Coffee a metabolism-killer?

Options
kr1stadee
kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
As I was browsing my daily websites, I came across an article named "Little Ways to be Happier and Healthier"

One of it's claims is that coffee before breakfast is a metabolism killer.
Just wondering what your thoughts were? (I have zero plans to give up my weekend coffee-before-breakfast routine)
Eat a little something before you caffeinate, okay? 'Caffeine before breakfast is a metabolism-killer,' says Haylie Pomroy, nutritionist to stars like Jennifer Lopez and Reese Witherspoon and author of The Fast Metabolism Diet. 'If you ingest coffee with no food on board, your body is more likely to lose muscle, instead of burning fat.'

http://lifestyle.ca.msn.com/living/inner-you/little-ways-to-feel-healthier-and-happier#image=3

Replies

• aliciamhosein
    Options
    interesting. Not sure if I believe it. I will have to research but if it turns out to be true I will start eating a small yogurt while I brew my morning joe just to be on the safe side
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I've always read just the opposite, that coffee increases the metabolism. I work out either fasted or have milk with my coffee so it's a non-issue for me.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that when told something, like to know WHY, hence why I get myself into strife on forums at times.

The same goes for this article, although it is a nutritionist to the stars stating this as fact, she doesn't actually say WHY coffee would be a metabolism killer etc etc etc.

I will take it with a pinch of salt - the article that is, not my coffee :laugh:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I allways have coffee first thing in the morning before any food.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I too have found this to be true. You need to wake your system UP before you introduce chemicals. I go by the rule 30 with in 30. 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking. It sets me up for my morning walk and then I come home and enjoy my coffee
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    I allways have coffee first thing in the morning before any food.

^this

I drink it on my way to the gym or work...It keeps me alert...for the safety of others on the road, I think I'll continue to do this. LoL
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Hey, if she's the nutritionist to the stars and has written a book it must be true........I'm convinced, no need for science here. /sarcasm
  • jamiesillimandunn
    jamiesillimandunn Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I would have to disagree also with the article, caffeine releases endorphins making you happier ! My sister was diagnosed with bipolar, and the dr. Even recommended her to drink a coffee a day to get the endorphins going ! On the other hand , ccaffiene is a hunger suppressant along with smoking, so if someone is drinking coffee several times a day they could be missing signals from their bodies that it's time to fuel with food . Moderation is key. I've cut way back on my coffee I take , just two cups in the am ...then water the rest of the day.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I don't believe anything from a Nutritionist who's trying to sell there own fad diet
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Hey, if she's the nutritionist to the stars and has written a book it must be true........I'm convinced, no need for science here. /sarcasm

lol yes!!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    For the safety of others, I drink coffee first thing in the morning, before anything else.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    no real nutritionist believes in 'diets' so that kind of shows off their credibility.
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm no nutritionist, but you have lost over 50lbs, so you must be doing something right!

I've recently given up a LOT of my unhealthy habits, but coffee is not, and never will be one of them!!!! She says sugar before food kills metabolism. Maybe it does. For me, I'm not human before I have my 16 ounce cup of Folgers with a tablespoon each of sugar and sugar free flavored creamer.

I looked at some reviews of her book on amazon. It sounds like a 28 day crash diet, with most days being WELL under 1000 calories a day. It's not meant to help people live healthier lives by making long term changes.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I read that article as well and I don't believe it. I know plenty of extremely thin and fit people who drink coffee first. A lot of people cant even eat before 10am, yet remain thin. If one little thing like drinking your coffee without food was a weight loss deal breaker surely I would toss my beloved cup a joe out the window but its not, so I am going to enjoy and savor my java instead, cheers!:drinker:
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    For the safety of others, I drink coffee first thing in the morning, before anything else.

Indeed!!!

Yeah, Ive never heard of coffee being a metabolism killer. The complete opposite actually. everything in moderation yeah, but having a cup of coffee in the am before breakfast isnt "killing" anything.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I lived for nearly a month on very little caffeine after recent surgery it just made me feel sick and I noticed NO change whatsoever in my weight loss.The only change was that I was horrible to live with as I was fairly unapproachable in the a.m. to say the least. I'm back on my black unsweetened coffee and harmony is restored. :smile:
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    Options
    My friend is a body builder and a trainer of pro athletes. He admonished me for drinking black coffee during my morning workouts. He said something along the lines of it releasing cortisol and stripping the body of other nutrients. I have stopped drinking coffee during my workouts (I get my caffeine from my preworkout sup) and now drink water instead, and I do feel better. I save my coffee drinking for the office after my morning workout.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I drink TONS of coffee and I don't believe it has hurt my metabolism. Even if it did have an effect, not sure I could give it up : )
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

^^^^^ Second that!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    My friend is a body builder and a trainer of pro athletes. He admonished me for drinking black coffee during my morning workouts. He said something along the lines of it releasing cortisol and stripping the body of other nutrients. I have stopped drinking coffee during my workouts (I get my caffeine from my preworkout sup) and now drink water instead, and I do feel better. I save my coffee drinking for the office after my morning workout.

What is it in the coffee that does that then? Did he tell you why caffeine in coffee does that and caffeine in your pre workout doesnt? Seems like broscience to me.

Original article as well.

This is the kind of crap that people (like myself in the past) focus on that truly doesn't matter and is a waste of time worrying about.