Period binging

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Well it's a thing for me anyway. Last few days, not so great...

And I don't think that hunger from hormonal swings is the same as head hunger/desire to eat. You might have that too, but feels like physical hunger to me.

Many of us are looking forward to Lyle McDonald's upcoming book for women.
    Then there is the menstrual cycle, the variation in hormones which occurs every month which complicates the entire system. Many aspects of female physiology from appetite, whether they burn primarily carbohydrates or fats for energy, energy expenditure, even coordination can change at different parts of the cycle and ignoring this when describing diet or exercise programs is a mistake (3). Yet that’s exactly what most programs do.

Even there there is enormous variability in a woman’s response to their menstrual cycle with some women seeing profound shifts in everything from appetite to mood to exercise performance along with the tendency to have problems with their cycle and others seeing almost none. I’ve long said that “You are not different” but far more so than men, women are unique and delicate flowers.

Here are a couple of excerpts he has posted. There is a video interview around here somewhere too.

bodyrecomposition.com/announcements/women-training-and-fat-loss.html/

bodyrecomposition.com/womens-physiology/research-on-women-why-isnt-there-more.html/

Definitely not the same. I think the people who say it's a choice just haven't experienced it. I mean, I honestly can't remember experiencing it myself until last year (35) - or maybe I just never really realized it because I would just eat when hungry and didn't count calories anyway - so I suppose I can give them the benefit of the doubt for being so narrow minded...

Personally though, I've learned that when hormones are concerned, I'd NEVER judge anyone for what they could be experiencing. I never judged women who gained weight while pregnant (I can't even begin to imagine how awful it must be). Can't even imagine what people going through hormone therapy must feel like - heck I remember being pretty hungry when I did IVF already (and progesterone pills making me pass out - good times).

Bottom line - we all react differently to hormones. Just because someone doesn't experience something, doesn't mean it's not very real for others.

Ya, I remember lots of people being judgey when you were sharing your experience before you figured out what was going on and how to fix it. It was a medical issue that had nothing to do with you "not wanting it badly enough" so I'm sure the judgment wasn't helpful. I'm really glad you figured it out.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I just give my body what it wants. My body is trying to tell me that it's in need. I eat at maintenance those days, and if my body wants some chocolate or some steak, I just eat them. I know when my period is going to happen, and I can squeeze in extra exercise before and after to compensate. It's just two or three days. (I also have hell periods that leave me curled up on the floor in agony... it's not worth it to me to fight to try to lose an extra 1/4 pound those days. I'd rather care for my entire body as best I can.

Now, this doesn't mean that I scarf an entire Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Truffle Bar! It means I have a couple squares of chocolate bar, or have a hot chocolate. Nor do I eat an entire 12 ounce steak- I eat 4 or 6 oz of steak. :) The real downfall for me is pizza... once I start craving that pepperoni with extra cheese, I pretty much have to hide my phone to keep from calling for takeout! :D
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I read some time ago that this is a time when you can lose extra weight if you don't give into the urges to overeat. Not sure if it's true, but worth a try?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I read some time ago that this is a time when you can lose extra weight if you don't give into the urges to overeat. Not sure if it's true, but worth a try?

Yeah it's possible that your body burns more calories during that time... which would make sense considering what happens to it, lol.
  • kshama2001
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Think the issue is probably more your tone rather than content.

Just a guess.

how can you "read" tone. I am not speaking I am typing...no tone including in font unless I missed the memo that normal font indicates tone...I thought I had to use "italics"

Based on this thread I see that misogyny is alive and well...god forbid a woman doesn't just agree with other women...gives another option/opinion....nicely done ladies...nicely done.

If I was a lesser woman I would be devastated...*roll eyes*

So now you're calling women who don't agree with you misogynists...other than terminology, how is that different from what you're complaining about?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »

When I eat at maintenance for a few days around my period, I do have a weight loss whoosh 7 days after it begins.

My appetite spikes up premenstrually and I add an extra snack and a larger meal or treat, which is all I need. (Not speaking for other women.) If I were to use that appetite spike as an excuse to #eatallthethings, as I have done in the past, I wouldn't have that weight loss whoosh. (This is not meant to apply to women whose appetite spikes dramatically due to medical issues that I do not experience.)
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I make sure to fit some chocolate into my diet, that helps with other cravings some how.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Think the issue is probably more your tone rather than content.

Just a guess.

how can you "read" tone. I am not speaking I am typing...no tone including in font unless I missed the memo that normal font indicates tone...I thought I had to use "italics"

Based on this thread I see that misogyny is alive and well...god forbid a woman doesn't just agree with other women...gives another option/opinion....nicely done ladies...nicely done.

If I was a lesser woman I would be devastated...*roll eyes*

So now you're calling women who don't agree with you misogynists...other than terminology, how is that different from what you're complaining about?

the women who called me misogynist names are the ones or painted me with the brush of being judgemental because my opinion differs from theirs or those who assumed tone or those who assumed "she must be having her period" or those who "assume" I just don't get it because of how I deal with it... is who I am referring to...not those who are disagreeing with me...have at....debate is often healthy and brings out options for those people with the issues to try...

