Is using an elliptical in a challenge cheating? (Also posted on the Fitbit community page)

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    While I would think cheating is a strong word for a Fitbit challenge, I do think it's dishonest. They aren't steps. Should a person on a bicycle get steps for pedaling?
  • Purrstachio2cat
    Purrstachio2cat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Definitely a silly reason to wreck a friendship, which sounds like it wasn't worth keeping anyway, but the whole discussion makes me wonder about a related question. I don't use an elliptical, but a Bowflex Max Trainer which is sort of a cross between elliptical and stairclimber. My Microsoft Band does not count this as steps. It certainly records the calories burned (pretty accurately when compared with a chest strap or the hand grabs on the machine). That's what makes me wonder about how any of these gizmos treat exercise machines.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    While I would think cheating is a strong word for a Fitbit challenge, I do think it's dishonest. They aren't steps. Should a person on a bicycle get steps for pedaling?

Not at all dishonest.

Absolutely they should allow the steps for pedaling.

Unless everyone in the challenge stipulates, and agrees to steps only from walking, or any other activity, anything is fair game. It never even occurred to me that only certain steps would qualify. I have had a fit bit for over 3 years and have participated in a lot of these challenges and this is the first I have ever heard of this as being cheating. It is really bizarre to me that people think of this as cheating.

People need to get a grip, it is not the Olympics. I am glad that the friends that I participate with aren't that competitive.

BTW, I hope people realize that steps are not picked up 100% of the time by your fitbit.

• Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Would marching in place count? If it would why not a bicycle or elliptical? The motions in all seem too closely related to me for it to really matter.

ETA Your friend is a jerk honey, I'm sorry you were treated that way.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Would marching in place count? If it would why not a bicycle or elliptical? The motions in all seem too closely related to me for it to really matter.

ETA Your friend is a jerk honey, I'm sorry you were treated that way.

There are so many jokes about people taking a last walk around their bedroom before going to bed because someone just passed them (some people may not think it's a joke at all). It's fun, it's challenging. In actual fact, I got introduced to Leslie Samsone cause I wanted to find a more effective way to walk in place. :) Cheating is putting it in some kind of spin cycle or getting steps off activities that you clearly know don't burn the same calories that the fitbit is giving you. In that case, you are only cheating yourself.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options

If the purpose of the challenge is to motivate people to move more then you should get credit for them. And that is the purpose of most step challenges.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Not at all dishonest.

Unless everyone in the challenge stipulates, and agrees to steps only from walking, or any other activity, anything is fair game. It never even occurred to me that only certain steps would qualify. I have had a fit bit for over 3 years and have participated in a lot of these challenges and this is the first I have ever heard of this as being cheating. It is really bizarre to me that people think of this as cheating.

People need to get a grip, it is not the Olympics.

Agree to disagree. Steps means steps to me. Not glides. Not pedals.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Not at all dishonest.

don't know what elliptical you're use to seeing but the ones I use, you are diffidently not gliding.
  • snowflake930
    Options

Not at all dishonest.

Wow, I will have to go back to the fit bit site and see where it says "steps only" on the challenges. I am in one now that ends today.

• trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    And nobody is going to say anything about boxing? Just think how many steps you can earn on the speed bag, once you get good at it.

As for biking, 1) unless you wear it on your foot or ankle it won't pick up many steps, and 2) a good running cadence is over 150 (many say 180 is "ideal") however on a bike a good cadence is 80 - 100. In my experience bike cadence maxes out around 120, there is a limit to how fast you can spin your feet in a tight little circle. Per minute that is still below what one can earn running.

I don't know how running cadence compares to walking or elliptical cadence.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Not at all dishonest.

Wow, I will have to go back to the fit bit site and see where it says "steps only" on the challenges. I am in one now that ends today.

The Fitbit counts steps. It's right there on the app screen. It says "Steps". The OP said steps as well. Just because there are issues with step trackers counting things that aren't steps as steps, doesn't make it right to count them. She could just wave her arm around while sitting in a chair and get credit for steps as well... Has nothing to do with the rules of said challenge.
  • snowflake930
    Options

Not at all dishonest.

The Fitbit counts steps. It's right there on the app screen. It says "Steps". The OP said steps as well. Just because there are issues with step trackers counting things that aren't steps as steps, doesn't make it right to count them. She could just wave her arm around while sitting in a chair and get credit for steps as well... Has nothing to do with the rules of said challenge.

JW, assuming that you are correct, what is the point of having a fitbit or any other tracking device. For me, it is motivating me to move more, which it has truly accomplished.

BTW I have posed this question on one of the group forums that I am on. I will report back the findings.
  • mrspaws91
    mrspaws91 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would not say it is cheating. Steps are steps!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I am pretty active but have a group of friends on Fitbit that I am always at the bottom of the heap with with workday and weekend challenges. They work active jobs (I sit at a desk), log ridiculous mileage running (my running days are over), etc. I often wonder where they find the time and energy for it all, but more power to them! IMO the fact that someone thinks you are "cheating" at exercise says it all....good riddance to them.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Not at all dishonest.

JW, assuming that you are correct, what is the point of having a fitbit or any other tracking device. For me, it is motivating me to move more, which it has truly accomplished.

BTW I have posed this question on one of the group forums that I am on. I will report back the findings.

Mine motivates me as well. Counting things that aren't steps as steps doesn't motivate me even more, though.

• snowflake930
    Options

Not at all dishonest.

Mine motivates me as well. Counting things that aren't steps as steps doesn't motivate me even more, though.

Then do you take it off when you are not walking?

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    trswallow wrote: »
    And nobody is going to say anything about boxing? Just think how many steps you can earn on the speed bag, once you get good at it.

As for biking, 1) unless you wear it on your foot or ankle it won't pick up many steps, and 2) a good running cadence is over 150 (many say 180 is "ideal") however on a bike a good cadence is 80 - 100. In my experience bike cadence maxes out around 120, there is a limit to how fast you can spin your feet in a tight little circle. Per minute that is still below what one can earn running.

Don't fitbits also use a manually entered stride and a GPS to help calculate steps (in addition to actual vibrations)? In which case, if you've set it based on your walking stride, it's going to give you more steps when you are running than you actually do, right? Since once run step takes you farther that a walk step?

If they don't do that I don't understand why someone would pay $150 for something worth $20 (standard pedometer).
  • Hornsby
    Options

Not at all dishonest.

Then do you take it off when you are not walking?

I take it off when I cycle, yes. I don't take it off when I am lifting or driving but get some credit for those. I don't join challenges and am far past caring how many steps I get a day.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Don't fitbits also use a manually entered stride and a GPS to help calculate steps (in addition to actual vibrations)? In which case, if you've set it based on your walking stride, it's going to give you more steps when you are running than you actually do, right? Since once run step takes you farther that a walk step?

If they don't do that I don't understand why someone would pay $150 for something worth $20 (standard pedometer).

I use a "foot pod" that connects to the Garmin and makes it accurate when you wear it. Problem is, you have to attach it to your shoe so it is really only gonna be used during deliberate training.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

it doesnt give more steps walking versus running, it just changes the distance. Most dont use GPS.