Options
2»

Replies

• ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    KatsCradle wrote: »
    Interval training 3x a week & you'll run a mile in no time

Yeah, cause that's how distance runners are trained initially...by doing intervals. NOT!
  • sper777
    sper777 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make it this way: I love hearing music. A lot of different genres. Pop,rock,trap,oldschool rap, electro, house, 30min before i start to run a search for some music. When i found one, i never hear it till the end. Becouse i want to feel the music when i run. I wanna feel the spirit when im up to run as fast as i can.
    When you got your favorite songs, put your earphones in, go outside (i always run at night) and make it to be funny. Play with your feet, do some dancing steps, be crazy. Sport is fun. For everyone. Just try it
  • professorhuggins
    professorhuggins Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to hate running. Then we had kids #2 and 3, so now it's my Zen time away from the crazy. I train for half marathons now just for the time alone for a few hours on a Saturday, lol.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I'm pretty far into my weight loss journey and still am wanting to accomplish one thing-to be able to run a mile.
    Running is very scary to me as it's hard for me to breath since my cardio isn't really up to par as i mostly focus on lifting. How can I start training to run a mile and actually enjoy the process? any tips?

Then you are running too fast. Slow down. Walk if you have to.

If you can't sing while you run you are going too fast. :)

You will have to ease up to it over eight weeks or so. Slowly build up your cardio and it will come. Cardio adjusts to greater demands even faster than muscle building.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    C25K made a runner out of me. I alway hated running, but for whatever reason decided to give it a shot a few years ago. I downloaded the app from ZenLabs, followed the program exactly, and by the end I was running for 30 minutes (about 3 miles) without stopping or dying! It felt amazing to accomplish that.

Look into it, it's a great way to start running.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Slow down...turtle pace...shuffle if you have to. ;) Over time, you'll find yourself going further and further. Then, once you can get the mileage going, the real challenge is improving your pace. But to start, don't even worry about going too slow. Go as slow as you need in order to keep it up.

I've been loving running for over 20 years now. The thing that makes me love it the most is doing it outdoors on beautiful trails! It's one of my favorite things. A real stress-buster! B)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    KatsCradle wrote: »
    Interval training 3x a week & you'll run a mile in no time

I'd say that's more for speed. OP isn't that advanced yet. She just wants to get herself a little distance first. :)
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    bcsking wrote: »
    A running buddy is the bast way to enjoy a run. you start talking and the next thing you know you will have a couple miles done! having someone waiting for you helps get out out of bed too!

This is Tessa, my running buddy and Fursonal Trainer. :laugh:

962doi85lzs1.jpg
  • mfpgal14
    mfpgal14 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Always run with music! Bring a set of headphones.. It helps a lot. Whether you want to run outside or on the treadmill.. Start off slow. First start off with a walk, and then whenever you are ready , increase the speed and run for 30 seconds, after that give yourself a 1-2 minute break and increase the speed and take it up to 40 seconds. If you can repeat this, running will become a lot more easier to do. Enjoy it!