Learning Paleo

Options
2»

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me get started learning what to eat and not eat on paleo, I need the strict version to lose weight.

Thanks
    Renee

Paleo won't help you lose weight. Being in a caloric deficit will help you lose weight.
  • M_on_the_run
    M_on_the_run Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Paleo will absolutely help you lose weight the post above is totally inaccurate. I am doing a modified paleo lifestyle and would love more people to talk to. Feel free to add me!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Paleo will absolutely help you lose weight the post above is totally inaccurate. I am doing a modified paleo lifestyle and would love more people to talk to. Feel free to add me!

really now....I know lots who gained on it.

being in a calorie deficit is for weight loss Paleo is a WOE and if not counting calories too very easy to gain on it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    Paleo and keto are not weight loss diets, they're a way of eating. You still need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

Yes, this.

Typically, though, paleo means no grains (no bread or pasta, no rice, no corn, no oats, etc.), no legumes (this includes peanuts), and no dairy. Also no added sugar. It has nothing to do with macro balance--usually it's recommended to eat more carbs if you are more active and less if you are not, with sweet potatoes, potatoes, plantains, yuca, and other starchy veg not excluded being sources of carbs, as well as fruit.

I don't agree with the premises for excluding all of the things paleo does (or with W30). IMO, legumes, especially, but also whole grains and dairy, can really contribute to an overall healthy diet, and the premise that people didn't eat these foods until after the paleo period is wrong and wouldn't matter anyway.

I think some people find it a blueprint to improving their diets and eating more homecooked foods and vegetables, but you can (and IMO should) do that without excluding these other foods. I do like that paleo stresses sourcing and eating the whole animal (although IME those aspects are often the least paid-attention to by those who do it, and again one can do them without giving up lentils and yogurt).

I'm fine with W30 when it's done for the reason it was designed.

I don't think it's the best approach for even that, but on the whole I agree.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Op, if you're interested in learning about paleo/primal, this group probably has info:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/37-primal-paleo-support-group

Thanks for linking the right group. I should have. I wish people would stop conflating paleo and low carb, as there's nothing inherently low carb about paleo. (I know a variety of crossfitters who do it and are not low carb.)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

You will lose weight on a paleo diet: As long as it creates a caloric deficit. That's the only reason.

I'm doing a high carb, lots of processed food diet, and lost 50lbs already, and am in maintenance now. So, is a high carb, lots of processed food diet the reason why, or was it the caloric deficit?
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options

You will lose weight on a paleo diet: As long as it creates a caloric deficit. That's the only reason.

I'm doing a high carb, lots of processed food diet, and lost 50lbs already, and am in maintenance now. So, is a high carb, lots of processed food diet the reason why, or was it the caloric deficit?

Lol - are you on every primal inspired thread to harp on about calories?!
  • dbmeyers23
    dbmeyers23 Posts: 39 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Some great points here! I've done some paleo challenges and I did lean out a bit and felt great..but I felt it was not sustainable and I didn't have the same performance in the gym because I was probably not eating enough fats. I saw some people mention that people don't lose weight because they eat too much...possibly, but from what seen people don't enough while on paleo simply because it takes prep work and can be expensive. This calorie deficit along with low carbs and low fats will slow the metabolism down...not to mention will effect energy levels in the gym. The bottom line on a paleo like diet..eat lots of meats, veggies, fats and good carbs then lift weights and get the heart rate up once in awhile . If you can maintain this type of lifestyle you will be in the best shape of your life...and I would do 21 days strict then adopt a 80/20 diet..allow yourselves some cheat meals to stay sane.