Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You guys are using "pre-workout" and "stimulant" interchangeably. My pre-workout stack includes six ingredients: creatine, beta alanine, citrulline malate, taurine, carnitine and caffeine. Only one of those items can be considered a stimulant.

Do your research.

Exactly. I take the exact same (Tier1). There's a huge benefit to those that a lot of novice lifters and people who don't compete, fail to understand.

Does a preworkout stack or any anything other than eating regular meals help a high level athlete? They might. For the other 99+% cleaning up regular nutrition and lifestyle is a much bigger benefit than supplements.

False dichotomy. Your diet can be on point AND you can take supplements.

Not False At ALL. I said fixing basic nutrition is much more benefit to the vast majority of us then droppig 100 every couple weeks at gnc to try and fix the problem.

Sure you can take supplements if your diet is spot on. May very well help but the spot on diet and lifestyle is the 800 pound gorilla in the corner

Why do you automatically assume that when someone asks about a pre-workout it's to cover up a bad diet?

I agree that many pre-packaged pre-workout are expensive and underdosed. I buy my supplements individually and in bulk. A fully dosed serving of the ingredients I listed above runs about $0.30.

Given the number of people overweight/obese and the number with diet related health issues, it's not really a bad assumption.

Do you think supplementation trumps a good diet, I'm guessing not. As I've said several times look at the factors that cause a perceived lack of energy, i.e, the root cause and then if you want supplement.

Just as a personal example, I was really dragging, wanted to nap when I hadn't napped for years. Went to the doctor, blood tests, found I had low iron, they did a bunch of tests including upper and lower GI to make sure there was no internal bleeding/cancer, etc. Tests came back fine, was put on an OTC iron supplement that fixed the problem. No pre-workout was going to take care of that.

Again, find the root cause of the problem, address it, then supplement for performance if desired.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You guys are using "pre-workout" and "stimulant" interchangeably. My pre-workout stack includes six ingredients: creatine, beta alanine, citrulline malate, taurine, carnitine and caffeine. Only one of those items can be considered a stimulant.

Do your research.

Exactly. I take the exact same (Tier1). There's a huge benefit to those that a lot of novice lifters and people who don't compete, fail to understand.

Does a preworkout stack or any anything other than eating regular meals help a high level athlete? They might. For the other 99+% cleaning up regular nutrition and lifestyle is a much bigger benefit than supplements.

Not False At ALL. I said fixing basic nutrition is much more benefit to the vast majority of us then droppig 100 every couple weeks at gnc to try and fix the problem.

Sure you can take supplements if your diet is spot on. May very well help but the spot on diet and lifestyle is the 800 pound gorilla in the corner

Why do you automatically assume that when someone asks about a pre-workout it's to cover up a bad diet?

I agree that many pre-packaged pre-workout are expensive and underdosed. I buy my supplements individually and in bulk. A fully dosed serving of the ingredients I listed above runs about $0.30.

Given the number of people overweight/obese and the number with diet related health issues, it's not really a bad assumption.

Do you think supplementation trumps a good diet, I'm guessing not. As I've said several times look at the factors that cause a perceived lack of energy, i.e, the root cause and then if you want supplement.

Just as a personal example, I was really dragging, wanted to nap when I hadn't napped for years. Went to the doctor, blood tests, found I had low iron, they did a bunch of tests including upper and lower GI to make sure there was no internal bleeding/cancer, etc. Tests came back fine, was put on an OTC iron supplement that fixed the problem. No pre-workout was going to take care of that.

Again, find the root cause of the problem, address it, then supplement for performance if desired.

So you're going to run wild assumptions based off of text, and what you perceive in your city.

Just because you had a personal experience with iron deficiency doesn't mean we all have health issues or a bad diet.

I'm an FBI cop, and have health and blood tests done regularly. I'm fine. And some days I feel tired, or like crap. Sometimes my concoction of a Monster or coffee with my preworkout does it. And my kidneys are normal. And my workouts don't involve 30 minutes of light cardio.

If you can't afford a pre, that's fine, not everyone has money to dump of products. But don't bash something wildly used, studied, and known to work.
  • Packerjohn
    Options

Do your research.

So you're going to run wild assumptions based off of text, and what you perceive in your city.

Just because you had a personal experience with iron deficiency doesn't mean we all have health issues or a bad diet.

I'm an FBI cop, and have health and blood tests done regularly. I'm fine. And some days I feel tired, or like crap. Sometimes my concoction of a Monster or coffee with my preworkout does it. And my kidneys are normal. And my workouts don't involve 30 minutes of light cardio.

If you can't afford a pre, that's fine, not everyone has money to dump of products. But don't bash something wildly used, studied, and known to work.

I'm not bashing anything. I'm glad you are healthy and find value in a preworkout. My point to the OP is make sure your health and diet is reasonable before relying on supplements. The impact of diet, sleep, etc on performance will be greater than supplements. If she is good with these things and/or working to improve no problem adding a supplement if she desires. Point is there are no magic pills, these are called supplements for a reason.

