crazyravr wrote: »
    Ditto for zoodles, its not spaghetti.

Zoodles are pasta.

haloh2pzj2i3.jpg

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @Tacklewasher well played, well played.... but you know what I mean :)

Actually, before I joined MFP, I had no idea that there was another kind of zoodles.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    This may not be what you're looking for at all but I made it with zuchinni in place of the noodles and it was amazing. The pasta can really jack up the calories alot. I used a lower fat mozzarella and if you used ground turkey you could cut a bit more there. I still used some parm and I use a cheese here called quark in place of the ricotta just cause I prefer the taste. Good luck.

Ok. Anytime, and I do mean anytime, we substitute veggies for pasta, its not the same dish. So what you are making is a veggie casserole. Not lasagna. Ditto for zoodles, its not spaghetti. It will never be the same.

Actually it was just like lasagna and we all enjoyed it immensly. Not everyone is going to feel the same. But that's what makes us all individuals. ;)
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Just use your favorite recipe, and use reduced fat ground beef (and/or Italian sausage), reduced fat ricotta, and reduced fat mozzarella. Read labels on your sauce ingredients, and choose one that has lower calories. If you make your own sauce, use stevia instead of sugar and watch the added fat. If you sautee your vegetables, do it in a no-stick pan with olive oil spray. You should be able to shave two or three hundred calories off a serving of your favorite recipe that way. You can also choose whole wheat pasta to increase the fiber, or protein pasta to increase the protein if you'd like. The recipes I've used for lasagna are from Evelyn Tribole's "Healthy Homestyle Cooking" and "More Healthy Homestyle Cooking". She does a great job of tweaking home cooking recipes and comfort food to make them "leaner".
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    This may not be what you're looking for at all but I made it with zuchinni in place of the noodles and it was amazing. The pasta can really jack up the calories alot. I used a lower fat mozzarella and if you used ground turkey you could cut a bit more there. I still used some parm and I use a cheese here called quark in place of the ricotta just cause I prefer the taste. Good luck.

Ok. Anytime, and I do mean anytime, we substitute veggies for pasta, its not the same dish. So what you are making is a veggie casserole. Not lasagna. Ditto for zoodles, its not spaghetti. It will never be the same.

I tend to agree. I consider the pasta essential to a pasta dish ;)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Well, that is what makes for diversity. For you, lasagna is a well rounded food choice. For me, not so much. I am trying to move toward fresh fruit and vegetables, fish and other lean proteins. And, logging the high calorie consequences of food choices train me to do just that.

So just curious... would you consider the recipe I posted above to be a bad food choice?

Did I say "bad"? Don't recall that. I thought I said "poor."

Oh, OK.

"So just curious... would you consider the recipe I posted above to be a bad poor food choice?"

:)

I suppose you are referring to the rotini recipe you posted that you said was not lasagna, right? What gave you the idea I was critiquing a skillet dish of rotini? Did I quote that above? I don't think I did. Seems like you are looking for a fight. You won't find it here. You mis-characterizing my comments doesn't matter at all to me. I like rotini. Great with a tablespoon of butter, garlic, and shrimp cooked from frozen raw. But, I don't see cottage cheese as a culinary improvement to anything heated in a skillet.

It's the same foods -- pasta, meat, sauce, cheese -- just mixed up differently. I have no idea why someone who has to give up lasagna forever could continue to eat all the components of lasagna just arranged differently. Is it just the word that is the problem?

Did you even read the thread in post order? Jeez, you lasagna people are like some kind of cult.

This was my post:
    A big pan of homemade lasagna with ricotta and pasta and ground meat is just one of those things a person with a weight problem needs to let go of. For my part, making it with cottage cheese or cauliflower or turkey just makes it worse. How about a jumbo shrimp cocktail with crisp lettuce and cocktail sauce?

Do you really disagree with it?

Given that I've told you previously that I haven't had lasagna for several years, it's odd that you'd ask *me* if I'm reading your posts. I'm not a lasagna person, I'm just applying logic here.

Yes, I disagree that a person with a weight issue is required to "let go" of homemade lasagna. I disagreed when I responded to your initial post and you haven't yet typed anything since that justifies the comment. I understand why *you* no longer eat lasagna, I don't understand why you've concluded that nobody else with a weight problem should, especially since you aren't including a "skillet dish of rotini" on the ban list.

Ricotta, pasta, ground meat, these are just foods. Like any food, they can be consumed in appropriate portions by people who wish to do so. If you disagree, maybe you can try explaining why instead of just throwing around accusations of cult membership.

did I say "required?" I said "needs to let go." They need it, but are not "required" to do it. And, from the looks of this thread are not going to let it go and are not planning on better food choices (the thought of cottage cheese substituted for actual ricotta in a dish make me want to throw up).

