Alcohol

Options
janabraswell
janabraswell Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
For those of you that have had weight loss/ fitness success.. Did you have to stop drinking completely??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I drank almost every night when I was losing weight. I just made sure I was logging the calories accurately.
  • JackieMarie1989jgw
    JackieMarie1989jgw Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Not at all! A glass of wine is only about 120 cal, I have one most nights and just fit it into my calories. You can have more than that, just focus on lower calorie drinks
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Nope I have beer, wine and margaritas while losing. Sadly I learned this weekend my margaritas came out to ~500 calories, so I will have to back those off a little :'(
  • kuftae
    kuftae Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have to stop drinking when i'm trying to lose weight because I'll go out once a week and have 7-8 beers, then pizza. That is enough to wipe out a whole week of clean eating and diet.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Nope. As @janejellyroll said you just have to log the calories accurately. I have found many to be incorrect so beware.
  • kuftae
    Options
    kuftae wrote: »
    I have to stop drinking when i'm trying to lose weight because I'll go out once a week and have 7-8 beers, then pizza. That is enough to wipe out a whole week of clean eating and diet.

If you are just having a glass of wine every other night then there's no reason to cut yourself off.
  • janabraswell
    Options
    You guys are awesome, love hearing what everyone does. And I don't want to give up my wine! Haha!
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of wine 2-3 times a week, and often have a couple of beers on the weekend, I just make sure to account for the calories and it's never been a problem for me. I did cut back on the margaritas though after realizing how calorie dense they are, now they are only an occasional treat.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I do pretty will with the drinks. Just watch out for those hungry attacks you get in a not so good decision making frame of mind. "A whole pizza? Sure. Why not?"
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have a few glasses of wine of a weekend. I love real ale, but it's basically bread in a glass/bottle. I think I maybe wheat intolerant. Since going keto I'm not bloated or suffer with IBS.
  • kuftae
    Options
    https://www.onnit.com/academy/alcohol-muscles/

Pretty good article I saw yesterday on this topic (though lacking sources in some areas)/ Conclusion: if you're not stepping on stage or training for an MMA fight you're probably good
  • janabraswell
    Options
    I have a few glasses of wine of a weekend. I love real ale, but it's basically bread in a glass/bottle. I think I maybe wheat intolerant. Since going keto I'm not bloated or suffer with IBS.

• janabraswell
    Options
    What is keto?
  • kuftae
    Options
    What is keto?

low carb, high fat
  • SpiderGwens
    SpiderGwens Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much stopped drinking. Sometimes if I have a few hundred extra calories and I don't feel like dessert, I will have a craft beer or a glass of red wine, but no more than that. I don't miss it at all, but I prefer the green method of unwinding, anyway.
  • mikejsheppard
    mikejsheppard Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking completely. Coming up on 3 months sober and to be honest rarely crave it anymore. First week or two without it in my routine took effort, but once "over that hump" it was easier. No one seems to care socially, or at least do a good job hiding it. Once I am done with this cut and start bulking I think I may give myself a glass of wine or two on my lowest calorie, lowest intensity day (yoga) once every week or two. Cardiologists say it is actually good for your heart in moderation! At least that's my excuse as I stand to jump off the wagon :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I never was much of a drinker, and 4 years on MFP I have had a few Bailey's and maybe 4 glasses of wine on holidays.
    I get much more satisfaction chewing my calories, and basically, just drink water and black coffee in the morning.
    If it fits into you calories, go for it. Nothing wrong with having an adult beverage if you are so inclined.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't drink very often to begin with so I didn't have to give it up (even when I was cutting - yay 16% body fat). I work it in when I want to drink.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Nope. I drink cocktails and wine.
  • LBgetsfit
    LBgetsfit Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    In my line of work, it goes without saying that I'll be drinking regularly with clients and staff. As painful as it is some nights, I log it as part of my daily intake. {And then usually up my workout the following day