Carrying baby?

Options
2»

Replies

• JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    You can log it if you want. I never logged anything like that with both my kids. If you're an er nurse and your activity level is set at highly active then you're already getting extra calories. It all depends on how your mfp is set up. If youre set at sedentary then I guess you could log more.

Mfp suggested that nursing be set at moderately active, I believe I have mine set at only lightly active since I only work 3 12 hour shifts a week and am usually sedentary at home.

Nursing actually burns up to 500 calories. I would count that.

Yes I added 500 calories for breastfeeding also.

Sorry, by nursing I meant my job, being a nurse. I do give myself extra for breastfeeding, but now that the babybis a year old and only breastfeeding twice a day I decreased it to 250 extra instead of 500 extra.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    OK lol! Confusion there :tongue:
  • jessica22222
    Options
    I just wouldn't log it. Then you may eat more calories then needed. Probably counts as your work ie sedentary, slightly active etc.

I get what youre saying. Mybjob is pretty active (ER nurse) but I do not count calories from that because that is one my daily activities. I understand the arguments for not eating back exercise calories, however I have done it both ways and found I lost weight either way. Last time I used mfp (before I got pregnant) I ate back 100% of my exercise cals and still lost weight and hit my goal. I find for me personally, that eating at least some of them back gives me good motivation for exercise and works for me. If it ever stopped working, I would stopneating those calories back.

"Last time" is something you see a lot on here. You can't view life as exercise. We exercise because our lives are sedentary, so we fill in the activity our body would normally do if couches and TV weren't a thing. It's not helpful in the long run to count a walk while carrying your child as exercise - what happened before the stroller was invented?

Yes last time, because I had a baby and did not have a goal to lose weight but rather to gain, while I was pregnant. Mfp has an option for your daily activity level, which includes things like an active job, etc and then any exercise you do that isnt a regular thing is tracked on top of that. I dont understand what you are saying.

Edit to add ,I do understand what you're saying, but I dont understand why you would be so determined for me not to log my walks when it works for me to meet my goals.

Just see posts like this all the time where people try to squeeze in activities as exercise wherever they can to meet their goals. It's counterproductive - if you're logging exercise calories you really need to be honest with yourself - was it really enough to be "exercise"? I don't care what anyone else does in the end - it's your body, your journey. If you cheat you are only cheating yourself.

Well, it was exercise for me because I am out of shape. My heart rate was elevated, maybe that is kind of sad but hey, whatever we all start somewhere. I weigh myself daily and keep good accountability, I have no problem changing my habits if need be. But I lost almost all my baby weight doing it the way I do it with only seven more pounds to go. And thats with eating extra for breastfeeding, too. So. I do not think I am cheating myself. This is the first exercise I have logged in a long time.

We'll I guess what some of us are getting at is logging it might not bring you success. Maybe start logging it and see if you are successful and if you're not then just stop logging it. Just have to play around with what works for you.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    I just wouldn't log it. Then you may eat more calories then needed. Probably counts as your work ie sedentary, slightly active etc.

I get what youre saying. Mybjob is pretty active (ER nurse) but I do not count calories from that because that is one my daily activities. I understand the arguments for not eating back exercise calories, however I have done it both ways and found I lost weight either way. Last time I used mfp (before I got pregnant) I ate back 100% of my exercise cals and still lost weight and hit my goal. I find for me personally, that eating at least some of them back gives me good motivation for exercise and works for me. If it ever stopped working, I would stopneating those calories back.

"Last time" is something you see a lot on here. You can't view life as exercise. We exercise because our lives are sedentary, so we fill in the activity our body would normally do if couches and TV weren't a thing. It's not helpful in the long run to count a walk while carrying your child as exercise - what happened before the stroller was invented?

Yes last time, because I had a baby and did not have a goal to lose weight but rather to gain, while I was pregnant. Mfp has an option for your daily activity level, which includes things like an active job, etc and then any exercise you do that isnt a regular thing is tracked on top of that. I dont understand what you are saying.

Edit to add ,I do understand what you're saying, but I dont understand why you would be so determined for me not to log my walks when it works for me to meet my goals.

Just see posts like this all the time where people try to squeeze in activities as exercise wherever they can to meet their goals. It's counterproductive - if you're logging exercise calories you really need to be honest with yourself - was it really enough to be "exercise"? I don't care what anyone else does in the end - it's your body, your journey. If you cheat you are only cheating yourself.

Well, it was exercise for me because I am out of shape. My heart rate was elevated, maybe that is kind of sad but hey, whatever we all start somewhere. I weigh myself daily and keep good accountability, I have no problem changing my habits if need be. But I lost almost all my baby weight doing it the way I do it with only seven more pounds to go. And thats with eating extra for breastfeeding, too. So. I do not think I am cheating myself. This is the first exercise I have logged in a long time.

