I lose weight when I do exercise not by restricting calories, Why is it so?

Options
SW: 280 lb
CW: 235 lb
GW: 190 lb

BMR: 2200 calories/Day

When I create deficit only by restricting calories (no exercise) i don't lose weight. 1500-1800 calories/Day
Consider my TDEE 2600-2800.
This is how I create deficit of 800-1000 Calories/Day.
So i should be losing 2 pounds/Week. 1000*7=7000 Calories (Deficit)
Don't say I am not logging accurately. I always log 100 to 200 more calories than I eat. I scan my food i weigh my food so no dispute over this.

When I eat 1500 calories/Day and Burn calories around 1500 by walking 10-12 Miles I see results tremendously. I miss those days when I was walking 12+ miles daily and i was seeing results and this is How I lost my weight.

I lost 45 Pounds and I'm happy but now I have not much time to do exercise so restricting calories is only option.

I will be back to exercise after a month. But curious why i don't lose weight by creating deficit.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Since I cannot comment on your logging I'm going to say it's magic.

:laugh:
  • simontossrwanda
    simontossrwanda Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you don't exercise and don't eat much then your body goes into starvation mode, it then keeps as much of the food that you do eat as possible. It also depends on the type of food you are eating. The calories may be low but if the fat content is high then you wont lose weight.
  • JemPuddleduck
    JemPuddleduck Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated your BMR as you have lost weight?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are accurate and you are sure that your logging is accurate, then you are losing weight on a deficit. Obviously, with exercise your deficit will be higher, so faster weight loss. I know that it takes me longer than a month if I do no exercise at all to lose a single pound, so I walk on my treadmill as much as I can.

Patience is key. It works, it just works slower the smaller deficit you have. Your TDEE will be lower if you're not moving as much.
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you don't exercise and don't eat much then your body goes into starvation mode, it then keeps as much of the food that you do eat as possible. It also depends on the type of food you are eating. The calories may be low but if the fat content is high then you wont lose weight.

The calories may be low but if the fat content is high then you wont lose weight

Wow this is new thing I've ever heard, so CICO is not to be consider in weight loss transformation.
  • AamirKhan2016
    Options
    Have you recalculated your BMR as you have lost weight?

yeah. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bmr_calculator.htm
    2246 calores/Day
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Um, no and no to this.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

When I create deficit only by restricting calories (no exercise) i don't lose weight. 1500-1800 calories/Day
    Don't say I am not logging accurately. I always log 100 to 200 more calories than I eat. I scan my food i weigh my food so no dispute over this.

When I eat 1500 calories/Day and Burn calories around 1500 by walking 10-12 Miles I see results tremendously. I miss those days when I was walking 12+ miles daily and i was seeing results and this is How I lost my weight.

I lost 45 Pounds and I'm happy but now I have not much time to do exercise so restricting calories is only option.

I will be back to exercise after a month. But curious why i don't lose weight by creating deficit.

There is a reason, or an answer to your question we just need to pick a apart your method to come up with the answer.

The points highlighted in your post? Do you eat 1500 or 1800 calories a day and do you log 100 - 200 calories before or after the 1500 - 1800 you log a day.

How do you know how many calories you burn, where are you getting the calorie burn from?

PLease open your diary... need this piece of info too to work though what you say is no calorie deficit at all through food.

I want to run your stats (age, weight, and height) through another calculator. I also want to say if you eat 1500 calories a day the exercise is not keeping you in a deficit, but the 1500 min calories is, but I need to know exactly what you are logging.. is it 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800 a day, and logging more 100 - 200 than you eat before or after or is included in these numbers..

• AamirKhan2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

There is a reason, or an answer to your question we just need to pick a apart your method to come up with the answer.

The points highlighted in your post? Do you eat 1500 or 1800 calories a day and do you log 100 - 200 calories before or after the 1500 - 1800 you log a day.

How do you know how many calories you burn, where are you getting the calorie burn from?