Also you mnrtioned my ability to afford supplements several times. know where my income sits compared to the population and based on that I could afford a preworkout better than the vast majority of people if I decided I wanted to use one.
  • martyqueen52
    edited April 2016
    Options

Do your research.

I'm not bashing anything. I'm glad you are healthy and find value in a preworkout. My point to the OP is make sure your health and diet is reasonable before relying on supplements. The impact of diet, sleep, etc on performance will be greater than supplements. If she is good with these things and/or working to improve no problem adding a supplement if she desires. Point is there are no magic pills, these are called supplements for a reason.

Also you mnrtioned my ability to afford supplements several times. know where my income sits compared to the population and based on that I could afford a preworkout better than the vast majority of people if I decided I wanted to use one.

Clearly you are bashing. Her food intake was never brought up, at all. She asked for a pre-workout, not advice on her overall macro-nutrient consumption.

Again, we all know food intake is important to performance. Anyone with a baseline knowledge in athletics knows this unless you're literally declared mentally retarded. But you never mentioned to add a pre in like you did, quoted above, until her intake was brought to attention and declared to not be an issues, so good way to back-track.

Also I did "mention" your ability to afford a supplement. That's cool you want to e-peen measure on MFP.... I deadlift 650 raw, squat 540, and bench 400 without a shirt. I can EPeen too... WOOOOOOOOOO

And a better pre for much more? Does it have EQ in it? DBol? Ah man... sounds like you got the hookup homie. You have no clue about a preworkout, what it's TRUE intention is. That last statement alone leads to me to believe you're some dude who probably runs.... benches 100 and doesn't even compound.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

Do your research.

Clearly you are bashing. Her food intake was never brought up, at all. She asked for a pre-workout, not advice on her overall macro-nutrient consumption.

Again, we all know food intake is important to performance. Anyone with a baseline knowledge in athletics knows this unless you're literally declared mentally retarded. But you never mentioned to add a pre in like you did, quoted above, until her intake was brought to attention and declared to not be an issues, so good way to back-track.

Also I did "mention" your ability to afford a supplement. That's cool you want to e-peen measure on MFP.... I deadlift 650 raw, squat 540, and bench 400 without a shirt. I can EPeen too... WOOOOOOOOOO

And a better pre for much more? Does it have EQ in it? DBol? Ah man... sounds like you got the hookup homie. You have no clue about a preworkout, what it's TRUE intention is. That last statement alone leads to me to believe you're some dude who probably runs.... benches 100 and doesn't even compound.

Dude...sounds like your supplements are giving you some rage. Chill.
  • martyqueen52
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Do your research.

You determined that off of text? Sketchy.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    "Sometimes my concoction of a Monster or coffee with my preworkout does it."

@martyqueen52, hope your life insurance is paid up, you loved ones might want it when something blows up.

• martyqueen52
    Options

@martyqueen52, hope your life insurance is paid up, you loved ones might want it when something blows up.

I'll take my doctors advice over yours. Perfectly safe for me. I noticed you're not one for detail either. Notice how I said sometimes? Yea... GG on comprehension.

• Packerjohn
    Options

I'll take my doctors advice over yours. Perfectly safe for me. I noticed you're not one for detail either. Notice how I said sometimes? Yea... GG on comprehension.

Only takes one.
  • martyqueen52
    Options

Only takes one.

Better be a good one then to take me down. Unless you're a doctor please refrain from giving me advice on caffeine consumption. Or any for that matter health related.
  • NASAwife13
    NASAwife13 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Haymaker is totally awesome!!! I buy it off vitamin world.com and right now they have em buy one get one! It is awesome!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I take mine to wake up in the morning. It has caffeine, vitamin C, Beta Alanine (hence the tingle that reminds me it's working), and other ingredients that get me ready for a rough workout at 6am in the morning. I started taking it when I gave up sugar, because I don't like black coffee. I also don't like sweeteners, so no coffee = really rough start to a workout in the AM. However, in the afternoons when I work out I rarely take it because food/carbs/protein throughout the day is enough. I also buy the cheaper stuff at Wal-Mart made by Six Star/Muscletech. Tastes decent, mixes well with my BCAA's and wakes me right up within 30 minutes at 5:30 in the morning.
  • Packerjohn
    edited April 2016
    Options

Only takes one.

Better be a good one then to take me down. Unless you're a doctor please refrain from giving me advice on caffeine consumption. Or any for that matter health related.

Actually I was giving financial advice regarding having your life insurance paid. I do have a financial background.

To be honest I'm a bit surprised if someone tells their doctor they stack preworkout and monster on occasion and the doctor doesn't do a WTH
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Do your research.

You determined that off of text? Sketchy.
    Well you seem to be in a bad mood.....or is that normal?