We'll I guess what some of us are getting at is logging it might not bring you success. Maybe start logging it and see if you are successful and if you're not then just stop logging it. Just have to play around with what works for you.

I understand. I do appreciate the input. Sorry if I got a tad defensive, I am may be just a bit sensitive about how lame my workouts are because I am so out of shape.
    I should add, now that I only have a few pounds to go I am ok with losing at a slower rate and building muscle, since I didnt exercise much before I have gotten a bit "skinny fat" as they call it. So if my calorie intake does go up slightly and I lose a bit more slowly, I am okay with it.
  • jessica22222
    Options
    No prob. Have you tried the Jillian Michaels dvds? That was the best exercise for me with young kids at home because I could do it in my living room. When I started them I could barely get through them and was a sweaty hot mess. I've really felt a change in my fitness level from them and have added running and weight training in. Gotta start somewhere and I know how hard it is with little ones.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    No prob. Have you tried the Jillian Michaels dvds? That was the best exercise for me with young kids at home because I could do it in my living room. When I started them I could barely get through them and was a sweaty hot mess. I've really felt a change in my fitness level from them and have added running and weight training in. Gotta start somewhere and I know how hard it is with little ones.

I havent, Ill look into it. Thanks!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    There was a thread like this before.....sorry I can't find it. but it basically said the extra calorie burn is minimal. Like under 50 extra calories burned minimal. I carry my 23 lb guy in a carrier a few times a week, but personally don't log it.

I suspect that was a thread I started! I would add that I am training for a walking marathon and therefore both log my exercise and also add in the fact that it is hiking carrying a 70lb load (I have twin toddlers). It may not seem like a lot and an awful lot of people look down their noses at people who walk for exercise but my 5 hour hike yesterday certainly felt like good exercise! I actually burnt an extra 800 calories by carrying the 70lbs (I have an app set up which gives me my general steps for the day and calories burnt based on time, distance and weight. When hiking I also wear my Garmin Vivosmart which had a HR monitor. This shows me the difference on calorie burn caused by carrying the extra weight (and terrain to a certain extent).

It's really hard to find ways to exercise when you have little ones to take care of and can't afford/don't have access to a gym/crèche/nursery etc. Walking is a great start- good luck with it!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh man- three big babies in and Ive never logged carrying them.
    Its not purposeful exercise in my opinion- but thats why you have your log and I have mine.
    I walk for my exercise as well but wouldnt log any extra weight.

My left arm is still burning from this morning toting around my chunker. <3
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Its not purposeful exercise in my opinion- but thats why you have your log and I have mine.

Yeah, after finding the walking carrying load in the exercise database, I found that a 15-20 lb load didnt make a big difference calorie wise, although I am sure it worked the muscles in my arms. (Unlike the above poster who carries 70lbs, I'm sure that makes a bigger difference!)
    I did set out to walk for the purpose of exercise, I just had to bring him with me because husband wasnt home. So it was my purposeful exercise for the day. It wasnt just me going about running errands while carrying him, or something. But in the future I will probably just log it as walking since the calorie difference wasnt huge.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

Yeah, after finding the walking carrying load in the exercise database, I found that a 15-20 lb load didnt make a big difference calorie wise, although I am sure it worked the muscles in my arms. (Unlike the above poster who carries 70lbs, I'm sure that makes a bigger difference!)
    I did set out to walk for the purpose of exercise, I just had to bring him with me because husband wasnt home. So it was my purposeful exercise for the day. It wasnt just me going about running errands while carrying him, or something. But in the future I will probably just log it as walking since the calorie difference wasnt huge.

I see. Your poor arms! Get a Bjorn or something and use the extra weight but save the arms!
    Girl I absolutely know it makes a difference carrying weight while walking/hiking- I just dont know how much (really) as I dont wear a chest strap HRM, so I just dont log anything other than walking and just reap any extra benefits.

• jmgj27
    Options
    Defo get a good carrier to save your arms! My two are pretty average sized nearly two year olds and carrying them in just my arms for more than 10 minutes at a time kills me! I have an Ergobaby 360 and a Macpac for the back or when I'm hiking with two. I'd recommend either- also heard good things about the Bjorn.
  • jmgj27
    Options
    Oh, I'd also say- even 70lbs doesn't make that much of a difference over short flat walks. It's just that it really adds up if I'm doing a proper training hike of 3 hours + over rough terrain because it really ramps up my heart rate in a way that it doesn't if I'm just hiking with a small backpack.