Potatoes

Options
How bad is it to eat a potato a day? I had a potato today with tuna fish on top, along with broccoli, the popcorn seasoning and left over of my soup. You can see my food diary. I really enjoyed it and I haven't ate a bake potato in over a year. Is it ok to have a potato a day? (I don't plan on doing it everyday but I do want another for tomorrow). If I keep it within my calorie range it won't have any effect will it? Trying to lose a few inches off my stomach before Saturday and I decided to wanted something different in my diet so I had a potato. How bad are they if you eat one a day? I never understood how they are considered 'bad'.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are good, even if you eat them everyday!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine, even better for you if you leave the skin on.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing. Thank you. I feel better because I feel like I need to change my diet because it has become boing and the potato really satisfied me.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Yes! Eat that potato!
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Potatos get such a bad rap but they are so good! High in vitamin C and for me they are very filling. I steam potatoes instead of boiling to make mashed and the texture and potato flavour are so good that I use very little butter and milk anymore.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with potatoes; potato, tuna and broccoli sounds like a great meal to me.

I think potatoes have suffered in the whole "no white foods*" demonisation, but just like all other fruit and veg, they can fit very well into a balanced diet.

*Which is pretty stupid when you consider that potatoes can be white, yellow, pink, purple, blue, orange etc.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Eat all the damn potatoes.

I love potatoes.

I probably eat them about 5-7 days a week. GIMME.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Labeling any food as bad (or good for that matter) is unwise IMHO.

Aside from negatives associated with the attachment of guilt to foods, everything is dose dependent. Lettuce may be considered by many as "good" but if your diet was predominantly lettuce it is likely that you would be deficient in fat, protein and some minerals. Similarly, many would say that pop tarts are "bad" but, within a well thought out and balanced diet that is rich in vitamins and minerals, they are nothing to worry about and a nice treat if you like them.

Back to potatoes - Nothing wrong with them, if you like them and they fit in with your calories and nutritional goals then eat them.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    This dude didn't seem to do too badly eating just potatoes for two months:

Potato diet

While I wouldn't go to this extreme potatoes are a nutritious food source.
  • M111111111
    M111111111 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I eat them every single day.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Not bad at all.
    Weight loss is about calories not type of food.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have plenty of beneficial fiber and other nutrients. If you can fit it into your calorie and macro goals for the day eat it! I love potatoes!!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I even put sour cream on top of mine!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes frequently. Just log the calories and you'll be fine.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    We eat potatoes all the time. They are so inexpensive and you can cook them so many different ways. Just make sure to weigh it and keep it within your calorie goal.
  • hollysaurasrawr
    hollysaurasrawr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are healthy until you put them into a deep fat fryer ;)
  • BlackPantherChick123
    BlackPantherChick123 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    This helps me a lot because I miss potatoes and love to experiment with them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    For starters, potatoes are a whole food...I'm personally of the opinion that whole foods are pretty good for you. Beyond that, you should look up the nutritional information on potatoes...they're very good for you...mind that you should also eat the skin.

One 213 gram potato packs 897 mg potassium (blows a banana out of the friggin' water), 4.7 grams of fiber, 4.3 grams of protein, 70% of the RDA for vitamin C, 30% of the RDA for B6, and 12% RDA for magnesium. The Irish had it right when they went to potatoes during the famine...it's about as close to the perfect singular food that you can get. I will never understand how this awesome food ever received such a bad rap.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    For starters, potatoes are a whole food...I'm personally of the opinion that whole foods are pretty good for you. Beyond that, you should look up the nutritional information on potatoes...they're very good for you...mind that you should also eat the skin.

One 213 gram potato packs 897 mg potassium (blows a banana out of the friggin' water), 4.7 grams of fiber, 4.3 grams of protein, 70% of the RDA for vitamin C, 30% of the RDA for B6, and 12% RDA for magnesium. The Irish had it right when they went to potatoes during the famine...it's about as close to the perfect singular food that you can get. I will never understand how this awesome food ever received such a bad rap.

It was actually potatoes that *caused* the famine (specifically, a disease targeting them). The Irish were already relying on them as a major source of calories and when potato blight began destroying the crops, they had few back-ups foods available.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid potatoes but that's because it would be a carb and part of a larger plate of food. Never mind that I would want butter and sour cream on it too. As a meal with a topping I don't see any problem with. You may want to try a sweet potato too one in a while. As a french fry or chip is where I draw the line and say no!