Is using an elliptical in a challenge cheating? (Also posted on the Fitbit community page)

Options

Replies

• 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    two things:
    As long as the steps are accurate (as in each time your leg goes from full forward to full back and back to full forward counts as two steps or less), then you're not cheating.

second, and only because you asked for opinions, you both need to get a grip. Six hours of physical activity to pull ahead of someone in a fitbit challenge? Blowing up a friendship because someone did something you don't like in a stupid pedometer challenge? Both sound crazy to me, but then I've been known to walk for an hour after midnight just because I ate too much in a day, which undoubtedly someone will say points to disordered thoughts and I need to put down and step away from the MFP.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    I have found that you get way more steps on the elliptical, hence the guy above who gets over 10,000 steps with an hour on the elliptical. I would say it is cheating.

I think it really depends on the machine. I have a mid quality machine in the $1500 range but it only counts about 90% of what I get in 30 minutes vs walking and that's with my step counter on my shoe. The only advantages I see with an elliptical is that it's A- indoors and B- your stride is consistent.

Other than that it sounds like the challenge rules were not clearly stated. No need for you to get upset but it sounds like you should look for a less angry friend.

I think it's because I have a fit bit one, and it is a clip so you get a lot more steps that way, I could see how a wristband one would get you less in that situation.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    The reason I get more steps walking/running than on the elliptical is because on the elliptical I focus more on resistance and incline versus steps per min. I am probably at 130-140 steps per minute on an elliptical. Running I am probably more like 180+. I also have a smoother walking stride than on an elliptical so maybe I am 10-20% faster.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Isn't the whole point of fitbit challenges to encourage people to get moving? If the elliptical is "cheating" but it gets your off your *kitten* and moving then I don't know what the problem is. Is there a prize to be won? Did you guys put money in a pot and whoever wins the challenge gets the pot? If that were the case I'd say maybe take it off during elliptical or switch to the treadmill or walking outdoors while on this challenge. If not and it's just bragging rights about who gets the most steps I'd say keep doing whatever you enjoy that gets you moving. For the record, I don't seem to record and overly high number of steps when I wear my charge HR on the elliptical.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If it's a fitbit challenge, no its not cheating! You do the steps regardless of how you get them, you've earned them!

I've done plenty of these challenges and almost burned myself out from my competitiveness...I try to not enter so many now. Who has the time to spend hours and hours walking/running etc ...and I get so darned hungry lol
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    If any cheating, you cheated yourself out of steps. My elliptical only counts every third step or so!
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    I have found that you get way more steps on the elliptical, hence the guy above who gets over 10,000 steps with an hour on the elliptical. I would say it is cheating.

Getting over 10000 steps in an hour is easy for me, 180 to 190 strides and hour to keep my heart rate over 80%, this using a hip based pedometer.

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    there is a girl at my gym who I think does these challenges. She wears her Flex on her shoe while she does the elliptical and stair stepper. I do think this is cheating because the flex will pick up loads more steps if work on the foot (I've tested mine out).

My experience is that if worn on the wrist, the elliptical will give fewer steps than walking. Running gives the most,

So long as it's not on your foot, I'd say it's not cheating. Stupid thing to blow up about.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    this person needs to take a giant chill pill - it's a friendly challenge. The point of which, last I checked is to help your fellow challenge members be more active.

It's not like you were entered in a race and you took a shortcut.

If they got so upset about a FitBit challenge that you are no longer friends, I say good riddance.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If it's a fitbit challenge, no its not cheating! You do the steps regardless of how you get them, you've earned them!

I've done plenty of these challenges and almost burned myself out from my competitiveness...I try to not enter so many now. Who has the time to spend hours and hours walking/running etc ...and I get so darned hungry lol

Same here, I was canceling appointments because I couldn't afford the sitting down time. These damn challenges were taking over my life. I don't enter them anymore..
  • ScubaSteve1962
    edited April 2016
    Options
    egxq5m3d7ef1.jpeg
    Here's a comparison of my activity monitor, and pedometer. This was 68 mins on the elliptical with out holding the handles.
    image.jpeg 1011.8K
  • jennycreative1
    jennycreative1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks for showing the comparison. So I see there are differences. But the whole takeaway is that it certainly wasn't worth blowing up a friendship over. LOL. I wasn't using the elliptical to "cheat", just exercise.

I appreciate all the feedback. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I would say that you're winning, because you look amazing.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    No more challenges with this person. It is cheating if it is specifically not allowed.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Thanks for showing the comparison. So I see there are differences. But the whole takeaway is that it certainly wasn't worth blowing up a friendship over. LOL. I wasn't using the elliptical to "cheat", just exercise.

I would argue though that those differences are with the same activity using different devices with different algorithms and not the same device but different activity. A totally different result could be obtained that may or may not be closer. Don't feel like you are cheating. Just do your thing.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    edited April 2016
    Options

I would argue though that those differences are with the same activity using different devices with different algorithms and not the same device but different activity. A totally different result could be obtained that may or may not be closer. Don't feel like you are cheating. Just do your thing.

I was showing how an arm based activity tracker misses steps. but if you want you use algorithms using the same device, I use a cadence sensor with my V800 and the steps per min is in sync with my pedometer, and the elliptical, (around 180 to 190 spm), over 11000 steps per hour a distance of 5.17 miles, while my activity monitor shows 4.04 by steps counted (8961 steps)
    sgjsia0dyhbw.jpg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Same here, I was canceling appointments because I couldn't afford the sitting down time. These damn challenges were taking over my life. I don't enter them anymore..

wow- that's weird.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

I was showing how an arm based activity tracker misses steps. but if you want you use algorithms using the same device, I use a cadence sensor with my V800 and the steps per min is in sync with my pedometer, and the elliptical, (around 180 to 190 spm), over 11000 steps per hour a distance of 5.17 miles, while my activity monitor shows 4.04 by steps counted (8961 steps)
    sgjsia0dyhbw.jpg

got it. So if you were in a step challenge you would be cheated versus the other way around.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    Options

sgjsia0dyhbw.jpg

got it. So if you were in a step challenge you would be cheated versus the other way around.

yea, I only do them to motivate others, so would't be like the OP friend. :-)
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options

sgjsia0dyhbw.jpg

yea, I only do them to motivate others, so would't be like the OP friend. :-)

totally understand. I do the same. I dont mind losing the steps. It helps knowing at least I burned more calories. Fight the right fight