Low Carb and Light Headed

Options
When I am eating really low carb, I get light headed when I stand up quickly.

I really don't like it. Does that happen to anyone else? Is there an easy way around it without resorting back to carbs... (assuming that is what is causing it).

Thanks,

Vowder

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Have you gone through or are you going through the "carb flu" at this point in low carb?

All sorts of things happen in the beginning if you are "low low" carb such as going into keto. So yes it happens and is normal, if you are advanced in low carbing then I would say it may not be for you unless you can stick out about a week of the body adjusting to using fat for energy.

side effects are induction flu,leg cramps, constipation, headaches, bad breath, heart palpitations, low energy or low performance with exercise or activities.
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It seems to come and go. I can prevent it by standing up slowly (when on a couch or tying my shoes). It does seem to follow how low carb I go though. Hmmm...

I am prepared to put up with it for now. Don't like it at all though.

Wouter
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Vowder wrote: »
    When I am eating really low carb, I get light headed when I stand up quickly.

I really don't like it. Does that happen to anyone else? Is there an easy way around it without resorting back to carbs... (assuming that is what is causing it).

Thanks,

Vowder

Yes. Increase sodium consumption.

ETA: It would probably be best to ask this question in the Low Carb Daily group. They would be the ones with the most experience with this. I'm not sure the debate section is the best place for this.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    ^^What moe0303 said. Low blood pressure causes light-headedness when rising. More salt (sodium) is needed when going low carb, which will help with blood pressure.
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    when I did low carb I felt light headed all the time, especially so when I didn't take my Potassium/Omega/ Multivitamin pills, are you taking supplements?

increasing salt never worked for me, when I had an apple or some type of fruit it perked me up right away. I don't like low carb for that very reason. Plus my hair was falling out. I did the Ideal Protein diet btw.

• flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Increase good fats. That should help too.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Have you gone through or are you going through the "carb flu" at this point in low carb?

side effects are induction flu,leg cramps, constipation, headaches, bad breath, heart palpitations, low energy or low performance with exercise or activities.

Wow-no thanks! I'll stick with eating a healthy balance of protein, fat, and carbs!

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Agreed with sodium if you've been rather low lately. It can be a symptom of low blood pressure, try some GF chips. :wink:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »

Yes! Join this group. There's a whole detailed write up about it there.
  • Vowder
    Vowder Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help.... will do.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had this too. I eventually got stomach cramps so bad I ended up in the ER. They couldn't find anything wrong with me other than I did have high ketones in my blood. I left, got a breakfast biscuit sandwich and the cramps went away. I am thankfully losing 1lb/week not doing anything low carb this time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
    Options
    Not everyone is meant to eat low carb. Some people really need carbs to get them through the day, some people don't digest fat or protein so well.. everybody is different. Thus if low carb is not for you then don't do it.
  • ari7l
    ari7l Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Vowder wrote: »
    It seems to come and go. I can prevent it by standing up slowly (when on a couch or tying my shoes). It does seem to follow how low carb I go though. Hmmm...

I am prepared to put up with it for now. Don't like it at all though.

Wouter

Hey! You can try some great low carb-higher sodium soups/broth, it should help!