PLease open your diary... need this piece of info too to work though what you say is no calorie deficit at all through food.

I want to run your stats (age, weight, and height) through another calculator. I also want to say if you eat 1500 calories a day the exercise is not keeping you in a deficit, but the 1500 min calories is, but I need to know exactly what you are logging.. is it 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800 a day, and logging more 100 - 200 than you eat before or after or is included in these numbers..

I eat between 1500 to 1800 calories. Some day 1500, 1600 or 1800
    I add 100 or 200 calories more to my actual calories intake. Suppose today i ate 1500 calories i will add some extra food (which I don't eat) to my total calories Intake. I do this to satisfy myself that I am going in right direction.

I use mapmywalk app and I also MFP steps counter (iPhone 5s motion sensor).
    My stats in both apps (mapmywalk and MFP)
    Weight: 235 lb
    Height: 5'10

I use mapmywalk to check the calories i burn by walking. Day before yesterday I walked 15+ miles and mapmywalk says you burned 2635 calories. This is how i track calories I burned.

One more thing which i think is important: in my diet wheat flour is main part I eat Roti (200 gm of wheat) in lunch and dinner with vegetables,chicken and meat daily, but I weigh this food and still i am below 1800 calories. Sometimes i think because of this food I am not losing weight. As i said with this food i eat below my calories intake goal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

I eat between 1500 to 1800 calories. Some day 1500, 1600 or 1800
    I add 100 or 200 calories more to my actual calories intake. Suppose today i ate 1500 calories i will add some extra food (which I don't eat) to my total calories Intake. I do this to satisfy myself that I am going in right direction.

I use mapmywalk app and I also MFP steps counter (iPhone 5s motion sensor).
    My stats in both apps (mapmywalk and MFP)
    Weight: 235 lb
    Height: 5'10

I use mapmywalk to check the calories i burn by walking. Day before yesterday I walked 15+ miles and mapmywalk says you burned 2635 calories. This is how i track calories I burned.

One more thing which i think is important: in my diet wheat flour is main part I eat Roti (200 gm of wheat) in lunch and dinner with vegetables,chicken and meat daily, but I weigh this food and still i am below 1800 calories. Sometimes i think because of this food I am not losing weight. As i said with this food i eat below my calories intake goal.

No, if you're in a calorie deficit you will lose weight -- even if you are eating wheat. I ate wheat regularly when I was losing weight, so did many people here. If you aren't losing weight, it's because you aren't in a calorie deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Dieters don't actually stop losing weight due to "starvation mode": http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

And fat is not the enemy. The dubious science behind the anti-fat crusade
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

But, do you choose the correct entries? Just because a food is scanned, does not guarantee that the information is accurate. Do you confirm your scanned entries with the packaging, and do you weigh all your foods including fruits, vegetables, raw meats, uncooked pasta/rice, condiments in grams? Do you measure oils used in cooking? Please open your diary, as not every entry in the database is accurate.

Also, how much sodium are you consuming?

• KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    In general, men tend to lose more weight from exercising and women tend to lose more weight with diet. What you are saying actually makes total sense to me. Your hormones make it easier to build muscle which in turn is going to make it easier to burn fat which is why you are seeing more progress with exercising. Maybe for right now since you can't work out focus on maintaining and once you start working out again you can get back to losing.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are really idle when not exercising, more than most people, so your body doesn't burn as much as you expect, or not sleeping enough unless you take exercise? Who cares? It's much healthier to eat a little more and exercise, and that's working for you, that's great. Do that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    In general, men tend to lose more weight from exercising and women tend to lose more weight with diet. What you are saying actually makes total sense to me. Your hormones make it easier to build muscle which in turn is going to make it easier to burn fat which is why you are seeing more progress with exercising. Maybe for right now since you can't work out focus on maintaining and once you start working out again you can get back to losing.

not so much..regardless of gender weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit and exercise is not required for weight loss.