Running with a phone - how do you do it?

Options

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    For now, I've just been running with my phone in my hand. I have a little golf bag I sometimes take when I want to take a little more.

I also have something like this in case of rain.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye out for running tights with pockets that will fit your phone. Sportskirts running dresses have a cleavage pocket (ie down the middle from the neckline) that worked well with an older phone, but I haven't tried it with the iPhone 6 to see if that fits.
    Currently I tend to run in yoga pants with a pocket, though if I'm running faster I take the phone out and hold it in my hand as it can fall out (already smashed one screen!).

Other things I've tried:
    - Flipbelt - I found this really annoying, too thick chunky, and felt hot and sweaty.
    - SpiBelt - great when I first got it (older/smaller phone) but too small for iPhone 6, good for car keys, money etc,
    - arm band phone holder - OK once the phone is in there (though I have to take it out of the case first), but no good if I need to start out in a jacket then take it off during a run/race. And no room for car keys, so I still need a pocket or similar.

Overall - I like things with pockets, but they are hard to find.
  • april1779
    april1779 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of a flipbelt until I read this post. I've only started walking a few weeks ago and am now on week 2 of C25K, and since it's still cold here, I just put my phone in my pocket and it's been fine, but once it starts getting warmer I won't be needing a coat and sweater. Found something similar to the Flipbelt on Amazon on sale for $15 so I'll have it next week :)
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I usually hold my phone or I put it in my zipper pocket jacket when I wear one.
  • emyloucifer
    emyloucifer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Lululemon used to make a bra called "stuff your bra." I have a few in a size too small, and they work perfectly for phones etc. I usually carry mine and my husbands in there.
    This one is similar http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/bras-top-picks/Rack-Pack-Bra?cc=0001
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yep, just hold it
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Go to amazon and check out "TFY security hand strap" I love, love, love it!! Works for my Galaxy S5 and bought my running partner one for her iphone S6....
  • patena_b86
    patena_b86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually buy my running pants and shorts with a zip up pocket in the back located on the waist...I eliminated the cord by buying a Bluetooth set of earplugs
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I buy running leggings/shorts with a zip pocket
  • mzchoize
    mzchoize Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use something similar to a flip belt that I made myself! ;) I needed something snugger with a zip, to accommodate my big old Note-4, keys and id. I use Bluetooth earphones, to control my playlist thru my smartwatch if needed. Walking or jogging, I have to be hands free, with nothing bouncing around distracting me! :D
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    REVEST_1.png

Left side top pocket
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I have a small phone (iphone 5s) for a reason: it's small and fits into pockets and in my hand. Generally I hold the phone in my hand as I seem to have problems with keeping a consistent pace, or estimating pace for intervals.
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Fanny pack for me.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    DM01234 wrote: »
    Fanny pack for me.

:o:D:s
    Thanks for the head cinema.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't! I run too intensely - not necessarily FAST but up hills, on trails, paying attention to traffic. I want ZERO thought to be going into whether i am getting a call/text/email, to whether it will fall out or break, or the annoyance of it giggling around heavily on my arm or waist. I bring an i-pod nano for music which fits in my workout pants' back pocket, and wear my heart rate monitor which is on my wrist. the phone STAYS HOME!

Phew! I was getting worried I was the only one who didn't carry a phone.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    A running belt.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I used to just carry it back when I had a small phone, but now I have a bigger phone I use a SPIbelt. Before that I used to have an arm holder that did up with velcro, but it never really felt comfy. A running friend recently introduced me to the SPIbelt and I hardly notice I'm wearing it (I've tried other running belts but never really found them comfy either).
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use an arm band. Researched my phone and found one the phone and case would fit in easily. My house and or gym key, bus pass (just in case if I'm running outside and on my own), money of some variety, and ID (also just in case if outside and on my own) fit easily inside as well.

Once the phone is turned on I slip it in and generally leave alone, it's not too difficult to slip in and out if needed but I rarely have a need unless I've stopped. My app tells my pace and distance at regular intervals. And I also use a wireless Bluetooth headset that controls volume, and answers calls if required. I can also just toss a microsd into the headset itself for music if I don't want the phone.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Love my flip belt! And, now they have water bottles that fit with them too. I haven't bought one yet, but will this summer.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I used to just carry it back when I had a small phone, but now I have a bigger phone I use a SPIbelt. Before that I used to have an arm holder that did up with velcro, but it never really felt comfy. A running friend recently introduced me to the SPIbelt and I hardly notice I'm wearing it (I've tried other running belts but never really found them comfy either).

+1 vote for the SPI belt. Everyone who has one raves about them (I do not have one, but it's on my "list).