lending friends money... and having to ask for it back? :(

Options
Erikalynne18
Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
I make it a habit to try not to lend money out, especially to friends because I find it can be awkward. However, I bought a new laptop and a friend of mine asked to buy my old one from me. I agreed since we are planning a big move so I need the money and she needs a computer. She just started a new job however so she said she couldn't pay me immediately because she had to pay rent but would pay me the next pay. My boyfriend also sold her an old phone around this time....

Fast forward to now. It's been over 2 months and no money for either :( I've known her for about 10 years so I don't want to ruin the friendship over this, how should I go about asking for the money? I have mentioned it and she said she is planning to pay me as soon as possible. I could understand if she was behind on a lot of bills, however from her fb I see she has a "very active" social life on the weekends so that kind of pisses me off :/

Also, we are moving to a different province the end of this month so I need to get the money now or I know I won't get it back at all :( Any advice? I feel weird "asking" for money, but at the same time... it's money owed to me! lol. My boyfriend is also getting pissed as well. The phone wasn't expensive, but it's more the principle behind the whole matter.

Advice? (and yes, in retrospect I shouldn't have given her the laptop before I received payment, I was being too nice).

Replies

• Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Trying to think of ways you can keep the friendship and it'd be difficult.

Be blunt with her and just explain that you need either the cash or the items back by a particular date (like a week from now or heck Monday). Let her know that you need the money to move. If she doesn't have the items or cash to you by the date you set then I'd go to small claims court. It sucks and some people may bash me for getting legal involved but that's what it's for.

I hope you don't lose your friend over this, I'm sure we've all been there and getting burned sucks.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    "hey so I actually need my laptop back...and since you haven't paid for it yet, I'm sure you understand, I'll come pick it up tomorrow". Then post it on craigslist.

Anytime I give someone something without getting the money first, I assume they won't pay me back...so then its a bonus if they do. I look at it as "if I am not ready to lose the money (if they don't pay up) then I shouldn't be giving it to them in the first place."
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I once bought a friend a plane ticket. We had traveled together for a work thing, and she somehow accidentally canceled her return flight. I don't even know how. After much begging with the airline representatives, I finally just bought her the ticket so we could get home. $500. Big mistake. Almost a full year of "I spent my whole paycheck already" "We need the money to take care of the car" "I can't give you anything from this paycheck because we're going to Disneyland" "I meant to give you something this check, really! Sorry, but I forgot". What I should have done, in hindsight, was immediately establish that she would pay me back $50 out of each paycheck until the total had been reached.
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    "hey so I actually need my laptop back...and since you haven't paid for it yet, I'm sure you understand, I'll come pick it up tomorrow". Then post it on craigslist.

This. Just be no-nonsense about getting the items back.
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    She is supposed to come by tonight after work to pay me, but I don't know if she will actually show up or say she couldn't make it, couldn't get a drive, too hot to walk, etc.... :(

I'm hoping she just shows up and gives me the money but since it has been 2 months already, I have my doubts :(
  • jacobhyatt91
    jacobhyatt91 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    unless its a fairly high amount ($50 or higher) i usually let it fly...mostly because i find it extremely awkward asking for the money even if its entitled to me..
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Just invite your friend over to watch Jerry McGuire. When you get up to the "Show me the money" scene, scream the scene out loud while looking her straight in the eyes.

show-me-the-money-1-o.gif
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options

This. Just be no-nonsense about getting the items back.
    PERFECT!!!
  • Erikalynne18
    Options

I might try this is she doesn't show up tonight.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Make sure you let us know! Im interested to see how this works out for you!
  • TheRealJohnnyDelWalker
    Options
    Have you thought about asking her to pay what she can now and make payments on the rest? It would suck to lose a 10 year friendship over this, but she's gotta make good on the arrangement too. I'd be flexible as long as she's making some effort to get it cleared up.
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    unless its a fairly high amount ($50 or higher) i usually let it fly...mostly because i find it extremely awkward asking for the money even if its entitled to me..

all together it's about $250 she owes for the laptop, phone, and $20 borrowed for bus fair her first week back at work. The $20 I don't really care about, and the cell isn't a huge deal, it's the computer that is the most costly.... And well the fact she hasn't paid back ANY of it :(
  • Chlochloeaway
    Options
    Yeah.... I've a bit of a different situation. I gave my friend quite a large sum of money over 5 months ago and I've been getting 10 euros here and there every few weeks. That was not part of the deal! It'll be about 2 years before I get it all back at this rate....sigh!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    ask her if she wants to pay in installments.

if she doesn't go for that, just take the computer back and tell her you will give it to her once she pays you. She's taking advantage of you.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I would tell her you have someone else who is interested in buying the items and tell her if she can't pay you for them, you want them back. And don't make the mistake of "loaning" anything to her (or anyone else with whom you have a personal relationship) again. If you can't afford to make it a gift, then don't do it at all because you'll either have to forget what they owe you or risk the relationship by constantly asking them for it.
  • Erikalynne18
    Options
    Have you thought about asking her to pay what she can now and make payments on the rest? It would suck to lose a 10 year friendship over this, but she's gotta make good on the arrangement too. I'd be flexible as long as she's making some effort to get it cleared up.

I thought this was what we agreed upon, however the first payment never came :/ I told her I just needed it all paid up by the end of July since we are moving to another province. She had 3 months to make payments but hasn't paid anything yet. I don't want to lose the friendship but I'm not up for giving away my things and money either! :(
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'd just ask for it. The fact that she HASN'T forgotten to pay you...is just neglecting to do it would be enough to piss me off. She is clearly taking advantage of the situation. Lay it on the line. Say you need the money ASAP as somebody said, for moving expenses, and leave it at that. If she doesn't pay you back SOMETHING...then is she really your friend???
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options

all together it's about $250 she owes for the laptop, phone, and $20 borrowed for bus fair her first week back at work. The $20 I don't really care about, and the cell isn't a huge deal, it's the computer that is the most costly.... And well the fact she hasn't paid back ANY of it :(

Did you know before this if she was bad with money?

If she falls through with paying you tonight, just call her up and state matter of factly you are picking up your laptop since you are moving to a new province and need the money to help with moving expenses (she doesn't need to know if this is strictly true or not). Even if she promises to pay you before you move, just reiterate you are taking the laptop back because you need the money.

If she refuses to give your property back or pay you before you move....consider it an investment in knowing she wasn't a very good friend. Friends don't screw over friends.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Post-dated cheques are the best!

I owed my SIL $750. She took the money out week by week, regardless of whether or not the time was ideal for us financially. It was only fair. It was fantastic because she got the money she was owed in a timely manner without asking. We managed to pay our debt fairly quickly. Now we're all smiles. She got her money, we don't owe her a dime!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If she were a real friend she would have paid you without being asked or would have approached you with some kind of installment plan proposal.