Potatoes

Options
2»

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I loved potatoes and eat them frequently. I eat them boiled, mashed and occasionally fried. As long as you fit them into your calorie goal you are fine. And your lunch sounds awesome. I may have to have that one day soon.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like. I tend to end only baked potatoes (no butter, just salt) and I cut it up when it's done and eat with green beans or as a side dish to fish or chicken. I don't eat more than 4-6 ounces per day. I also never eat mashed potatoes anymore or anything with milk and butter added or deep fried (fries). I don't even want that stuff anymore anyway.
  • perkymommy
    Options
    Potatoes are healthy until you put them into a deep fat fryer ;)

or you add a bunch of milk and butter
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Happy to hear this. I looove potato. Are they an issue if your insulin resistant??
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

Nothing wrong with those ingredients in moderation, though.

I use a tablespoon of butter and a quarter cup of milk (plus salt & pepper) to make two servings of mashed potatoes. Best mashed potatoes you will have.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I just put some hot Italian sausage with a little tomato sauce over a baked potato last night. It was delicious
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For starters, potatoes are a whole food...I'm personally of the opinion that whole foods are pretty good for you. Beyond that, you should look up the nutritional information on potatoes...they're very good for you...mind that you should also eat the skin.

One 213 gram potato packs 897 mg potassium (blows a banana out of the friggin' water), 4.7 grams of fiber, 4.3 grams of protein, 70% of the RDA for vitamin C, 30% of the RDA for B6, and 12% RDA for magnesium. The Irish had it right when they went to potatoes during the famine...it's about as close to the perfect singular food that you can get. I will never understand how this awesome food ever received such a bad rap.

It was actually potatoes that *caused* the famine (specifically, a disease targeting them). The Irish were already relying on them as a major source of calories and when potato blight began destroying the crops, they had few back-ups foods available.

Or, one could say the lack of potato caused the famine, as the Irish were depending on it nearly entirely. A good vote for genetic diversity in our foods, and eating a variety of foods.

Yay go, potatoes!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For starters, potatoes are a whole food...I'm personally of the opinion that whole foods are pretty good for you. Beyond that, you should look up the nutritional information on potatoes...they're very good for you...mind that you should also eat the skin.

One 213 gram potato packs 897 mg potassium (blows a banana out of the friggin' water), 4.7 grams of fiber, 4.3 grams of protein, 70% of the RDA for vitamin C, 30% of the RDA for B6, and 12% RDA for magnesium. The Irish had it right when they went to potatoes during the famine...it's about as close to the perfect singular food that you can get. I will never understand how this awesome food ever received such a bad rap.

It was actually potatoes that *caused* the famine (specifically, a disease targeting them). The Irish were already relying on them as a major source of calories and when potato blight began destroying the crops, they had few back-ups foods available.

Meh...guess I know more about nutrition than history...my point still stands...it's an awesome food. If I were to label any food a "super food", it would be the potato.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Meh...guess I know more about nutrition than history...my point still stands...it's an awesome food. If I were to label any food a "super food", it would be the potato.

Yes, I agree with you about it being awesome. I just had some for lunch!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Pre Irish Famine, the French were having problems with crop failure in the period leading up to the Revolution (a famine contributed to the political instability), and there were efforts to try and sell them on eating potatoes (something people in Europe were initially skeptical about) as a nutritious source of calories and one that would be less prone to crop failure than grains.

Anyway, agree it's awesome.

Re how to eat it, I actually rarely eat it baked, as I like the various smaller potatoes better than a standard baking potato. I eat them roasted with some olive oil and salt, maybe garlic and rosemary or dill. Of course I have protein and vegetables with them.
  • perkymommy
    edited April 2016
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

Nothing wrong with those ingredients in moderation, though.

I use a tablespoon of butter and a quarter cup of milk (plus salt & pepper) to make two servings of mashed potatoes. Best mashed potatoes you will have.

For me it is because potatoes are my weakness ;) and if I make mashed it's for a whole family so there's more of a chance that I will overeat them.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great source of potassium. I have them most days.