Running with a phone - how do you do it?

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have several armbands and hate them all. After a while, they all chafe. It doesn't help that I keep changing my phones too and then the new one doesn't fit the old band. So....In the sports bra it is for me. You never want to touch my phone.

Luckily, I'm not that well endowed. My sports bras all have plenty of room.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Respect all you running purists who run sans-phone, but I can't imagine not having one for emergencies. I was reading online a guy who tumbled and broke his ankle while on a run. He had to limp a half mile back to the nearest house and go bother the guy to use his phone so he could call his wife and get a ride home. Imagine if it had been something more serious. I realize 30 years ago (kids these days...get off my lawn...) no one had cell phones to run with, just seems unnecessarily risky to me.
    Even before I had a smartphone or tracked my runs, I didn't feel safe running without a phone.

I also tend to get calls when I run for some reason. :neutral:
    Thank heavens for bluetooth headphones.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I use an amphipod belt. Works great. It's a little tight as far as the length of the zipper with the 6S+, but I can still fit a lip balm and a key as well as the phone and that's all I need.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I buy running leggings/shorts with a zip pocket

Please tell me where to find these. I have found one pair and they are the ugliest things on earth. I've searched far and wide, with no luck. Please tell me I can buy these in-store somewhere and not somewhere online where I'll have no idea if they fit or not!
    I buy running leggings/shorts with a zip pocket

Please tell me where to find these. I have found one pair and they are the ugliest things on earth. I've searched far and wide, with no luck. Please tell me I can buy these in-store somewhere and not somewhere online where I'll have no idea if they fit or not!

Lululemon.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    OK now I feel seriously weird. Not only do I not carry a phone on my runs, but I don't listen to anything while I'm running either. I do wear a Road ID though, and I kinda miss my old Garmin Forerunner 205 tracking my runs. Even though compared with today's Forenners, it was like wearing a house-brick on my wrist.

Oh, and I am definitely not a real runner. More of an uncoordinated shuffler.
  • fattothinmum
    fattothinmum Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use a soft run baby belt. Soft, adjustable and no zips. I worried at first, thinking items might fall out, but they don't. If you're extra worried, the openings can go skin side.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    OK now I feel seriously weird. Not only do I not carry a phone on my runs, but I don't listen to anything while I'm running either. I do wear a Road ID though, and I kinda miss my old Garmin Forerunner 205 tracking my runs. Even though compared with today's Forenners, it was like wearing a house-brick on my wrist.

Oh, and I am definitely not a real runner. More of an uncoordinated shuffler.

I don't know, your not using a phone gets you points in the running purist circles...but you are right, some people have minimum speeds for "real runner". Probably some complex algorithm between speed and non-music usage at play here. Perhaps you need to get into ultras for the right balance...
    Yup, I'm not a real runner either. I just enjoy listening to music on my phone while running, paying for stuff on my phone, and surfing the web and relaxing while I have some drinks after my monthly half marathon distance runs.

You buy stuff on your phone while running? :p I'm impressed! (and also a smarta$$, sorry)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'm not a real runner either. I just enjoy listening to music on my phone while running, paying for stuff on my phone, and surfing the web and relaxing while I have some drinks after my monthly half marathon distance runs.

You buy stuff on your phone while running? :p I'm impressed! (and also a smarta$$, sorry)

LOL, If I plan my run to end at Starbucks, then yeah so i don't have to wait in line :) Just a few clicks :)
  • willrun4pancakes
    willrun4pancakes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lululemon used to make a bra called "stuff your bra." I have a few in a size too small, and they work perfectly for phones etc. I usually carry mine and my husbands in there.
    This one is similar http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/bras-top-picks/Rack-Pack-Bra?cc=0001

I also buy sports bras with built in pockets, and it seems to work well. I could never get used to the armbands.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I used to be a bra stuffer- and that was fine for 3 miles or so- I bought a flip belt- but I think it bounces to much.
    I much prefer using an armband- I bought it at TJMaxx- it's cheap- but worked great.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

LOL, If I plan my run to end at Starbucks, then yeah so i don't have to wait in line :)Just a few clicks :)

Isn't there someone on here who plans her run so she can nip into the Pizza place to order a pizza before running another two miles and then collecting it?
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Flip belt
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I use a running belt.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    When I've had to run with a phone (rarely) I hold it in my hand-- it's in a leather "folio"
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've got this thing at the end of my right arm that's pretty handy. it's got 5 little arms, for lack of a better word, that I can bend into position that hold my phone really well. I have a similar one at the end of my left arm, but the one on my right arm just seems to work better.

I've had it for as long as I can remember, so I don't really know where you could go to get one.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

LOL, If I plan my run to end at Starbucks, then yeah so i don't have to wait in line :)Just a few clicks :)

Isn't there someone on here who plans her run so she can nip into the Pizza place to order a pizza before running another two miles and then collecting it?

That was me! But I only had to do that because I don't run with my phone. If I did I could have just called ahead.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »

That was me! But I only had to do that because I don't run with my phone. If I did I could have just called ahead.

LOL. Yup, after watching this ad recently I have to put myself in the not a real runner category - http://www.ispot.tv/ad/A6tn/kohls-fitness-and-real-life
  • Maurissa77
    Maurissa77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use a DIY armband. I got the idea from this video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=q-hT2Obsy_4 (min 1:00-2:00). They used a sock, but I decided to use an elbow support band because it's a tighter fit on my arm. Found it at the dollar store, and this idea works great!! My phone stays put!!

Yes!!!! I actually use my baby's 'baby legs' type socks for my phone. Works awesome.
    I had an armband for my previous smaller phone and it was so annoying to have to remove the cover so it would fit.
    This option is so much quicker and cheaper :))

I need to bring my phone because the running app and running music :)

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've always carried my phone....from the first step of C25k through every race and run I've had since then. May not make me a 'runner' to traditionalists, but it's what I'm used to. Plus I skip/change stations on Pandora (or switch back to my own playlists) to tuck the phone away for 30-120 minutes....
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I usually don't take my phone (I load music/podcasts onto an iPod shuffle and use a Garmin watch for GPS data), but if I do, I wear Oiselle distance shorts which can fit my iPhone 6 in the back. I usually put it in a ziplock bag (with cash and my ID and key, if I'm at an event or going to coffee afterward) to keep it from getting sweat-logged.