Tell your favorite nutritionist that a good food choice for an obese person is a big ole pan of homemade lasagna with ricotta and pasta and ground meat, and they will think you are nuts. But, I have been flamed enough. Chow down on that big pan of lasagna, and I'll be making more sensible choices for myself.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Well, that is what makes for diversity. For you, lasagna is a well rounded food choice. For me, not so much. I am trying to move toward fresh fruit and vegetables, fish and other lean proteins. And, logging the high calorie consequences of food choices train me to do just that.

So just curious... would you consider the recipe I posted above to be a bad food choice?

Did I say "bad"? Don't recall that. I thought I said "poor."

Oh, OK.

"So just curious... would you consider the recipe I posted above to be a bad poor food choice?"

:)

I suppose you are referring to the rotini recipe you posted that you said was not lasagna, right? What gave you the idea I was critiquing a skillet dish of rotini? Did I quote that above? I don't think I did. Seems like you are looking for a fight. You won't find it here. You mis-characterizing my comments doesn't matter at all to me. I like rotini. Great with a tablespoon of butter, garlic, and shrimp cooked from frozen raw. But, I don't see cottage cheese as a culinary improvement to anything heated in a skillet.

It's the same foods -- pasta, meat, sauce, cheese -- just mixed up differently. I have no idea why someone who has to give up lasagna forever could continue to eat all the components of lasagna just arranged differently. Is it just the word that is the problem?

Did you even read the thread in post order? Jeez, you lasagna people are like some kind of cult.

This was my post:
    A big pan of homemade lasagna with ricotta and pasta and ground meat is just one of those things a person with a weight problem needs to let go of. For my part, making it with cottage cheese or cauliflower or turkey just makes it worse. How about a jumbo shrimp cocktail with crisp lettuce and cocktail sauce?

Do you really disagree with it?

Given that I've told you previously that I haven't had lasagna for several years, it's odd that you'd ask *me* if I'm reading your posts. I'm not a lasagna person, I'm just applying logic here.

Yes, I disagree that a person with a weight issue is required to "let go" of homemade lasagna. I disagreed when I responded to your initial post and you haven't yet typed anything since that justifies the comment. I understand why *you* no longer eat lasagna, I don't understand why you've concluded that nobody else with a weight problem should, especially since you aren't including a "skillet dish of rotini" on the ban list.

Ricotta, pasta, ground meat, these are just foods. Like any food, they can be consumed in appropriate portions by people who wish to do so. If you disagree, maybe you can try explaining why instead of just throwing around accusations of cult membership.

did I say "required?" I said "needs to let go." They need it, but are not "required" to do it. And, from the looks of this thread are not going to let it go and are not planning on better food choices (the thought of cottage cheese substituted for actual ricotta in a dish make me want to throw up).

Tell your favorite nutritionist that a good food choice for an obese person is a big ole pan of homemade lasagna with ricotta and pasta and ground meat, and they will think you are nuts. But, I have been flamed enough. Chow down on that big pan of lasagna, and I'll be making more sensible choices for myself.

Who said anything about a "big ole pan". It's a perfectly fine meal. Calorie dense, yes. Nutritionally dense, yes. Something that can be weighed and fit into a diet, yes. Did it, do it, and will do it again. No issues here.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Wg68jBC.gif?noredirect

Why didn't the Wookie get a medal???????

• Tacklewasher
    Options
    @Tacklewasher well played, well played.... but you know what I mean :)

Actually, before I joined MFP, I had no idea that there was another kind of zoodles.

Before today I had no idea there was this thing in the can lol

It's a Canadian thing apparently.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    TIL that everyone else thinks lasagna has to have meat.

My grandmother never made it that way, so neither do I. She always just made a pot of meatballs and some braciole on the side.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    @French_Peasant Aww, I feel like you've defended my culinary honor. Thanks for that :kissing:

I'm not offended if someone says cottage cheese in baked ziti (or lasagna) makes them barfy. It's rather amusing that something so simple has incited such a vehement reaction. Shrimp makes me barfy - bugs of the sea :lol: I like what I like. Incidentally, that recipe is the ONLY way I like cottage cheese.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Just eat regular lasagna and don't eat half the pan.

I don't have a 'regular' lasagna recipe that doesn't use Italian sausage and/or cottage cheese :( That's why I came here to ask, lol.

I believe the point is that the ingredients matter less than the portion size.

Don’t mess with my lasagna cheeses and meats! I’ll settle for a small piece of luscious ness.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

Actually it was just like lasagna and we all enjoyed it immensly. Not everyone is going to feel the same. But that's what makes us all individuals. ;)

I actually have done this, slicing the zucchini into very thin slabs, salting and removing the excess liquid. I don't care if it gets called lasagna, or casserole or whatever. For me, the filling is the star, don't care much for the pasta portion, so this allows me to eat a somewhat larger portion of the parts I truly enjoy, while also getting a vegetable I like.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, carrot, onion with the sauce, extra lean ground beef or I use turkey!
    I use low fat mozzarella and low fat cottage cheese and full fat ricotta cheese.
    I use whole grain noddles.
    Honestly it’s still fairly high calories but with the whole grain pasta and lots of veggies I think it’s super filling!