Coffee a metabolism-killer?

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I don't think anything is a metabolism killer, honestly.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Coffee a metabolism-killer

tumblr_lyabh0GQpK1r3z453o1_500.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I read both the positive and the negative reviews of the book on Amazon. Here's what the most helpful positive reviewer claims: "For example, if you can't give up your coffee, eat first. Coffee on an empty stomach is a metabolism killer because it pulls sugar from your muscles to balance hormones."

So it's not about coffee being a metabolism-killer in general, just the idea of having it on an empty stomach. I don't know if the statement above is true or not. It probably depends on how long you wait before you eat something. I do know that coffee is quite acidic and so drinking it on an empty stomach can make you feel lousy. I prefer to have my coffee after meals, but that's just me.:smile:

Bull.

Anything you consume takes 20 min to 20hrs to be absorbed. Caffeine bioavailabilty is relatively fast with peak bioavailabilty at about 2 hrs (as shown by blood sampling studies). In general, unbound sugars have a bioavailabilty that is quite higher with an initial peak at about 30 min.

<insert gif of food slurry in stomach>

Now, let's assume that wasn't true. What is this "sugar being pulled out of muscles"? Let's say its a bit of glucose and let's assume she's right for the sh!ts and giggles. Would that be the same glucose that is used by your brain when you sleep? Or that glucose that is used up during exercise? Hmmm, gotta stop sleeping and exercise, too. 'Cause hormones.

A study that says something: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/51/5/759.short

Caffeine does affect blood glucose levels - in diabetic rats and at levels of 50 g/ kg weight.

Another study, with science: http://imr.sagepub.com/content/40/6/2220.abstract

That's about 1/2 cup per kg. so I'd have to drink 40 cups of coffee (long term and be diabetic) to see an impact on blood glucose (according to that study).

Who known maybe that nutritionist isn't blathering and has a secret lab.

< insert gif of secret lab>

Time for coffee. I shouldn't read the forums in bed. They get my hormones all unbalanced.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I don't think anything is a metabolism killer, honestly.

Arsenic will kill your metabolism. Honestly.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I read both the positive and the negative reviews of the book on Amazon. Here's what the most helpful positive reviewer claims: "For example, if you can't give up your coffee, eat first. Coffee on an empty stomach is a metabolism killer because it pulls sugar from your muscles to balance hormones."

So it's not about coffee being a metabolism-killer in general, just the idea of having it on an empty stomach. I don't know if the statement above is true or not. It probably depends on how long you wait before you eat something. I do know that coffee is quite acidic and so drinking it on an empty stomach can make you feel lousy. I prefer to have my coffee after meals, but that's just me.:smile:

Bull.

Anything you consume takes 20 min to 20hrs to be absorbed. Caffeine bioavailabilty is relatively fast with peak bioavailabilty at about 2 hrs (as shown by blood sampling studies). In general, unbound sugars have a bioavailabilty that is quite higher with an initial peak at about 30 min.

Now, let's assume that wasn't true. What is this "sugar being pulled out of muscles"? Let's say its a bit of glucose and let's assume she's right for the sh!ts and giggles. Would that be the same glucose that is used by your brain when you sleep? Or that glucose that is used up during exercise? Hmmm, gotta stop sleeping and exercise, too. 'Cause hormones.

Caffeine does affect blood glucose levels - in diabetic rats and at levels of 50 g/ kg weight.

That's about 1/2 cup per kg. so I'd have to drink 40 cups of coffee (long term and be diabetic) to see an impact on blood glucose (according to that study).

Time for coffee. I shouldn't read the forums in bed. They get my hormones all unbalanced.

# applause
  • For the safety of others, I drink coffee first thing in the morning, before anything else.

^^^lol.. just choked on my coffee. This for sure!
  • ShengHuo
    ShengHuo Posts: 42
    Any difference it makes in metabolism is probably so small you have to be ingesting a bottle of caffeine pills to actually make a difference.

Generally I consider anything to be on a television spot, a blog, or a site regularly covering celebrity things to be hype. It seems that any nutritional research becomes about weight. And who knows what the actual study for that idea was? It very easily could have been one side observation in a laboratory experiment focusing on something else. There's a good chance it has never been actually seen in an actual intake, just cells reacting to something injected in them.

Essentially I don't believe anything until I see it published and find out what it exactly is. I'm sure many things are true, but there's way to much hype for me.
  • I have read her book. She says a lot of things that can be proven otherwise. For example, she says "don't fast before you go fast" meaning do not train fasted. I have seen the greatest results in my body when I train fasted. I get more done when I train fasted. The only thing I have while fasted IS coffee. It really depends on the person though, I suppose.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member

Bull.

I don't know, that Amazon reviewer sounds like they know more about this process than you. I think I will stick to Amazon reviews for my science, thank you very much.

Km5ou.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Bull.

# applause

kd6cs4.gif
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    I have consumed 6 cups daily for months-dropped 17 pounds---does slow metabolism mean weight loss--maybe I ought to drink more coffee? Seriously, its coffee--my metabolic rate is not determined on my one intake(caffeine)--but more likely by all intake, activity level, etc.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member

Bull.

Lol oh God I love you <3
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    That single cup of coffee I have first thing in the morning on an empty stomach must be the only thing holding me back from being the size of a pro level bodybuilder....damnit I knew it had to be something simple like coffee killing my goals:drinker: :mad: :sad:
  • pjp1125
    pjp1125 Posts: 313
    My friend is a body builder and a trainer of pro athletes. He admonished me for drinking black coffee during my morning workouts. He said something along the lines of it releasing cortisol and stripping the body of other nutrients. I have stopped drinking coffee during my workouts (I get my caffeine from my preworkout sup) and now drink water instead, and I do feel better. I save my coffee drinking for the office after my morning workout.

What is it in the coffee that does that then? Did he tell you why caffeine in coffee does that and caffeine in your pre workout doesnt? Seems like broscience to me.

Original article as well.

This is the kind of crap that people (like myself in the past) focus on that truly doesn't matter and is a waste of time worrying about.

I don't know the science, and quite frankly don't care. I do know how I feel, however. I am a huge coffee fan and will never give it up, but changing up when I drink it has been beneficial for me. Drinking cold water instead of hot coffee during my workout has been a good change- no more dry yuck-mouth. I always have done pre-workout sups (I like the Nitric Oxide buzz and the caffeine helps me avoid caffeine withdrawal).
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    NO! Just NO! :D
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member

Bull.

op5rvk.gif
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Opposite - Coffee (and the caffeine in it) boosts metabolism. I know that from a dietician I used to work with.

I guess anyone can put anything online/in a book these days...
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    As I was browsing my daily websites, I came across an article named "Little Ways to be Happier and Healthier"

One of it's claims is that coffee before breakfast is a metabolism killer.
    Just wondering what your thoughts were? (I have zero plans to give up my weekend coffee-before-breakfast routine)
    Eat a little something before you caffeinate, okay? 'Caffeine before breakfast is a metabolism-killer,' says Haylie Pomroy, nutritionist to stars like Jennifer Lopez and Reese Witherspoon and author of The Fast Metabolism Diet. 'If you ingest coffee with no food on board, your body is more likely to lose muscle, instead of burning fat.'

http://lifestyle.ca.msn.com/living/inner-you/little-ways-to-feel-healthier-and-happier#image=3

It would be wise to disregard this terrible advice.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    But what does Dr. Oz have to say about it?
  • TheLadyRaw
    TheLadyRaw Posts: 17
    I've only read that coffee actually enhances thermogenesis.. fat burning.

*shrug*