People who say, "I'm well" in response to, "How are you?"

Options
distinctlybeautiful
distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
I just want to say that it is also grammatically correct to say, "I'm good."

"Well" is an adverb that, in the sentence, "I am well," describes the verb "am." "Good" is an adjective that, in the sentence, "I am good," describes the subject/noun, "I."

I would, in fact, argue that the, "I'm good," response is more in line with the way we speak on a regular basis. An analogy explains this best. One wouldn't say, "I'm happily." One would say, "I'm happy."

Too bad I couldn't say all that to the person who just said to me, "I'm well." Hence this post. That's all.

Replies

• ravengal180
    ravengal180 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I say this. Never knew it would be grammatically bothersome to anyone. Interesting!
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I hate responding "well" to people who ask me how I am doing. It has been ingrained that it is the appropriate, well educated response that I feel a little stupid saying "good". It's annoying because saying well doesn't feel right coming out of my mouth! I kind of hate it!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    If the question is, "How are you doing?" Then I respond, "I'm doing well."

If the question is, "How are you?" Then I respond, "I'm good."

This is a common error that annoys me: "I'm doing good." Someone pointed out to me a few years ago that Webster's changed "good" to be both an adjective and an adverb. It pains me when the rules change to match common errors.

Here's a really bad grammar error I see when I shop: "10 Items or Less" It should say "10 Items or Fewer"
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options

This is a common error that annoys me: "I'm doing good." Someone pointed out to me a few years ago that Webster's changed "good" to be both an adjective and an adverb. It pains me when the rules change to match common errors.

Here's a really bad grammar error I see when I shop: "10 Items or Less" It should say "10 Items or Fewer"

Thank you. This is exactly what I was in the process of typing.
  • abreojay
    abreojay Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Haha what's the point? If they are both acceptable?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I just say groovy instead.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    You ever ask someone, "How are you?" and they just walk right by you and you're like, "Welp."
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

The thing is, our language is constantly evolving according to cultural use. Only dead languages never change. All of the "rules" we have for grammar originated as personal preference from whoever wrote that particular rule book, and that was greatly affected by how language was used at the time. It's the prescriptive vs. descriptive debate, I guess.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

The thing is, our language is constantly evolving according to cultural use. Only dead languages never change. All of the "rules" we have for grammar originated as personal preference from whoever wrote that particular rule book, and that was greatly affected by how language was used at the time. It's the prescriptive vs. descriptive debate, I guess.

Yes, I'm aware language changes. It still saddens me when the change is made to accommodate poor education rather than for improved understanding.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

Publix gets this right, believe it or not. .
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    The less vs fewer thing is something I notice OFTEN. I'll stop short of saying it bothers me, but I do notice it.

In major national advertisements they get this one wrong. you'd think a condition of being an editor at this level would be perfect grammar.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cows say "I'm wellington."
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I'm awesome! lol
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I'd rather someone say "I'm well" than "not well/ not good". Because let's face it, nobody actually cares how the other person is doing, it's just a polite thing to ask :lol:
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I find things like structural violence, war, poverty, and genocide more annoying, but the good/well debate is also a big cause for concern.

No, no. I know. It's always awkward! I try to avoid saying either and say "fine" or "fabulous" or "fan-freaking-tastic" instead.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    To add, to hear someone say; "What do you got", of "What ya' got" is like fingers on a blackboard to me. Every television show I watch seems to use that phrase to great excess. What happened to "have"?
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I love where this thread has gone!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Did you understand what they meant? That's really all that matters.

No one likes a pedant.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I find things like structural violence, war, poverty, and genocide more annoying, but the good/well debate is also a big cause for concern.

No, no. I know. It's always awkward! I try to avoid saying either and say "fine" or "fabulous" or "fan-freaking-tastic" instead.

Better hope OP never asks how you are. You might cause them a heart attack.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    Cows say "I'm wellington."

hahahaha I kind of hate that I laughed so hard at this. *giggles*