet for almost three months now and I've experienced some positive side effects.

It is true that, when you cut carbs out of the equation, you'll have an initial weight loss. Sometimes drastic. I lost 12-13lvs in the first three days. This is all retained water weight.

After that, you will level off and it is just like any other way of eating as far as weight loss goes. Keto tends to curb hunger in many people, so that can help with avoiding extra calories. But Paleo and keto are not a magical weight loss diet.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    Paleo and keto are not weight loss diets, they're a way of eating. You still need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

That being said, I've been on a keto diet for almost three months now and I've experienced some positive side effects.

It is true that, when you cut carbs out of the equation, you'll have an initial weight loss. Sometimes drastic. I lost 12-13lvs in the first three days. This is all retained water weight.

After that, you will level off and it is just like any other way of eating as far as weight loss goes. Keto tends to curb hunger in many people, so that can help with avoiding extra calories. But Paleo and keto are not a magical weight loss diet.

This.

And there are whole blogs and websites that are dedicated to paleo. I've only browsed through mark's daily apple, and as mentioned before, he's not strict. But I'm sure there are tons of others. I think Robb Wolf was one of the original paleo enthusiasts, so he might be stricter, but I'm not actually sure.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat a bunch of grubs and such I would guess.
  • Hiro_Protagonist
    Hiro_Protagonist Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    AcBrT8E.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Yes, this.

Typically, though, paleo means no grains (no bread or pasta, no rice, no corn, no oats, etc.), no legumes (this includes peanuts), and no dairy. Also no added sugar. It has nothing to do with macro balance--usually it's recommended to eat more carbs if you are more active and less if you are not, with sweet potatoes, potatoes, plantains, yuca, and other starchy veg not excluded being sources of carbs, as well as fruit.

I don't agree with the premises for excluding all of the things paleo does (or with W30). IMO, legumes, especially, but also whole grains and dairy, can really contribute to an overall healthy diet, and the premise that people didn't eat these foods until after the paleo period is wrong and wouldn't matter anyway.

I think some people find it a blueprint to improving their diets and eating more homecooked foods and vegetables, but you can (and IMO should) do that without excluding these other foods. I do like that paleo stresses sourcing and eating the whole animal (although IME those aspects are often the least paid-attention to by those who do it, and again one can do them without giving up lentils and yogurt).
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There is a forum on here for low carb/paleo. I will try and see if there is a way to post the link. I find paleo easier to stick to when starting out. But, like mentioned above, it's not a diet. It needs to be your new normal. I allow myself some carbs from natural sources like fruits and veggies as they offer a health benefit. There isn't much to gain, if anything, from pasta, bread, rice etc. So for ME....those are easy sources of empty calories to cut. And I FEEL better eating this way. But yes, eating at a deficit is still required to lose weight.

Basic principles, if you can grow it or kill it, you can eat it. It's not quite that simple, but it is a pretty safe guideline to follow.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Whole30? It's an extension of Paleo but even stricter. It's well worth doing if you can cope with it as it's only for a month so not only do you lose some weight but you also learn what foods cause headaches, joint pain, bloating etc. It basically follows Paleo principles with a few extra rules thrown in.x

whole30, of course, wasn't designed as a weight loss diet, but sure.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Yes, this.

Typically, though, paleo means no grains (no bread or pasta, no rice, no corn, no oats, etc.), no legumes (this includes peanuts), and no dairy. Also no added sugar. It has nothing to do with macro balance--usually it's recommended to eat more carbs if you are more active and less if you are not, with sweet potatoes, potatoes, plantains, yuca, and other starchy veg not excluded being sources of carbs, as well as fruit.

I don't agree with the premises for excluding all of the things paleo does (or with W30). IMO, legumes, especially, but also whole grains and dairy, can really contribute to an overall healthy diet, and the premise that people didn't eat these foods until after the paleo period is wrong and wouldn't matter anyway.

I think some people find it a blueprint to improving their diets and eating more homecooked foods and vegetables, but you can (and IMO should) do that without excluding these other foods. I do like that paleo stresses sourcing and eating the whole animal (although IME those aspects are often the least paid-attention to by those who do it, and again one can do them without giving up lentils and yogurt).

I'm fine with W30 when it's done for the reason it was designed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Op, if you're interested in learning about paleo/primal, this group probably has info:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me get started learning what to eat and not eat on paleo, I need the strict version to lose weight.

Thanks
    Renee

why do you need to eat paleo to lose weight?
    there is no strict or loose version (unless of course you follow it loosely, then you're not really eating paleo though)

The basic principle of paleo is that if a food item wasn’t eaten thousands of years ago, pre-agriculture, DON'T EAT IT. That right there eliminates all processed foods, as well as grains, legumes and sugars. Dairy is debatable, though pure primal plans ban dairy.
    It encourages you to think natural. The more natural, the more close to the original source, the better. You also tend to reduce caloric intake, even without calorie counting.
    Eating according to the paleo lifestyle you can expect to eat high fiber, lots of healthy fats, fruits n vegetables, and drink lots of water. Meals tend to be very nutrient dense and filling.

I have followed a paleo-esq lifestyle for close to 2 years now. It's how my body functions best, but it is surely not one to jump into in order to lose weight.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options

I know Whole30 wasn't designed as weight loss diet, but you can lose weight on it quite well. The OP wanted a strict version of Paleo - Whole30 in my opinion is just that.
    It's also mind opening on learning what works with your body.. you can stick with it or follow a more loose Paleo approach after.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

I know Whole30 wasn't designed as weight loss diet, but you can lose weight on it quite well. The OP wanted a strict version of Paleo - Whole30 in my opinion is just that.
    It's also mind opening on learning what works with your body.. you can stick with it or follow a more loose Paleo approach after.

Or slowly lose your mind. :cry: I had friends that participated in Whole30, well one more successfully than the other. It is definitely very strict and a great way to learn how certain foods impact your body, the one friend found that she was gluten intolerant (I've seen the rashes after bread, she's not faking it). I couldn't do it because it cut out foods that would lead to bigger cravings. Cheese. I couldn't make it without cheese and ice cream.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I think it's a bit of a baptism by fire, but to each their own.
  • BelleCakes2018
    Options
    [
    Afura wrote: »

Or slowly lose your mind. :cry: I had friends that participated in Whole30, well one more successfully than the other. It is definitely very strict and a great way to learn how certain foods impact your body, the one friend found that she was gluten intolerant (I've seen the rashes after bread, she's not faking it). I couldn't do it because it cut out foods that would lead to bigger cravings. Cheese. I couldn't make it without cheese and ice cream.

I can see where you're coming from.. I found it more difficult than I expected but for reasons I also didn't expect.. Sugar cravings were technically gone (for what I used to eat) but I found myself eating fruit to excess.. it just started to taste so good! And I really struggled not being able to have dairy in my tea or coffee.. but it was a learning curve. I did learn what food gives me headaches bloating and joint pain, and what is fine for me (dairy! yay) and I did learn when my body was really hungry (not often) before Whole30 I really didn't have a clue so it was useful to me and I lost a small amount of weight in the process.. needless to say I'm following a more loose approach to my eating habits now though!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Thanks
    Renee

Why do you "need the strict version to lose weight"? Is this a way of eating that you want to continue for life?