Options

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    Spend some time on the Internet searching out "High Fat Low Carb"
    www.dietdoctor.com is a great place to start.
    Carbs are NOT as good as people think. Only good for body builders.
    I've lost 10 stubborn pounds in the last 2 weeks.

Cheers

www.authoritynutrition.com is also a good source of info, but I learnt a lot from dietdoctor.

Don't be scared of fat! Be scared of sugar. A lot of low-fat food is high in sugar. Just something to note.

Why should I be scared of sugar? Should my Gu's cause me to be frightened when I down them during my long runs? Should I stop drinking Gatorade post-run?

The key part in your sentence was 'long runs' you are burning the sugars off, you wouldn't have a Gatorade sitting at your desk at work. But the point I was making was that most foods labelled 'low fat' particularly tv meals replace fats for sugar, and fat keeps you satisfied longer than sugar. That's all I meant. It was just something for her to keep in mind.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Cheers

www.authoritynutrition.com is also a good source of info, but I learnt a lot from dietdoctor.

Don't be scared of fat! Be scared of sugar. A lot of low-fat food is high in sugar. Just something to note.

Why should I be scared of sugar? Should my Gu's cause me to be frightened when I down them during my long runs? Should I stop drinking Gatorade post-run?

The key part in your sentence was 'long runs' you are burning the sugars off, you wouldn't have a Gatorade sitting at your desk at work. But the point I was making was that most foods labelled 'low fat' particularly tv meals replace fats for sugar, and fat keeps you satisfied longer than sugar. That's all I meant. It was just something for her to keep in mind.

I have a gatorade sitting at my desk right now, at work. Gotta make sure my blood glucose is at the right point for my run coming up during lunch (A "short run", ie 4 or 5 miles, haven't decided yet).

My point is: Don't be "scared" of any food.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options

Cheers

I have a gatorade sitting at my desk right now, at work. Gotta make sure my blood glucose is at the right point for my run coming up during lunch (A "short run", ie 4 or 5 miles, haven't decided yet).

Caution then :wink:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Cheers

Wut?
    Carbs are not the enemy.
    Explain how many have lost weight on moderate to high carb?

Hint: Carbs have nothing to do with wight loss..it's all about consuming less calories than your body needs to maintain weight.

Oh....10lbs in 2 weeks is surely water weight, especially if you cut your carbs.
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Wut?
    Carbs are not the enemy.

Hint: Carbs have nothing to do with wight loss..it's all about consuming less calories than your body needs to maintain weight.

Oh....10lbs in 2 weeks is surely water weight, especially if you cut your carbs.

I definitely see more water retention with more carbs, which falls off easily when consuming fewer. But it's just that - water. I think that a lot of the success with LCHF is the increased satiety from fat and protein, carbs seem to absorb quickly and leave you hungry, while protein and fat are slower burners.

That's not to say that carbs are inherently bad, it's just easier to overindulge on them.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Wut?
    Carbs are not the enemy.

I definitely see more water retention with more carbs, which falls off easily when consuming fewer. But it's just that - water. I think that a lot of the success with LCHF is the increased satiety from fat and protein, carbs seem to absorb quickly and leave you hungry, while protein and fat are slower burners.

That's not to say that carbs are inherently bad, it's just easier to overindulge on them.

I completely agree with your comments.. that's why a lot of low carbers want to recommend it to others but people get confused with the comment and think the low carber is trying to tell everyone they will lose weight just by cutting carbs and nothing else.
    But the satiety you get on a low carb is very real and so good for people who can't help but overindulge on high sugar/carb food - and the water weight you lose initially can be a real kick start for some people who want to see quick results on the scales.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't care if I lose 50lbs of water, as long as I lose 50lbs! LOL Carbs are bad for ME. Not to say I don't eat carbs, I just try and make them count for something nutritionally. Not much nutrition in bread, but it sure tastes good! But so does a bowl of fruit. And at least the fruit offers nutrition that the bread doesn't. So I choose fruit, over bread. It probably makes it easier for me that I appear to be gluten sensitive....I shouldn't eat bread anyways! LOL
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    I don't care if I lose 50lbs of water, as long as I lose 50lbs! LOL Carbs are bad for ME. Not to say I don't eat carbs, I just try and make them count for something nutritionally. Not much nutrition in bread, but it sure tastes good! But so does a bowl of fruit. And at least the fruit offers nutrition that the bread doesn't. So I choose fruit, over bread. It probably makes it easier for me that I appear to be gluten sensitive....I shouldn't eat bread anyways! LOL

But most of the calories in fruit come from . . . carbohydrates. I can understand preferring certain sources of carbohydrates over others, but if carbohydrates are bad for you, why eat fruit?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Not even close...

CICO...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Gun4a
    Carbs are body's preferred source of energy. If you don't work out hard, you don't really need that many carbs throughout the day, hence the "low carb/high fat diet works for so many people.

Not getting your point at all. I had 479g of carbs on Saturday which I would guess you would call high carb. I was in a calorie deficit and exceeded my protein and fat goals too.

Please explain the negative effects.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Cheers

Wut?
    Carbs are not the enemy.

This.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

There's plenty of nutrition in bread.

If "at least the fruit offers nutrition that the bread doesn't" then the bread also offers nutrition that the fruit doesn't.

Logic.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

There's lots of nutrient dense breads available. Personally I'd chose bread over fruit any day, because I don't really like fruit. Hasn't affected my progress. You prefer to eat lower carb, which is fine, I prefer to eat higher carb and that's fine too. At the end of the day it all comes down to calories :)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Cheers

Caution then :wink:

No need for fear. Calorie deficit gets the job done. Gatorade & all...

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Cheers

I was cleaning out some drawers yesterday and came upon some Gu I'd stashed there after getting free in a race packet. I literally screamed in terror!

Well, not literally.

And not at all.

I shuddered, though, since the flavor seemed unappealing.

Those post-race bananas are pretty scary too.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Cheers

I was cleaning out some drawers yesterday and came upon some Gu I'd stashed there after getting free in a race packet. I literally screamed in terror!

Well, not literally.

And not at all.

I shuddered, though, since the flavor seemed unappealing.

Those post-race bananas are pretty scary too.

Was it the Double Espresso flavor? I tend to love Gu, but that flavor was one of the nastiest things I've ever had.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Cheers

How much fat keeps you satisfied vs. carbs (as this thread is about all carbs) really depends. I find fat completely unsatisfying, so am satisfied just as long for less calories with low fat cottage cheese or yogurt (I tried it the other way, since if I have an excuse to eat more cheese, heck, I'll take it!). Also, I tend to find many starchy foods (like potatoes and sweet potatoes) quite filling. Adding oil or butter to them doesn't make them more filling.

Someone above asserted that only bodybuilders need carbs, which contradicts most of the endurance sport nutrition advice I've read). Also, of course, who cares what we need, as we are always getting more of a particular macro (or sometimes all three) than we technically need. And many foods that supply things we need (like vegetables) in a particular diet are, of course, largely carbs.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Wth is "gu"?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Wth is "gu"?

It's basically a little packet of flavored sugar gel that you can quickly eat during endurance sports like running or cycling.