Carrying baby?

Options
Is there a way to track calories for walking while carrying a 20lb baby/toddler? I could have sworn there used to be an option for it, back when he was much younger, but now I cant find it. I tried searching "walking carrying", "walking infant" and "walking 20 lb" no luck.

I took a 30 minute walk with my kid on my hip (no child care) and my arms are burning so I know I got a bit of an extra work out

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about tracking calories burnt from activity or exercise. I set my calorie intake based on progress towards my fitness goals. For example, what I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Walking, carrying infant or 15-lb load
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    ^thats the one I used when he was younger, weird that it isnt coming up in my search now. Maybe I need to add a comma
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Why would you log this?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Why would you log this?

amen it is part of daily activity not something that should be counted as extra imo
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I just wouldn't log it. Then you may eat more calories then needed. Probably counts as your work ie sedentary, slightly active etc.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Why would you log this?

amen it is part of daily activity not something that should be counted as extra imo

I dont carry him for 30 minutes straight on a daily basis. He can walk and usually walks at home. I set out on my walk for the purpose of exercise and I had to carry him so he wouldnt run into the street. A 30 minute walk may not seem like much to you but to someone who is just getting back to exercising, this is my work out.
    I do not log the times when I briefly carry him here and there.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I just wouldn't log it. Then you may eat more calories then needed. Probably counts as your work ie sedentary, slightly active etc.

I get what youre saying. My job is pretty active (ER nurse) but I do not count calories from that because that is one my daily activities. I understand the arguments for not eating back exercise calories, however I have done it both ways and found I lost weight either way. Last time I used mfp (before I got pregnant) I ate back 100% of my exercise cals and still lost weight and hit my goal. I find for me personally, that eating at least some of them back gives me good motivation for exercise and works for me. If it ever stopped working, I would stop eating those calories back.
  • LazSommer
    Options

I get what youre saying. Mybjob is pretty active (ER nurse) but I do not count calories from that because that is one my daily activities. I understand the arguments for not eating back exercise calories, however I have done it both ways and found I lost weight either way. Last time I used mfp (before I got pregnant) I ate back 100% of my exercise cals and still lost weight and hit my goal. I find for me personally, that eating at least some of them back gives me good motivation for exercise and works for me. If it ever stopped working, I would stopneating those calories back.

"Last time" is something you see a lot on here. You can't view life as exercise. We exercise because our lives are sedentary, so we fill in the activity our body would normally do if couches and TV weren't a thing. It's not helpful in the long run to count a walk while carrying your child as exercise - what happened before the stroller was invented?
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    edited April 2016
    Options

I get what youre saying. Mybjob is pretty active (ER nurse) but I do not count calories from that because that is one my daily activities. I understand the arguments for not eating back exercise calories, however I have done it both ways and found I lost weight either way. Last time I used mfp (before I got pregnant) I ate back 100% of my exercise cals and still lost weight and hit my goal. I find for me personally, that eating at least some of them back gives me good motivation for exercise and works for me. If it ever stopped working, I would stopneating those calories back.

"Last time" is something you see a lot on here. You can't view life as exercise. We exercise because our lives are sedentary, so we fill in the activity our body would normally do if couches and TV weren't a thing. It's not helpful in the long run to count a walk while carrying your child as exercise - what happened before the stroller was invented?

Yes last time, because I had a baby and did not have a goal to lose weight but rather to gain, while I was pregnant. Mfp has an option for your daily activity level, which includes things like an active job, etc and then any exercise you do that isnt a regular thing is tracked on top of that. I dont understand what you are saying.

Edit to add ,I do understand what you're saying, but I dont understand why you would be so determined for me not to log my walks when it works for me to meet my goals.
  • CelesseBoo
    CelesseBoo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I have my toddler on my back I just count it as a normal walk or hike, same if she's in the pushchair. I don't think the difference between carrying them or not is all that big.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There was a thread like this before.....sorry I can't find it. but it basically said the extra calorie burn is minimal. Like under 50 extra calories burned minimal. I carry my 23 lb guy in a carrier a few times a week, but personally don't log it.
  • jessica22222
    Options
    You can log it if you want. I never logged anything like that with both my kids. If you're an er nurse and your activity level is set at highly active then you're already getting extra calories. It all depends on how your mfp is set up. If youre set at sedentary then I guess you could log more.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    CelesseBoo wrote: »
    When I have my toddler on my back I just count it as a normal walk or hike, same if she's in the pushchair. I don't think the difference between carrying them or not is all that big.

Youre right, once I found it, I realized there wasnt much of a calorie difference. I was just curious. At least I know my arms got a bit of strength training (ha)
  • LazSommer
    Options

Yes last time, because I had a baby and did not have a goal to lose weight but rather to gain, while I was pregnant. Mfp has an option for your daily activity level, which includes things like an active job, etc and then any exercise you do that isnt a regular thing is tracked on top of that. I dont understand what you are saying.

Edit to add ,I do understand what you're saying, but I dont understand why you would be so determined for me not to log my walks when it works for me to meet my goals.

Just see posts like this all the time where people try to squeeze in activities as exercise wherever they can to meet their goals. It's counterproductive - if you're logging exercise calories you really need to be honest with yourself - was it really enough to be "exercise"? I don't care what anyone else does in the end - it's your body, your journey. If you cheat you are only cheating yourself.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    You can log it if you want. I never logged anything like that with both my kids. If you're an er nurse and your activity level is set at highly active then you're already getting extra calories. It all depends on how your mfp is set up. If youre set at sedentary then I guess you could log more.

Mfp suggested that nursing be set at moderately active, I believe I have mine set at only lightly active since I only work 3 12 hour shifts a week and am usually sedentary at home.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Mfp suggested that nursing be set at moderately active, I believe I have mine set at only lightly active since I only work 3 12 hour shifts a week and am usually sedentary at home.

Nursing actually burns up to 500 calories. I would count that.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Wait, I meant breast feeding, lol.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options

Just see posts like this all the time where people try to squeeze in activities as exercise wherever they can to meet their goals. It's counterproductive - if you're logging exercise calories you really need to be honest with yourself - was it really enough to be "exercise"? I don't care what anyone else does in the end - it's your body, your journey. If you cheat you are only cheating yourself.

Well, it was exercise for me because I am out of shape. My heart rate was elevated, maybe that is kind of sad but hey, whatever we all start somewhere. I weigh myself daily and keep good accountability, I have no problem changing my habits if need be. But I lost almost all my baby weight doing it the way I do it with only seven more pounds to go. And thats with eating extra for breastfeeding, too. So. I do not think I am cheating myself. This is the first exercise I have logged in a long time.
  • jessica22222
    Options

Yes I added 500 calories for breastfeeding also.