Interesting...because I didn't care for your tone either, I missed that comments directed against you were indeed misogynistic. So now I learned something about myself.
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I find it amusing people assume I don't get cravings based on my cycle...interesting.

I get cravings noted it in my last reply. However I know that giving in to cravings to the point of overeating I will feel worse the next day and understand the difference between appetite and hunger.

I ate chips last night but didn't go over...satisfied the craving and my appetite.

and I find it amusing that I am called names, attacked and told I am mean because I have a different opinion on how to deal with it...smh.

oh well you ladies go and eat all the food you want during your cycle...I will continue on my way keep this 55lbs off and still eating all the foods I want but just in reasonable portions.

Again... you have no idea what other women experience. Sure I have the regular cravings that test my willpower but are not horrible (I mean, I DID lose 80 pounds and been maintaining for 2 years after all), and yeah, I might have a couple extra cookies when that happens. But before I figured out the problem, most of my 'cravings' left me weak, dizzy, and shaking. Do you REALLY think that it's as easy as deciding not to eat when that happens? it's not mental... it's PHYSICAL. Would you tell a diabetic having a low sugar episode not to eat? Seriously I'm shaking my head there...

So, again... extremely judgy about something that you clearly don't understand. I mean, sure, most women probably don't experience such issues, but some do, and I give them the benefit of the doubt instead of getting on a high horse about how I'm so much better at dieting than them...

being a diabetic and having your period are different...please.

My brother is a diabetic and if he didn't eat he would die...we won't...and no where did I say "don't eat" I said don't over eat just because "increased appetite"...wow...

ETA: again assuming things not written...no where did I say I was better at "dieting" than anyone else...

You are coming across as if you think you are better at dieting. Perhaps it would behoove you to find a way to express the same information in such a way that doesn't provoke such a strong negative reaction. You may want to be helpful, but your delivery is causing communication to fail.
  • Mapla
    Mapla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have recently stopped my contraceptive patch after 15 years and Ive never felt hunger like it! So I feel you! :) Like some others have said, try eating at a maintenance level for a day or two n see if that helps. Im going to take this advice too :) good luck! X x x
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had bad endometriosis and fibroids. I used to eat everything in sight like a vacuum, so I totally get the cravings. I had a hysterectomy a few years ago, and things have gotten much better. But, I still do get cravings. What works for me is keeping some individually wrapped chocolate (like Dove) and a small bag of potato chips stashed in the back of the closet. I don't see them everyday so it's not horribly tempting. I usually forget it's even there. But if those craving hits, I take a chip and a piece of chocolate and eat them together. The sweet and salty in the same mouthful is usually enough to satisfy me. I know this may not work for everyone, but I hope it's helpful for you!
  • kshama2001
    edited May 2016
    Options
    AlyM725 wrote: »
    I had bad endometriosis and fibroids. I used to eat everything in sight like a vacuum, so I totally get the cravings. I had a hysterectomy a few years ago, and things have gotten much better. But, I still do get cravings. What works for me is keeping some individually wrapped chocolate (like Dove) and a small bag of potato chips stashed in the back of the closet. I don't see them everyday so it's not horribly tempting. I usually forget it's even there. But if those craving hits, I take a chip and a piece of chocolate and eat them together. The sweet and salty in the same mouthful is usually enough to satisfy me. I know this may not work for everyone, but I hope it's helpful for you!

I couldn't stop at one chip but this combo sounds DIVINE! Am off to my garden center to get a mini Dove. And straw.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I eat at maintenance during those couple of days. Its better than slapping those around me.

^^^^^^ THIS
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 10,049 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi folks,

I've cleaned up this topic. Just a guideline reminder going forward with this topic:

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.

b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

Best,
    Nova
    MFP Staff
  • niciabrighteyes
    niciabrighteyes Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I literally lay in bed, devour 4 boxes of fruit snacks while weeping to Biggest Loser makeover week. Its so obnoxious. But I don't let it get me down, its a temporary situation.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I have that issue, too. I basically want to eat everything in the house that isn't nailed down in the week before my ToM. During that week, I've just started eating at maintenance. I'm in no huge hurry to lose the weight, so a week a month isn't a big deal for me. I'm close to my goal, anyway. :smile:
    I'd also recommend trying that. It gives you a little more breathing room and comfort during that week, and maybe would help with the urge to binge.
    I have read in a few places that taking magnesium supplements, or eating foods rich in magnesium, around the time of your period may help with certain cravings like chocolate. I plan to try that this time around. Have my dark leafy greens at the ready! :wink:
  • Sotixo
    Sotixo Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I get really bad salty cravings! Literally happened to me just recently and didn't know who to talk to about this. So glad I found this thread. I went through a multi pack of ready salted crisps and I feel like all my weeks weight loss from previous has come back on. Had a rough weekend but it's all about perseverance! It's comforting to know we aren't alone in this. Loving the replies ladies! Xx❤️
  • marytfitness
    marytfitness Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For bloating, try taking probiotics to help the bloating.

For cravings during ToM, I find drinking sweeter flavored tea helps. I've started drinking apple cinnamon tea which fights the cravings for binging a lot.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I just ate a cheeseburger at the brewpub. A whole cheeseburger. Sometimes, it has to happen. :)