Too many carbs?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it as a snack, but a gel for eating while working out -- like during a long run or bike ride.

https://guenergy.com/shop/energy-gel
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I love eating low-carb, high-fat. (Hence my username.) My GI tract is much, much happier and I'm able to easily eat at a deficit without struggle.

However, if I'm losing weight, it's the calorie deficit, not the lack of carbs. Many people successfully lose weight eating carbohydrates.

By no means do I think carbohydrates are the devil and that everyone who eats them is going to die from diabetes or obesity (or both). ;-)
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    By no means do I think carbohydrates are the devil and that everyone who eats them is going to die from diabetes or obesity (or both). ;-)

Well, that's refreshing.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Wth is "gu"?

It's basically a little packet of flavored sugar gel that you can quickly eat during endurance sports like running or cycling.

Ah, okay. I wondered if it was anything like a glucose tablet.

• jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You wondered about the relationship between carbohydrates and workouts: Simple carbohydrates are often found in bread, snack foods, cereals, pasta and crackers. These are processed quickly, giving your body a fast energy boost, but often resulting in an energy crash later. Complex carbohydrates help keep your body active much longer. They can be found in rice, potatoes and whole grains.

AND STILL WONDERING - You said you are losing slowly. What do you mean? 1/2 lb weekly, 1 lb weekly, 1/4 ... ?????????
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jwcanfield wrote: »
    You wondered about the relationship between carbohydrates and workouts: Simple carbohydrates are often found in bread, snack foods, cereals, pasta and crackers. These are processed quickly, giving your body a fast energy boost, but often resulting in an energy crash later. Complex carbohydrates help keep your body active much longer. They can be found in rice, potatoes and whole grains.

AND STILL WONDERING - You said you are losing slowly. What do you mean? 1/2 lb weekly, 1 lb weekly, 1/4 ... ?????????

Starches are complex carbohydrates -- bread, cereal, and pasta would all be complex carbohydrates. You are correct that many people don't find these very filling (although some people do), but it's more complicated than them being "simple." A simple carbohydrate is like the sugar in candy or soda (or fruit).
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You may want to split up your macros a bit differently. Looks like you have them set to the MFP standard. I'd increase your protein and fat and decrease the carbs. Do you like sweet potatoes? I find them more filling then regular potatoes and they aren't as starchy. I would also limit yourself to one piece of fruit at a time instead of having two. And lastly, try to cut out some of the processed foods. Good luck to you!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Well, that's refreshing.
    Yeah, keto'ers can be a little overzealous, I've found.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    allipops26 wrote: »
    Hi I was looking at my nutrition report and I think I am having too many carbs. Maybe that's why my weight loss is slow. I usually have porridge for breakfast , a salad for lunch and chicken, veg and potatoes for dinner. I thought I was eating healthy, but does anyone think I am going wrong ?
    I believe my diary is open.
    Thanks

Carbs per se won't slow down your weight loss. If carbs satiate you, you're fine. I look at my macros to make sure I am getting filling meals. When I do that, I can skip a snack.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Wth is "gu"?

It's basically a little packet of flavored sugar gel that you can quickly eat during endurance sports like running or cycling.

Ah, okay. I wondered if it was anything like a glucose tablet.

Kinda the same idea: Easily digestible sugars (Plus some electrolytes), in a gel form so you can consume it easily during long events (hour+).
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options

Well, that's refreshing.
    Yeah, keto'ers can be a little overzealous, I've found.

Q: You wanna know how to figure out if someone does Keto?

A: Don't worry! They'll farking tell you!

lol
  • allipops26
    allipops26 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies i do weight absolutely everything. Although i admit i sometimes miss logging the odd meal. I will take on board all your comments and look at the suggested reading. Thanks again
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, calories are for weight loss/gain.
    Macros are for satiety, some fitness goals, and some medical issues.
    Exercise is for fitness and can buy you a few extra calories to eat.

As long as your calories are in line, your macros won't affect weight loss.
    If you are struggling to stay within your calorie goal, experimenting with your macros might help, but don't sweat the small stuff if everything is going well! Good luck!

And just had to add, these threads would not devolve into a carb argument if there wasn't always one or two people who have to generalize that "Carbs make you hungrier! Carbs make you crave more carbs! Carbs aren't healthy!". Those things are true for some people, but not for all of us. I tend to eat over 175g of carbs every day, I never feel hungry or binge on them, and my blood glucose, blood pressure, and weight are all right in line. In fact, when I accidentally eat low carb I feel sluggish and ornery. Balanced macros work best for me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Wut?
    Carbs are not the enemy.
    Explain how many have lost weight on moderate to high carb?

