Running with a phone - how do you do it?

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    butt pocket on my Nike running pants
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I stick it in the pocket of the stretch pants I run in. So far, so good. I like pocket sized phones though. Anxiously awaiting the release of the Galaxy S7 Mini, I use an S4 Mini and love it. I do have an armband but find it too fussy.

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I don't! I run too intensely - not necessarily FAST but up hills, on trails, paying attention to traffic. I want ZERO thought to be going into whether i am getting a call/text/email, to whether it will fall out or break, or the annoyance of it giggling around heavily on my arm or waist. I bring an i-pod nano for music which fits in my workout pants' back pocket, and wear my heart rate monitor which is on my wrist. the phone STAYS HOME!

Phew! I was getting worried I was the only one who didn't carry a phone.

Nope - I don't usually run with my phone, either. I used to, but phones have gotten too big. I have an armband for mine, but I HATE the way it feels and I can never get the headphones in a comfortable place and it's just distracting. Once in a while, I run with my phone if I'm in the middle of a closing or if I think a family member might need to reach me, but mostly, I hate it.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Respect all you running purists who run sans-phone, but I can't imagine not having one for emergencies. I was reading online a guy who tumbled and broke his ankle while on a run. He had to limp a half mile back to the nearest house and go bother the guy to use his phone so he could call his wife and get a ride home. Imagine if it had been something more serious. I realize 30 years ago (kids these days...get off my lawn...) no one had cell phones to run with, just seems unnecessarily risky to me.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That's the reason I carry one, in case something happens. I had a group of people come after me a few years ago that quite clearly did not have good intentions, I had my phone in my hand ready to call 999, luckily a car came along and stayed with me until I was safe.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I buy running leggings/shorts with a zip pocket

Please tell me where to find these. I have found one pair and they are the ugliest things on earth. I've searched far and wide, with no luck. Please tell me I can buy these in-store somewhere and not somewhere online where I'll have no idea if they fit or not!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Respect all you running purists who run sans-phone, but I can't imagine not having one for emergencies. I was reading online a guy who tumbled and broke his ankle while on a run. He had to limp a half mile back to the nearest house and go bother the guy to use his phone so he could call his wife and get a ride home. Imagine if it had been something more serious. I realize 30 years ago (kids these days...get off my lawn...) no one had cell phones to run with, just seems unnecessarily risky to me.

Not just so much for emergencies, but because Zombies Run! doesn't work without a phone. Also, I can track runs and have data and stuff.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Same here. I do some trail running from time to time, and I could take a nasty spill, and be unable to finish, and needing a ride. It happens. So, I just carry my phone.

That, and I use life360, so the wife can see where I'm at, and start getting concerned if I've not moved in 30 minutes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Please tell me where to find these. I have found one pair and they are the ugliest things on earth. I've searched far and wide, with no luck. Please tell me I can buy these in-store somewhere and not somewhere online where I'll have no idea if they fit or not!

I'm in the UK, sorry!
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I get that, and I probably would run with a phone in certain situations, but most of the time, I run a route pretty close to home or work, with lots of other people around. I do have a tag tied to my shoestring with my name and an emergency phone number engraved on it.

Although I have been thinking of getting my dog one of those backpacks so HE can carry my phone. And a water bottle.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Running capris with deep mesh pockets on the side of the thigh. http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1031035&vid=1&pid=144572012

I love these and I don't know why all running crops don't have these pockets!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I use either an armband (Amphipod brand--it's oversized and can fit my large phone, plus keys/id/etc) or a Camelbak (only on long or very hot runs when I need to take hydration and body glide and keys and food and...). In either case, if you're using it for music, I definitely recommend investing in some wireless headphones. :smile:

I have tried a hydration belt with a pocket in the past, but I found that the belt had a tendency to irk my digestive system--something about the pressure on my lower abdomen, I suppose.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use a cheap running belt/ fanny pack with elastic waistband b/c I can hold my phone and other stuff, too. check out tj maxx/ marshalls
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have a fanny pack type of thing specifically made for running called a running belt. Love it. Lays flat under my shirt, doesn't bounce around at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Running-BeSportWise-Samsung-Exercise-Experience/dp/B00PNHAFBY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I use a DIY armband. I got the idea from this video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=q-hT2Obsy_4 (min 1:00-2:00). They used a sock, but I decided to use an elbow support band because it's a tighter fit on my arm. Found it at the dollar store, and this idea works great!! My phone stays put!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    spibelt
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Same here. I do some trail running from time to time, and I could take a nasty spill, and be unable to finish, and needing a ride. It happens. So, I just carry my phone.

That, and I use life360, so the wife can see where I'm at, and start getting concerned if I've not moved in 30 minutes.

Right. I mean, I am a not-real-runner in some circles because I pretty much HAVE to have music/podcast/audiobook going while I run. Just seems risky to go without a phone if you have the option. But I am anti-risk. I no longer run trails alone that are more than a half mile from a trailhead due to wildlife and human risks. I have also used the life360 app in the past, it is pretty neat.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options

Know what you mean, though the mobile phone reception in my area is ridiculously poor, and my favourite run has no reception at all: half up and around a cliff in 8km. It's especially fun in the dark as there are no street lights, partly 10% inclination, the sea 80m below you and more cliffs on the other side of the road. It's seriously cool!

But anyway, emergency... yes, that's why I take my phone with me and to record my run route/stats/hr and have a map if I get lost. Only the phone was completely useless when I really needed it: the moment I realized I could not run properly that day because I had a starting new asthma flare up. At that moment I was some 7km from home *facepalm*, no inhaler with me, and no signal.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options

I'm in the UK, sorry!

Then please tell me! as I'm desperately looking for running pants with a decent pocket.

I consider trying out the Buddy Pouch, though I'm uncertain about the size., mini or normal. Just need one for my asthma inhaler, key and maybe a little pack of dried fruit for longer runs.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

Right. I mean, I am a not-real-runner in some circles because I pretty much HAVE to have music/podcast/audiobook going while I run. Just seems risky to go without a phone if you have the option. But I am anti-risk. I no longer run trails alone that are more than a half mile from a trailhead due to wildlife and human risks. I have also used the life360 app in the past, it is pretty neat.

Yup, I'm not a real runner either. I just enjoy listening to music on my phone while running, paying for stuff on my phone, and surfing the web and relaxing while I have some drinks after my monthly half marathon distance runs.