Meal replacement shakes?

Options
sexymom04
sexymom04 Posts: 263 Member
I started a weight training program and I am doing a meal replacement shake in the morning and one for lunch or either supper. Are these good while weight training?

Replies

• ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Why not eat your meals and just keep them with in your calorie goal?
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    That sounds horrible when you are lifting.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    I'm thinking it's bad also
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It depends on what's in them, but they are most likely inferior to the meals you are replacing them with.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I guess they're as good as any packaged meal for making it easy to track calories. But if you have any alternative to prep or buy actual food, go that way. Shakes are good for getting a quick protein boost, but I wouldn't use them to replace meals.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    It depends on what's in them, but they are most likely inferior to the meals you are replacing them with.

Could be but replacing 2 meals with shakes is never a good idea.....well in my opinion :)
  • directordean
    directordean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As the commercial says, "A delicious shake for breakfast, another shake for lunch, and you'll have the shakes until dinner." I have used these lately for breakfast, but I can't imagine doing my exercise routines after two of them. I just figure out the calories for other items I make myself, and repeat the same things for lunches.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement drinks are not formulated to support a vigorous exercise program. They do have their place and their value, but fueling your workout isn't it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In general I'm not a fan of meal replacement shakes with the exception of the occasional super busy day scenario....

If you're weight training you need to be getting enough calories and, just as importantly, enough protein. (using a protein shake as a post workout tool is a different matter as long as it fits in your calories)
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I personally would turn into a beast and probably chew someones head off if I only had shakes during the day AND was doing weight training (weight training turns my appetite on full throttle)

I would definitely not recommend it, from my experience.
  • sexymom04
    Options
    I had an omelette for lunch instead of a shake :)