Hint: Carbs have nothing to do with wight loss..it's all about consuming less calories than your body needs to maintain weight.

Oh....10lbs in 2 weeks is surely water weight, especially if you cut your carbs.

I definitely see more water retention with more carbs, which falls off easily when consuming fewer. But it's just that - water. I think that a lot of the success with LCHF is the increased satiety from fat and protein, carbs seem to absorb quickly and leave you hungry, while protein and fat are slower burners.

That's not to say that carbs are inherently bad, it's just easier to overindulge on them.

I completely agree with your comments.. that's why a lot of low carbers want to recommend it to others but people get confused with the comment and think the low carber is trying to tell everyone they will lose weight just by cutting carbs and nothing else.
    But the satiety you get on a low carb is very real and so good for people who can't help but overindulge on high sugar/carb food - and the water weight you lose initially can be a real kick start for some people who want to see quick results on the scales.

Well, I did low carb, and keto for at least 6 months.
    It wasn't for me.
    I was hungry and miserable all the time.\

Many low carber recommend not calorie counting. To me, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Overeating on fat is very, very easy.

If I want to get rid of 'water weight', I'll drink water and continue to eat carbs. If LC works for you, then all the power to you, but it personally wasn't good for me.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »
    Wut?
    Carbs are not the enemy.
    Explain how many have lost weight on moderate to high carb?

Hint: Carbs have nothing to do with wight loss..it's all about consuming less calories than your body needs to maintain weight.

Oh....10lbs in 2 weeks is surely water weight, especially if you cut your carbs.

I definitely see more water retention with more carbs, which falls off easily when consuming fewer. But it's just that - water. I think that a lot of the success with LCHF is the increased satiety from fat and protein, carbs seem to absorb quickly and leave you hungry, while protein and fat are slower burners.

That's not to say that carbs are inherently bad, it's just easier to overindulge on them.

I completely agree with your comments.. that's why a lot of low carbers want to recommend it to others but people get confused with the comment and think the low carber is trying to tell everyone they will lose weight just by cutting carbs and nothing else.
    But the satiety you get on a low carb is very real and so good for people who can't help but overindulge on high sugar/carb food - and the water weight you lose initially can be a real kick start for some people who want to see quick results on the scales.

Well, I did low carb, and keto for at least 6 months.
    It wasn't for me.
    I was hungry and miserable all the time.\

Many low carber recommend not calorie counting. To me, that sounds like a recipe for disaster. Overeating on fat is very, very easy.

If I want to get rid of 'water weight', I'll drink water and continue to eat carbs. If LC works for you, then all the power to you, but it personally wasn't good for me.

That's a shame. The majority of people find it very successful. But we are all different, that's why there's so many different ways of eating out there that we can experiment with and find the ideal approach for each of us :)
  • debmom2boyz
    debmom2boyz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was eating on a LCHF menu. I did lose weight. I have adjusted the carbs some; making wiser choices. Do I eat carbs, yes. I do try and limit my sugars as I don't like feeling sluggish when I eat cake/cupcakes etc.

There are so many options and choices, you have to do what is best for you.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have zero medical "need" to reduce carbs but decided to give it a try a year ago. I also eat high fat.
    I'll never go back.
    Do what you want. You don't have to have a metabolic disorder to choose different foods.
    It's YOUR decision.
  • shiley393
    shiley393 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Personally this thread has been one of the most important, informative threads I've ever seen on MFP! As a newbie, I've learned alot--thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Spend some time on the Internet searching out "High Fat Low Carb"
    www.dietdoctor.com is a great place to start.
    Carbs are NOT as good as people think. Only good for body builders.
    I've lost 10 stubborn pounds in the last 2 weeks.

Cheers

There are many nutritious whole food carbohydrates...there's absolutely nothing wrong with them...and ironically, blue zone regions of the world tend to eat diets relatively high in carbohydrates and yet they are some of the healthiest populations in the world.

10 Lbs in two weeks is in large part a glycogen dump.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Necro thread....

But also. Gu is a brand of dessert here in the U.K., really really indulgent desserts. So now I want a millionaires cheesecake at nearly midnight!